Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:39:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [wts] Mystery Items  (Read 2175 times)
robertbogdon (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 03:16:26 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2011, 11:12:29 PM by robertbogdon

This was inspired by the original Mystery Envelope thread.  http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=32935.0  Please take a minute to look over that offer and consider it first.  I don't want to take away from someone else's idea, but I do want to offer my own version.  International shipping is available, but will require some additional research to determine cost.

My wife was intrigued by the mystery envelope offer and had me order one.  We both love the idea of a random thing, especially at the relatively low cost involved.  We also go to a lot of thrift stores and swap meets looking for random interesting things.  We pass up a lot of stuff because we have limited space and would quickly fill that space without limiting ourselves to certain types of items.  With that in mind, I'd like to offer a few different Mystery Items.  These are general guidelines, if you want something not on the list, let me know and we'll work something out.

1. Mystery Envelope:  Similar to the original Mystery Envelope, small item, regular postage within the US, fits in a standard envelope.  .1 BTC, this is more than the original thread, but these will be used items purchased specifically for the envelope or something handmade specifically for the envelope.  Update: International shipping is more than the price calculator lead me to believe.  Updated prices are shown below.
  • Australia: +.2BTC shipping
  • Belgium: +.2BTC shipping

1a. Mystery Postcards:  You want a postcard from somewhere you visited but forgot to get one?  How about a random country other than your own?  Maybe you want an old postcard from your home state/country?  Maybe you want something completely random.  The Mystery Envelope prices will get you 2-3 postcards.

2. Mystery Flat Rate Boxes:  USPS Flat Rate boxes, with one or more items, shipped within the US.  Box sizes are available at http://postcalc.usps.gov/, please specify which size box.  Other packaging may be used depending on the actual size of the item to get the best price on shipping.
  • Large Flat Rate: 2.25 BTC
  • Medium Flat Rate: 1.5 BTC
  • Small Flat Rate: .75 BTC

3. Mystery Comic Book:  I've seen boxes and boxes of comic books.  Even though they're not my thing, there's got to be someone out there who's interested in them.  .3 BTC for the first one, .1 BTC for each additional.
4. Mystery Book:  Generic Mystery book will usually be something bizarrely specific.  In the past I've picked up reference manuals for TV/Radio stations, concrete construction regulations, etc.  If you would prefer a mystery book from a specific author or genre, please let me know.  .5 BTC each.

As always, if there's a specific item, or category of item that you're looking for, let me know and we can work something out.  The items above are mostly just a way to give you some ideas.  We go looking for older Pyrex, older cameras and books.  So if there's someone out there who collects FireKing or Glassbake, we're already putting a bunch of it back on the shelves.  There's a box of old reel to reel audio tapes at one of the thrift stores we visit regularly, and I know there's got to be someone out there who collects that sort of thing.  If you don't like the prices above, make me an offer, all it's going to do is change the upper limit on what I'll pay for your mystery item.

1D6XGcK8CzPgLw3HwJS87WY9Sc7hpKzRY4
http://www.bitcoinmerchandise.com - buy stuff with bitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yuusha

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 08:20:59 PM

Surprised this isn't getting more attention. Maybe remove the "potential items", so it becomes more mysterious.
kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 08:46:11 PM

I'm the guy who is/was selling mystery envelopes, and for the record:

I whole-heartedly endorse this!

I'm just selling for the weekend on a whim with junk found around the house.  Unconfirmed rumors indicate alcohol may have been involved in the original decision to do this.

But I think full-time service with some thought and effort put into bitcoin grab-bags is a great idea.  I wish you the best of luck on this venture.

Instead of sending me a 0.01 kickback for each deal, why don't you just send me one of your mystery envelopes after you sell ten items?  One time only.  There's no need to pay continuous royalties.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 10:37:31 PM

I'm all for this makes me want to set something like a wootbit up

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
robertbogdon (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 12:36:27 AM

I'm the guy who is/was selling mystery envelopes, and for the record:

I whole-heartedly endorse this!

I'm just selling for the weekend on a whim with junk found around the house.  Unconfirmed rumors indicate alcohol may have been involved in the original decision to do this.

But I think full-time service with some thought and effort put into bitcoin grab-bags is a great idea.  I wish you the best of luck on this venture.

Instead of sending me a 0.01 kickback for each deal, why don't you just send me one of your mystery envelopes after you sell ten items?  One time only.  There's no need to pay continuous royalties.

Will do.

Surprised this isn't getting more attention. Maybe remove the "potential items", so it becomes more mysterious.

Done.

Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:44:43 AM

I'm looking for for old photography stuff. I do film, so if I could get a mystery item in this category, you have my Bitcoins.
robertbogdon (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 04:01:12 AM

That can definitely be arranged.  Are you looking for an envelope, one of the flat rate boxes, or something else?

Cory

Activity: 288

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 04:14:53 AM

Just ordered. I'll report back as soon as it shows up.

Thanks! Cheesy
Distribution

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 04:16:06 AM

That can definitely be arranged.  Are you looking for an envelope, one of the flat rate boxes, or something else?

Well, anything I would want would be box material. I'll go with a large flat rate box. Find me something good.
robertbogdon (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 04:03:56 PM

So far I've got three envelopes and one large flat rate box, with another possible envelope.  We'll be heading out in an hour or two to find items for these, so if you'd like to have something shipped tomorrow, PM me with what you're looking for (envelope, size of flat rate box, or just a BTC amount you'd like to have converted into a mystery item) and if you have any specific requests or themes for your item, be sure to include those.

robertbogdon (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2011, 05:14:56 PM

Three envelopes and one flat rate box were mailed out this morning.  Let me know when you get your items.

Distribution

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 07:45:36 PM

Got mine today. Awesome stuff. Thanks.
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 10:58:06 AM

Got mine today. Awesome stuff. Thanks.

What was it? Or not saying? <_<

kgo

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 04:53:42 PM

I just got my mystery envelope.  I particularly liked that one thing!  It was awesome!
shakaru

Activity: 406

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 07:08:24 PM

Anybody want to PM me with what they got in their mystery box?
Ditto Smiley

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
robertbogdon (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 04:29:56 PM

Just got back from DefCon last night.  I've got a few minor odds and ends from the trip, some of it specifically DefCon related, some more generically Vegas.  Glad to hear everyone got their stuff so far, although I haven't heard from Cory yet.  I'm ready to send out more stuff if anyone wants an envelope/box.

robertbogdon (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 06:17:50 PM

If anyone is interested in what was in the envelopes or box, PM me or post here and I'll let you know as best I can remember. 

kgo

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 06:21:44 PM

If anyone is interested in what was in the envelopes or box, PM me or post here and I'll let you know as best I can remember. 

I was just trying to keep the mystery alive...

I got two postcards, a postcard sized piece of black cardboard with a peacock design cut out of the card, and a limited edition Asian Pendant from The San Diego Zoo.
robertbogdon (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 06:33:13 PM

All of the envelopes will contain different items, but I think there's some hesitation from a lot of people if they don't have any reference point.  Most envelopes will likely have a postcard.  The black paper was something leftover from a project my wife was working on (http://arthropodsandpaper.blogspot.com/).  Some of the other envelopes have included a NYC subway pass, a booklet of Boeing products and small bugs similar to the dung beetles on that site, but more intricate.  I'm pretty sure every envelope will contain it's own unique set of items, so while this list gives you an idea, don't expect to receive any of the same items.

For the box, it was asked that it contain film photography themed items.  It shipped out with a polaroid camera, a 60s era Vivitar 110 camera with original carrying case and manual, and a small device for viewing film negatives.  All of the items were picked up specifically for this box from thrift stores and swap meets.  We were fairly certain the film negative viewer would work properly, based on being able to open it up and look inside.  The Vivitar camera looked like it had been very well taken care of and was still in the original hardbacked carrying case and had the original manual, so we figured there was a good chance it would work properly.  The Polaroid camera was more of a gamble, and might end up just sitting on a shelf.

I like to think of the boxes as a good way to get yourself a gift and still be surprised.

robertbogdon (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 02:10:27 PM

Bumping this thread, still honoring the original prices in BTC as long as it doesn't drop down below 10.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: