Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:54:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin at the US Senate  (Read 67081 times)
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 03:26:51 PM

The Foundation often makes it appear as if they represent all of Bitcoin and they state that at their web site.  Sometimes they say they represent just their members but they only do that when they are pressed or when they are in a defensive posture like this thread.

When they say "Bitcoin", they mean the software, not the people using the software. The main developer of the Bitcoin software is paid by the foundation. I do not think they try to represent all the people which uses the "Bitcoin" software.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 03:31:26 PM

So, FWIW, I think this guy should say something there.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 03:34:53 PM

The Foundation often makes it appear as if they represent all of Bitcoin and they state that at their web site.  Sometimes they say they represent just their members but they only do that when they are pressed or when they are in a defensive posture like this thread.

When they say "Bitcoin", they mean the software, not the people using the software. The main developer of the Bitcoin software is paid by the foundation. I do not think they try to represent all the people which uses the "Bitcoin" software.
The word software is misleading.
Its not the software, its the combination of encryption, distributed networking and mathematical truths that makes the protocol useful.
The software is just a manifistation of the protocol, which is just a manifistation of those elements.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:18:39 PM

My issue is that the foundation, in my opinion, is just repeating the same system that I was hoping Bitcoin and other new innovations might eventually free us from.

How can a software "free us from" the current political system?
The same way that cars allowed us a move on from the horse and cart, or how telephones enabled us to move on from posting letters.  

Advising is great, however I don't believe we should conform to a dated political system where the "authority" is not willing to inform themselves.

They are willing to inform themselves, otherwise there would be no hearings.
You missed out a lot of the meat from that paragraph so I will assume you agreed with those sentiments Wink. True they are willing to have the hearing though, I would hope that their idea of informing themselves goes beyond talking to a select group of people however.

Even if the foundation has Bitcoins best interests at heart today, tomorrow those interests will shift until eventually the core philosophies have been eroded.

What evidence you have which indicates this will happen?

Consider for a moment the United States Constitution and how it has changed since its conception. The banking system once had a useful function of value which has eventually eroded into the corruption that we have today. If you put any idea into the wrong hands then don't expect a positive result. I cannot forecast into the future obviously, but history I feel offers a good indication to where the foundation could potentially lead.

Sometimes new definitions need to be invented, that's how innovation works. Law, politics, education and economics should adapt to new advances. Honestly though, I have not yet considered what I "want to do" on these matters, that is something the entire community would need to reflect upon. I do however feel with the advent of social media and so on, there is a far lesser need for advisers. The general public need to be informed, not the dinosaurs who will only care if they can somehow control and manipulate it.

How do you expect the "dinosaurs" inform the "general public" if there is less and less "advisers" from "Law, politics, education and economics" providing the necessary information?
So the idea is for the advisers(The Foundation in this instance) to inform government who will then in turn inform the general public? So we expect no misinformation or propaganda in this chain of events? Anyway I did not say that advising is bad, or that lesser of them is a good idea, in fact here is a direct quote ("Advising is great"). Obviously sharing information is always a good idea, the Foundation however act as more than mere advisers by not just acting as facilitators of knowledge, but as the voice itself. Big difference.

I guess an important question to ask before arguing my point any further would be...
Do you feel that the foundation have, or intend to establish themselves as an authority on behalf of Bitcoin?
If so do you not see any potential for that authority to lead to negative outcomes?

If you say no to either of those then that is just a difference of opinion and time will tell.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 04:26:36 PM

How about we vote to shut down the foundation ---> profit.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 04:35:28 PM

How about we vote to shut down the foundation ---> profit.

I don't think they will shut down.  Other groups could form, such as Bitcoin users group so the Foundation is not the only game in town. 
If they don't shut down even though the majority of the community voted for that, they aren't really doing anything for the community, but rather for themselves.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:25:10 PM

Whatever...

Governments will exist, money will circulate, people will have debates, binary codes will be improved.
corebob

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:31:18 PM

I haven't been around here long enough to say for sure but I wouldn't criticise the foundation without a good reason.
The way I see it, the only way the foundation or the developers can make any harm to the currency is to make a change to the protocol that is not backwards compatible.
Like changing the encryption scheme from binary field curves to something more mainstream
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:50:20 PM

Other pages:

We are determined to keep Bitcoin rooted in its core principles: non-political economy, openness and independence. While we aim to advance standards and security, we remain strong advocates of the liberating power of decentralized money. Our goal is to act as both an organizing body for Bitcoin and simultaneously be inclusive of the general Bitcoin community. Only then will our mission succeed.

And now they are going to the US Senate...
...to get APPROVED BY U.S.Govt. stamp.
ffssixtynine

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 06:36:53 PM

Other pages:

We are determined to keep Bitcoin rooted in its core principles: non-political economy, openness and independence. While we aim to advance standards and security, we remain strong advocates of the liberating power of decentralized money. Our goal is to act as both an organizing body for Bitcoin and simultaneously be inclusive of the general Bitcoin community. Only then will our mission succeed.

I keep hearing this from people who then have no counterpoint. What is your alternative? You want to go underground? And you're completely misrepresenting the quote as well.

If you want it underground then I'm not going to argue that point. As a technologist and an entrepreneur I think it's a poor idea and politically lead, and I think it's bad for Bitcoin and for the masses.

If you want to use Bitcoin as your tool to try and change the way we're governed then go right ahead, but you do not represent Bitcoin - you represent an ideological point of view and I'm good with that. The Foundation, and I'm not saying they are the best thing ever so don't get me wrong, are there to represent Bitcoin. They are not there to take on the government and nor is Bitcoin.

I'd also like to add that this whole anti-government/libertarianism is a very American thing. There'll be some non US citizens in this thread who think the same (since this is Bitcoin) but across the rest of the world it's really seen as quite an odd thing. Yeah democracy has faults and looking from the outside America seems particularly weird, but Bitcoin isn't the fix you're looking for.

I don't think you'll find for one second anyone here wants the US, or any country, interfering with the Bitcoin protocol or development. However, here's the thing. They already do. The way mining is currently seen, AML, KYC, exchanges, future coloured coin issues - they already interfere. So the key is trying to limit that interference to something which doesn't get in the way, so business can operate, so miners can mine without wondering about the feds knocking on the door, so people can be compliant with tax law, so more places can accept Bitcoin, so people can buy it safely, and so on.

So, stick your head in the sand or finger up at the world and carry on regardless or try and carve a path which works for everyone?
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 06:56:26 PM

Yeah democracy has faults and looking from the outside America seems particularly weird, but Bitcoin isn't the fix you're looking for.

I see...
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 07:36:58 PM

Other pages:

I don't think acceptance would make Bitcoin independent or non-political, that suggests government would approve and keep their hand out of the pot?
Do you think this will be the case? I have to say though, perhaps the result either way would lead to the same potential results.

I keep hearing this from people who then have no counterpoint. What is your alternative? You want to go underground? And you're completely misrepresenting the quote as well.

If you want it underground then I'm not going to argue that point. As a technologist and an entrepreneur I think it's a poor idea and politically lead, and I think it's bad for Bitcoin and for the masses.

My statements (I am assuming I am one of the "people") are directed towards the foundation. I would like Bitcoin to be accepted, just not compromised or handed over to any central authority in any way, shape or form. Acceptance would mean greater value and far less risk involved, although lets not discount the possibility of the Foundation doing a bad job and swaying Bitcoin in the wrong direction. I dislike the potential outcomes that might result if the foundation become THE authority, so that is my main gripe personally.

If you want to use Bitcoin as your tool to try and change the way we're governed then go right ahead, but you do not represent Bitcoin - you represent an ideological point of view and I'm good with that. The Foundation, and I'm not saying they are the best thing ever so don't get me wrong, are there to represent Bitcoin. They are not there to take on the government and nor is Bitcoin.

I'd also like to add that this whole anti-government/libertarianism is a very American thing. There'll be some non US citizens in this thread who think the same (since this is Bitcoin) but across the rest of the world it's really seen as quite an odd thing. Yeah democracy has faults and looking from the outside America seems particularly weird, but Bitcoin isn't the fix you're looking for.

I live in the UK, and if I am not mistaken most of the World has been rioting and trying to speak out against their government.

I don't think you'll find for one second anyone here wants the US, or any country, interfering with the Bitcoin protocol or development. However, here's the thing. They already do. The way mining is currently seen, AML, KYC, exchanges, future coloured coin issues - they already interfere. So the key is trying to limit that interference to something which doesn't get in the way, so business can operate, so miners can mine without wondering about the feds knocking on the door, so people can be compliant with tax law, so more places can accept Bitcoin, so people can buy it safely, and so on.

So, stick your head in the sand or finger up at the world and carry on regardless or try and carve a path which works for everyone?

The current system does not seem to be working very well, the economic collapse, war, poverty and so on are shining examples of this. I would argue ignoring these points equates to a head in the sand, doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results  Roll Eyes. I will however reserve my right to put my finger up at anyone who wants to express my views for me, Bitcoin doesn't need a savior and will get on fine without the Foundation. Smiley
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 09:05:25 PM

This won't end in a good way.
They might even corrupt our so called "foundation".

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
AgeraS

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:11:08 PM

If this does end in a bad way, just remember which group it was that thought is was a good idea to get involved with the US government; The Foundation.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 09:13:23 PM

Also remember that we don't need a foundation and that I was right.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:21:33 PM

I would suspect that by-n-large, the interest of the members of the foundation and those of the US govt align.  Most of the former would like to become the size of players who dominate the economy, or a footprint within it.  The latter would be happy to see that happen as it is relatively more straightforward to control such a construct.

In the 90's there was considerable consternation about the possibility for the unwashed masses to communicate with one another freely due to developments in cryptography.  As we can see now, using strong cryptography for communications did indeed become widespread, but channeled through organizations who were pliable.  I suspect that the best outcome which could be hoped for from the perspective of our leaderships would be that crypto-currency evolution follows this same basic pattern.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:24:51 PM

Link please.  There were very few people who expressed some reservations when the discussion about the possibility of a foundation was first floated.  You can go back and look at the thread to discover who they were if you are interested.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 10:20:02 PM

Link please.  There were very few people who expressed some reservations when the discussion about the possibility of a foundation was first floated.  You can go back and look at the thread to discover who they were if you are interested.

Care enough to link the thread?
Would be much appreciated.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:34:44 PM

Care enough to link the thread?
Would be much appreciated.

Took a little while for me to find it, but here you go:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49841.0

It'll probably make for some interesting reading now that we have some hind-sight, but I've not bothered yet.

leemar

Activity: 193

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:57:57 PM

Let them know that the USD is no longer the primary currency exchanged for BTC.

Good luck to Patrick and other representatives.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: