Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:52:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin at the US Senate  (Read 67080 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 04:48:57 PM

From the Forbes article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/13/sanitizing-bitcoin-coin-validation/):

In the short term, they talk about a limited database that keeps track only of registered identities and their activities with participating companies, but it’s obvious that their ambitions are grander and that a longer term prospect is to take advantage of the transparency of the Bitcoin system to keep track of which Bitcoin is tainted by associations with black markets. Waters says that the development of that aspect will depend on “community feedback".

This is the kind of disaster we're trying to warn you about. How long will it be before pressure is brought to bear on core developers to make coin tainting part of the core software?
In a global network, who gets to decide which coins are tainted?

Please do not cooperate with this, it will be the end of Bitcoin.

Possessing money and transferring money should never have been made a crime. That act was the beginning of limitless government power over free speech and free enterprise.

Good thing we have CoinJoin, DarkWallet, and some future wallet integration to look forward to. Oh, and other bitcoin-using countries that don't give a crap about this. Yes, this is annoyinng and scary, but hopefully not bitcoin-threatening.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 04:49:43 PM

http://www.banking.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Hearings.Hearing&Hearing_ID=955322cc-d648-4a00-a41f-c23be8ff4cad

The list of people appearing at the Senate banking committee has been published. Tony Gallippi from BitPay will be there, as will Chris Larsen of Ripple and the president of BIPS.

What the hell? Did they move it from Monday the 18th to Tuesday the 19th? Or is this a follow-up meeting? (I'm going to have to change my schedule at work now)

I see, this is a complete different hearing in front of a different Senate hearing than the original one in this post.  This hearing is the "The Present and Future Impact of Virtual Currency" before the COMMITTEE ON BANKING, HOUSING, AND URBAN AFFAIRS SUBCOMMITTEE ON NATIONAL SECURITY AND INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND FINANCE and SUBCOMMITTEE ON ECONOMIC POLICY.

So there are hearing on Monday and Tuesday.

My first thought, too, but there are no hearings scheduled for Monday in there.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 04:55:03 PM

Ah, found it!

Monday, Nov 18th, is the original hearing with Homeland Security guys
http://www.hsgac.senate.gov/hearings/beyond-silk-road-potential-risks-threats-and-promises-of-virtual-currencies

Tuesday, Nov 19th, is a different hearing with Banking guys
http://www.banking.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Hearings.Hearing&Hearing_ID=955322cc-d648-4a00-a41f-c23be8ff4cad
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:07:54 PM

At least they did not call in Inaba(Josh) from BFL lol.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 05:11:08 PM

They should have. It would have stalled any discussions, decisions, and legislation for at least "two weeks"TM (i.e. a year)
Arksun

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:01:29 PM

It's going to be very interesting to see how the market reacts during this period.  One could argue they already are, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a sudden big movement in the price of Bitcoin up or down just before the hearings, and then shortly after.

It's something we see a lot in other markets like precious metals whenever there is going to be an announcement on employment figures or QE tapering, the market plays its little game around it with a sharp bounce.

▄▄█▀▀█▄▄
  ▄▄█████▄▄█████▄▄
████  ███  ███  ████
  ▀▀█████▀▀█████▀▀

▀█▄▄  ▀▀█▄▄█▀▀   ▄▄█
 ▀▀███▄▄     ▄▄██▀██
     ▀███   ██▀  ▄█
██     ██  ██ ▄██▀██
▀██    ██  ███▀  ▄██
 ▀███▄▄██  ██ ▄███▀
    ▀▀███  ▀██▀▀
Just.Bet 

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
DICE
LOTTERY
PLINKO
COIN FLIP
CRASH
WHEEL
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
        ███████       ▄▄██▄
                  ▄▄███▀▀██▄
      ██████   ▄███████▄▄███▄
               ▀██  █████████▄
                ▀█████████▀▀██▄
████████████     ▀███▀▀███▄▄██▀
██  ████  ██      ▀██▄▄███▀▀
█████▀▀█████  ██   ▀██▀▀
█████▄▄█████
██  ████  ██   ██████
████████████
DECENTRALIZED
PROVABLY FAIR
ON CHAIN GAMES
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
[/center]
waxwing

Activity: 469
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:21:21 PM

From the Forbes article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/13/sanitizing-bitcoin-coin-validation/):

In the short term, they talk about a limited database that keeps track only of registered identities and their activities with participating companies, but it’s obvious that their ambitions are grander and that a longer term prospect is to take advantage of the transparency of the Bitcoin system to keep track of which Bitcoin is tainted by associations with black markets. Waters says that the development of that aspect will depend on “community feedback".

This is the kind of disaster we're trying to warn you about. How long will it be before pressure is brought to bear on core developers to make coin tainting part of the core software?
In a global network, who gets to decide which coins are tainted?

Please do not cooperate with this, it will be the end of Bitcoin.

Possessing money and transferring money should never have been made a crime. That act was the beginning of limitless government power over free speech and free enterprise.

Good thing we have CoinJoin, DarkWallet, and some future wallet integration to look forward to. Oh, and other bitcoin-using countries that don't give a crap about this.
I fervently hope you're right. The CoinJoin idea won't be helpful in the true nightmare scenario (which is pretty much described in the article): only greenlisted addresses can be used to buy goods and services in the USA (and in this scenario, also the EU, Russia, China and everywhere there's a decent sized economy). At this point Bitcoin would just die out as it would be offering little or nothing of interest (the greenlisting functioning as the third party, which collects fees etc, and who knows how long 'limited supply' would last). If people still saw the value in a blockchain they would just make government controlled ones.

On balance, my crystal ball says that outcome is very unlikely. But that's what the powers that be are going to be pressing for. The international part of the argument is the only thing keeping me optimistic. But think of it this way: such actions will not only dramatically suppress the growth of the Bitcoin economy, but also make all of us trying to keep using it feel like criminals.

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 07:12:19 PM

Will look for it on C-SPAN

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 07:38:11 PM

He would have probably said: You need to pre-call me 1 year earlier.  Cheesy

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:39:20 PM

It's going to be very interesting to see how the market reacts during this period.  One could argue they already are, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a sudden big movement in the price of Bitcoin up or down just before the hearings, and then shortly after.

I'll make sure to tweet something inoccuous while sitting in on the meeting, and make tons of profit on the resulting misdirected market move.

(I'm kidding. I don't tweet)
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:42:50 PM

I'll blow you kisses if I see the camera pan around  Grin
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:45:08 PM

I fervently hope you're right. The CoinJoin idea won't be helpful in the true nightmare scenario (which is pretty much described in the article): only greenlisted addresses can be used to buy goods and services in the USA (and in this scenario, also the EU, Russia, China and everywhere there's a decent sized economy).

This won't fly in EU, due to their already established and fervently (publicly) defended privacy laws. If all addresses must be greenlisted, and thus known, everyone paying everyone else will know where everyone else spent their received coins on. It would be a privacy nightmare that would mandate the use of coin mixers.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 09:06:43 PM

I fervently hope you're right. The CoinJoin idea won't be helpful in the true nightmare scenario (which is pretty much described in the article): only greenlisted addresses can be used to buy goods and services in the USA (and in this scenario, also the EU, Russia, China and everywhere there's a decent sized economy).

This won't fly in EU, due to their already established and fervently (publicly) defended privacy laws. If all addresses must be greenlisted, and thus known, everyone paying everyone else will know where everyone else spent their received coins on. It would be a privacy nightmare that would mandate the use of coin mixers.
I don't see this happening.
Greenlisting billions of addresses is not worth it.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 09:24:44 PM

"Don't hash me, bro!"
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 09:55:37 PM

Tony's in the hot seat! Tony's in the hot seat! Tony's in the hot seat! And we thought Gavin had it bad when he addressed the CIA, et al. a couple years back.

I wonder if it'll be filmed.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:11:24 PM

I fervently hope you're right. The CoinJoin idea won't be helpful in the true nightmare scenario (which is pretty much described in the article): only greenlisted addresses can be used to buy goods and services in the USA (and in this scenario, also the EU, Russia, China and everywhere there's a decent sized economy). At this point Bitcoin would just die out as it would be offering little or nothing of interest (the greenlisting functioning as the third party, which collects fees etc, and who knows how long 'limited supply' would last). If people still saw the value in a blockchain they would just make government controlled ones.

On balance, my crystal ball says that outcome is very unlikely. But that's what the powers that be are going to be pressing for. The international part of the argument is the only thing keeping me optimistic. But think of it this way: such actions will not only dramatically suppress the growth of the Bitcoin economy, but also make all of us trying to keep using it feel like criminals.
Actually, some people are going full steam ahead with constructing exactly that nightmare scenerio, and making a buck while doing it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qk8yl/bitcoinism_is_it_time_to_boycott_all_us_bitcoin/
corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:23:40 PM

With this as a backdrop I can't say I expect much good to come out of such a meeting

http://rt.com/usa/wikileaks-tpp-ip-dotcom-670/
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 03:23:14 AM

Word to the wise...once they put hands on you, they have to arrest you for something.  The paperwork and liability issues are easier for them, its their training.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1367

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:32:13 AM

See my topic, What if Gov puts the Dollar and Bitcoin on the Silver Standard, 1 to 1?, at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=333424.0.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 04:58:04 AM

See my topic, What if Gov puts the Dollar and Bitcoin on the Silver Standard, 1 to 1?, at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=333424.0.

Smiley

That' can't happen,read the replies.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: