Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:26:36 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If you have, had or know how to make the rPi work with an adafruit display...  (Read 1326 times)
MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:50:17 PM
Last edit: November 11, 2013, 01:32:51 AM by MoreBloodWine

Ok, so I got my rPi setup with Mine Peon and running good on wifi, I got bored and did a impulse buy on one of those Adafruit LCD displays linked below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291002207489?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_44wt_1133

Well, I contacted the seller last night about the issue and he hasn't responded yet, no bidggie yet. Anyway, I pluged the LCD onto the rPi's GPIO pins like I was supposed to. Powered up the Pi and nothing happened, no flicker of light... no nothing. For those of you who use or have used one of these Adafruit LCD displays on your rPi. Is there any sort of special software I need to load for it to initialize ?

At the very least I would have expected it to power up, even if this damn thing needs additional software ontop of MinePeon to display data.

Ty.

To be decided...
MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:56:58 PM

Anyone ?

To be decided...
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:42:59 PM

Are you sure you wired it up right? Normally what I've done is first hooked up the power and ground wires to at least get back light going. Oh I just thought of something, did you hook up the potentiometer? And if so did you try turning it? if it's turned all the way one way I think you won't see anything.
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:44:10 PM

really it shouldn't need anything at all, no program or anything, to at least have the back light on, I would work on that first.
MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:56:15 PM

really it shouldn't need anything at all, no program or anything, to at least have the back light on, I would work on that first.
Figured it out, been talkin to Neil from minepeon... just needed to do what is said here: http://minepeon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=371

Soon as I did that the damn thing powered up and started showin data.

Also, the LCD was a prebuilt kit from eBay with the backplate, buttons etc. so it just needed pluing on to the GPIO pins and doing what Neil instructed in the post he linked me / that I linked here.

To be decided...
jcrew

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:04:10 PM

OK scratch this, I see you got it answered while I was trying to find the display I have.  Here is a link to it, if anyone cares. Much cheaper than the Adafruit and it works good.
http://dx.com/p/lcd-keypad-shield-for-arduino-duemilanove-lcd-1602-118059
MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:06:37 PM

OK scratch this, I see you got it answered while I was trying to find the display I have.  Here is a link to it, if anyone cares. Much cheaper than the Adafruit and it works good.
http://dx.com/p/lcd-keypad-shield-for-arduino-duemilanove-lcd-1602-118059
SOB, I coulda saved almost $30 *&*()& bucks ;-/

To be decided...
jcrew

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:16:29 PM

I have not tried it on the rPi with MinePeon, but I am going to try this week (the essence of my original post). Only that I know it works with an Arduino.  I imagine the pinouts are similar, but I do not know it.  Your setup may work with less effort.

(I cannot post but once every 6 minutes, still. Oh the number of posts that die because I do not have the resolve to try again or forget for 24 hours.)
amarsaudon

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 11:23:12 PM

I have not tried it on the rPi with MinePeon, but I am going to try this week (the essence of my original post). Only that I know it works with an Arduino.  I imagine the pinouts are similar, but I do not know it.  Your setup may work with less effort.

(I cannot post but once every 6 minutes, still. Oh the number of posts that die because I do not have the resolve to try again or forget for 24 hours.)

Did you ever get this going? I ordered one today in hopes of using it with my Raspberry Pi / Minepeon setup
jcrew

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:00:28 PM

Sorry.  Did you have any luck?  I honestly put minepeon on the rpi and haven't felt like stopping my mining to mess with it.  If you did get it working, let the others know.  If you had troubles, I will see if I can mess with it and make it work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: