Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:07:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Awesome 3d visualization of the Lightning Network  (Read 124 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 02:39:40 PM

You may know this Lightning Network node explorer already:

https://rompert.com/recksplorer/

But now we have the possibility to see in 3d:

https://lnd3.vanilla.co.za/multinodegraphs/index.html

This is really fascinating. Looks like some sort of cosmic system of stars connected to each other. Maybe the universe is really a decentralized machine version 100.0
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 02:49:09 PM

Interesting.  It's already looking somewhat less centralised than jonald_fyookball implied in his Medium post a while back.  While the hubs are quite big, there's still a fair number of them and users have the option to switch between quite a lot of different hubs.

It seems like it'll be very easy to set up an LN hub in the future and to use LN in general.  User-friendly wallets such as Eclair are beginning to pop up.

I'd still be surprised if the Lightning Network really took off in less than a year, but I do have hope that it'll implemented on major services eventually.

Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 02:52:48 PM

This is interesting.I wish there was more description written about the co-ordinates one can select to check the nodes.The graphs however are insanely slow on older browsers which is a bummer.OP did you find a relevant article which briefly describes how to study the 3d mappings ?
cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 02:55:57 PM

Interesting.  It's already looking somewhat less centralised than jonald_fyookball implied in his Medium post a while back.  While the hubs are quite big, there's still a fair number of them and users have the option to switch between quite a lot of different hubs.

It seems like it'll be very easy to set up an LN hub in the future and to use LN in general.  User-friendly wallets such as Eclair are beginning to pop up.

I'd still be surprised if the Lightning Network really took off in less than a year, but I do have hope that it'll implemented on major services eventually.

I don't expect anything anywhere near mainstream use until 2020+, by then we will have all the nice wallets we can dream off, I expect around 2021 we will have big companies like Steam, eBay, Microsoft and Amazon ready to take payments. The node count will be somewhere around 5 to 6 figures.

All things considered, LN is still the best approach to the idea of making a decentralized coin viable for the average joe at a mainstream level, without centralizing at layer 0 (see Bcash, others)
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 02:57:35 PM

As with everything, the more participants a market or ecosystem counts, the less centralized it will become. If at some point even the average person is able to set up nodes, connects with its favorite merchant or whatever entity, know that we'll be very close to LN deployment on a very large scale. Let all the naysayers talk as much as they want, at some point they will have to acknowledge the value and purpose of LN.

If they then still act like it isn't worth anything, then they are nothing more than a bunch of shitty trolls. If you don't like it, don't use it. It's not that anyone here will be forced to use LN. This market is all about the choices that you have, and you have the full right to say no to LN. I personally am satisfied with Bitcoin already, and will likely not use it, but I know how much potential it has in the very long term.
cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 03:11:14 PM

This is interesting.I wish there was more description written about the co-ordinates one can select to check the nodes.The graphs however are insanely slow on older browsers which is a bummer.OP did you find a relevant article which briefly describes how to study the 3d mappings ?

Yes, this is a problem. Someone should code something in C++, something like a videogame 3d engine accelerated by the GPU, this way you could be able to deal with massive amounts of blocks in 3d. Most of these javascript stuff is a mess for this. Maybe just use the Unity engine which works well in browsers. Unity has a built in plugin to import your work in a website easily.

I don't know about to study the 3d mappings. Right now it doesn't have much data, it's just a fancy way to view the network afaik. Raw data is better for research.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: