Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:02:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin at the US Senate  (Read 67081 times)
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:53:26 PM

red lady striking back. What an epic fail Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:57:36 PM

Quote from: Mark
What altcoin should I invest in, now, please?

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
gjgjg

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:58:05 PM

did they mention 2nd life?! lol?! deary me

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:58:14 PM

Come on who the hell is this Sarah James Lady?  I mean she is talking without saying anything.  
Hilarious!!!  She is totally clueless.  This is what congress bases its action upon.  Idiots.  lol
Taking stored value cards to Switzerland.   hahahahahaha.  Who does that?

That was a very interesting speculation.

The appropriate answer was, with bitcoin, you don't have to move them physically because they aren't physical. End of story. Wow. They should read up on bitcoin before they go testify about it.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:02:18 PM

You can see the senator's mind turning. "wow, you can get 0.1% transaction fees?" (in his mind)

Yeah it was almost like he believed it but couldn't believe it can be that cheap.  Likely what he was really thinking was "WTF?  The banks & CC companies have been raping the businesses in my district for decades"
btcash

Activity: 968
Merit: 515

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:02:45 PM

Oh my gosh! Who the fuck is Mercedes Kelley Tunstall and what is she doing in this hearing? Of all speakers I have seen now she is the person who dislikes the most.

Loved how the senator was fascinated by Bitpays fees.

Gallippi is doing a pretty good job. Luckily Roger Ver wasn't interviewed by Schumer. This would have been bad for Bitcoin.
rbdrbd

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:04:32 PM

"Maybe we should just leave it alone"

Senator Hietkamp FOR THE WIN.

wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:06:21 PM

You can see the senator's mind turning. "wow, you can get 0.1% transaction fees?" (in his mind)

Yeah it was almost like he believed it but couldn't believe it can be that cheap.  Likely what he was really thinking was "WTF?  The banks & CC companies have been raping the businesses in my district for decades"

Some think  ... "wow, how much are the banking lobbyists going to donate to me to shut this thing down."

Bingo!

Bitcoin is basically transaction free, and they pay miners etc etc etc

Credit card companies make up their own proprietary networks, and approve all the transactions themselves, and 2% or so is a number they pull out of their ass because there is no alternative.

Visa and MC have to be scared to death of BTC going main stream.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 10:09:51 PM

What they aren't saying is that Bitcoin is completely different than any centrally-controlled money or anything else called "virtual currency". Fake points in games, Apple store or xbox points, gift cards, Google wallet and payment processors, and such, are centrally controlled by a company who can go out of business or print their own.

Bitcoin has no central bank or authority. It won't go out of business. It can't be counterfeited (like US dollars are counterfeited when the Fed adds another digit to their balance and sends it to banks). I can send directly to another user with no interference. It is too good to fail.

I can be defrauded by giving dollars to a guy selling speakers out of his truck, who doesn't pay sales tax. So laws?

Why is Tunstall even there, she is from a law firm, and says Bitcoin won't succeed because it can't be regulated, transactions need to be tagged and not anonymous, and other bizarre stuff. Thinly-veiled banker?

The only interesting question was from Heitkamp, who asked about taxes and such, but in an "I already have my mind made up" statement way.
Kouye

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:12:20 PM

And Jinyoung Lee Englund jumps on Mercedes... Hope she slaps her once the cam is off.  Grin

I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:50:12 PM

What they aren't saying is that Bitcoin is completely different than any centrally-controlled money or anything else called "virtual currency". Fake points in games, Apple store or xbox points, gift cards, Google wallet and payment processors, and such, are centrally controlled by a company who can go out of business or print their own.

That is a "meta concept" that is going to take a while to sink it.  It is so far out of the box.  Tunstall by the wording of your statements, "Bitcoin will need to this" or "Bitcoin going gain traction unless they change it to do that" likely doesn't fully get the idea that there is no Bitcoin, Inc.  There is no central authority which runs the whole network.  Even if they have seen the word "decentralized" or "p2p" they dont' really understand it yet.

This is really a paradigm change thing and it will take some people years if not decades to fully grasp what it means.  I think many on the panel (both senators and witnesses) think of Bitcoin as PayPal 2.0 or Linden Dollars you can use in the real world.
Kouye

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:52:55 PM

This might have already been answered in one of the threads on this topic, and I apologize if so, but can anyone tell me how they selected the panels representants?

btcash

Activity: 968
Merit: 515

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:57:08 PM

If anyone else was wondering about Tunstall:
https://twitter.com/jerrybrito/status/402918026968039425
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:58:30 PM

That would explain a lot.  This is why she was saying Bitcoin needs to do things which are impossible.  It was simply a way to advocate for Ripple the centralized alternative.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:59:10 PM

That would explain a lot.  This is why she was saying Bitcoin needs to do things which are impossible.  It was simply a way to advocate for Ripple the centralized alternative.

Did she stand in for Ripple CEO Chris Larsen?
Kouye

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 11:00:29 PM

She at least did mention Ripple with sparkles in her eyes during the hearing.

EDIT : and her Linkedin + ballardspahr profiles are returning 404, hadn't checked before, but...
Was an issue on my end, apparently.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 11:18:49 PM

She at least did mention Ripple with sparkles in her eyes during the hearing.
If so, we need to get the transcription, her credentials and association, and sticky the post "why Ripple is bad for Bitcoin and Bitcoin users".
corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 11:26:22 PM

It was kind of funny when that opening senator guy ended with pondering on how to strike the right balance with this whole thing.
I was thinking "Welcome to the club, its open source you know"  Grin
gjgjg

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 11:38:49 PM

what i dont get is the market reaction to today v yesterday. imo yesterday went a lot better than today and the markets seem to think the oposite. grr wheres my 1000$btc! Tongue

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Rez

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 01:35:33 AM

deepceleron: Your avatar is the stuff of my nightmares.

BITCOIN.SL Domain for Sale - ฿5.00 - Bitcoin Only - Escrow OK
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: