Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:20:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help trading, suffered big loss!  (Read 2036 times)
RaggedClown

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:09:27 PM

Just buy another and wait for it to be worth $1,000,000,000 MMMMWUUHAAHAHAHA

http://i41.tinypic.com/23ija6o.jpg
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 09:10:13 PM

Just buy another and wait for it to be worth $1,000,000,000 MMMMWUUHAAHAHAHA

Maybe in a few lifetimes.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
GTR_JOEY

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:15:35 PM

Ok, I understand what you're saying, crypto currencies are still very volatile and regular financial indicators cannot be trusted to measure market trends.

Perhaps I approched this topic in an incorrect manner, what I meant to inquiry about is this. It is a fact that many people are making hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars by investing in these markets with insanely minimal amounts, and my question is, how are they making their money?

Yes, of course I do understand that many of them wait for market capitalization of the BTC or LTC markets and sell at a higher price assets that they purchased at a lower price, but surely this isn't all there is.

I've heard about people that during this last year have gone from a net amount of $100 to over $50.000 by dwelving into these markets. Obviously I'm oblivious to the specifics and to which manner they profit from it, but the fact is that they do, and I would like to know how could I take a piece of that pie.

Hi, long time reader.. thought it was time to make an account

like you said, I would assume that when people have taken hundreds of dollars and turned them into 10s of thousand that they have just bought the BTC (ill use BTC in this example) very early in the year and have decided just to sit on it. There would be a very low percentage of people that would have made that kind of money trading the ups and downs of the market. In my view theres no real way to foresee the ups and downs and where the price of btc will go so its mostly just luck. Imagine in January if someone told you that BTC would be worth $400 by the end of the year, you would have laughed in their face haha

Ive also come to realise that here is a lot of people who like to "talk it up" so to speak when it comes to how much they've made so I don't beat myself up too badly about it Smiley
JohnnyPierce (OP)

Activity: 75

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:24:11 PM

I see, so, a simple question, if we take into consideration the assumption that the price of BTC will continue to rise exponentially, what would be the best investment of my money per dollar, mining or long term trading?

I have a moderate computer, I have no way to compete with those beasts that mine @ 1000+ GH/s, but I do see many companies online renting their computer power to mine for bitcoins. If I were to invest let's say $400 today I would likely purchase a little over 1 bitcoin at current price, by investing that same amount on a mining service how many potential bitcoins could I get?
GTR_JOEY

Activity: 99

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:43:02 PM

Im in no way an expert in BTC investment as Ive been only doing it for about 4-5 months

but the way I look at it is if you wanted a "safer" and I use the term loosely.. I would buy the btc and hold it for the coming months/years..

if you want to multiply your BTC, best way I can think of atm is investing in a mining company.. The share price could easily multiply within weeks (depending on who you put your money with) or on the other hand it could be worth nothing if the company fails.

No one got rich being too safe
Whity

Activity: 9

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 09:48:50 PM

Best advice:

Do not bet on one horse !
Always keep some of your budget open to buy more if it drops, this causes your average buying price to be lower, making it easier to sell with profit if it rises again.

And never invest more than you can afford to lose. Just be prepared to lose it all in the worst case.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 12:51:53 AM

Now this is buy and hold...

Winklevoss brothers did, in fact, hold onto their bitcoinss after April's crash. A source close to the Winklevii says the brothers now hold 1 percent of all Bitcoins in circulation, worth more than $40 million.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/11/09/the-11-million-in-bitcoins-the-winklevoss-brothers-bought-is-now-worth-32-million/

These are the guys who sued Facebook to get rich, if you don't already know that. Wink

Blackswan122

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:21:04 AM

Well I wouldn't say you took a big loss! A big loss would be half or all. Reading charts takes a lot of practice and feel. I predicted 24hrs before last big drop that it would drop $100 > it did (BFL forum). If you want to learn about charts google "incrediblecharts" there you will find basic and advanced stuff. Buy and hold with Bitcoin? No way... Too risky. It just takes something scary to completely spook the market... Could take years to recover. Investing in Apple and Google and Co maybe buy and hold. Get the idea? Direction of Bitcoin? Hitting resistance at 350$... Each time it then drops. I'm looking at getting in at 275$-285$ (Also not fixed). I missed my own boat last time....Only invest what you can afford to lose. Somebody said "Only the exchanges make money" this statement is incorrect. Savvy people who can judge the market... Short and long term make money. You can make money in a down trend trading shorterm. Buying on one exchange and selling on another in times of Volatility is somewhat dangerous and greedy. We are not dealing in $$'s here but a very risky volatile "Tulip Culture". Have a play get burned and learn... It's just like investing in a very speculative stock..... Nothing more. Hope this helps.
maurya78

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:28:30 AM

Buy and hold, trading is madness, nobody can call the vol right consistently

Unlikely that we will even see sub-$200 again

Blackswan122

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:38:18 AM

Buy and hold, trading is madness, nobody can call the vol right consistently

Unlikely that we will even see sub-$200 again

Unlikely...? Quite possible I would say. Keep this in mind and you shouldn't get hurt too much. Reasons? A technical hitch. Whole system breakup... Leading to total lack of trust in Crypto currencies. A super hacker wanting fame and notoriety "I broke Bitcoin!". Governments feeling threatened that Dollar and Co are starting to take a sideline. Loss of legitimate taxes.. The list is endless! All I'm saying is have fun and "dabble" but don't get too involved. Here $40 there $10... Lose $27... Gain $106... But don't put you life savings in.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 05:42:12 AM

Never panic sell. If you can't trade, then  buy and hold.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
r00762891

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:45:53 AM

Eventually bitcoin mining will cease (run out) and there value will skyrocket as difficulty increases. With the upcoming mining rigs taughting >1.2TH/s, I don't think the price will fall too much. I would hold on to them for about 6 months, sell 50% to be safe, then hold the rest for an additional 12 months. This way you always have your finger in the pot and never cash out while at the same time retaining the ability to profit.
Rinzler12

Activity: 18

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:53:45 AM

buying it at $290-$310 still a good period
Gator-hex

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 01:22:37 PM
Last edit: November 11, 2013, 01:57:29 PM by Gator-hex

Man buys Flat with 4 year old stash of Bitcoins

http://news.sky.com/story/1161340/bitcoin-man-buys-flat-with-forgotten-fortune

Yeah, people gotta stop thinking in terms of Bitcoins but instead in terms of Satoshis.

1 Bticoin is 100,000,000 Satoshis.

In the end, every day folk will be spending Satoshis (The name sake of the Bitcoin Inventor), not Bitcoins.

Only the Elites will trade whole Bitcoins.  Wink

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 01:46:01 PM

Hello, I started trading yesterday, I purchased 1 bitcoin from localbitcoins @ $325 and sent it to btc-e, I was waiting for an increase in market capitalization, given that the bitcoin went so high this last week, and I was expecting to sell my bitcoin @ $400+.

Today the price started to fall, and some users on the btc-e chat started mentioning that the bitcoin was going to crash to about $100, in panic I sold my bitcoin @ $275.

I don't have a lot experience trading, how can I know with a minimal amount of conviction in which direction the price is going to move in short and long timescales, can anyone show me the way not to make such a stupid trade again?

hopefully 100 USD agian Cheesy

JamesFinland

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 01:50:05 PM

Why would you listen to trollbox dood?

Just hold bitcoin long term, and you will make a profit.  I bought back in late 2011 and have mined since then, never sold or panic.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 03:19:04 PM

Man buys Flat with 4 year old stash of Bitcoins

http://news.sky.com/story/1161340/bitcoin-man-buys-flat-with-forgotten-fortune

Yeah, people gotta stop thinking in terms of Bitcoins but instead in terms of Satoshis.

1 Bticoin is 100,000,000 Satoshis.

In the end, every day folk will be spending Satoshis (The name sake of the Bitcoin Inventor), not Bitcoins.

Only the Elites will trade whole Bitcoins.  Wink
You don't say?
Maybe once 1000 bilion flows into the market.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:34:50 PM

Is it expected to come below 280 anytime in upcoming quarter ?

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
elephantas1

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:19:08 PM

ok
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 08:41:54 PM

Is it expected to come below 280 anytime in upcoming quarter ?
No it is not. Doesn't seem like a bubble now.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: