Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:42:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD Vega rig uses 50% more power than it should  (Read 244 times)
dragonmike (OP)

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 08:00:18 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2018, 08:23:52 PM by dragonmike

My Vega rig takes more power than it should.
Basically, even when I set power limit to zero and all voltages and clocks manually either in overdriventool or wattman, the wattage at the wall is almost 50% higher than it should be for the given values.

It's like the power limit would max itself out and ignore the zero value I set.

Updating driver didn't help. The only way seems to be to re-apply soft pp tables in registry (which sucks, don't wanna do that every time I switch algo to mine).

Any ideas?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 08:51:50 PM

if p0-p5 states have higher core voltage than p7 it wont allow you to undervolt properly...thats why pp tables change the voltages of these states...on the other hand with pp tables you can mine any algo no need to change anything
my vegas running with 0.865vddc stable on cryptonight/cn-forks

Bazzaar

Activity: 75
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 11:23:51 PM

Lol, your lack of comprehension of the settings is epic.
Power limit set to "zero" or 0 means DONT CHANGE ANYTHING AT ALL, leave it as it is out of the box.

Now, -25% (minus 25%) reduces power used by 25% on normal
so if you want to cut power by 50%, set -50%
dragonmike (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 11:21:17 AM

if p0-p5 states have higher core voltage than p7 it wont allow you to undervolt properly...thats why pp tables change the voltages of these states...on the other hand with pp tables you can mine any algo no need to change anything
Ok, so that is even so with the newest Adrenalin drivers? Basically if I want to change algo (eg switch from Ethash to Cryptonight) I'll need to use a different Soft pp table for the undervolting to work properly?

Power limit set to "zero" or 0 means DONT CHANGE ANYTHING AT ALL, leave it as it is out of the box.

Read what I wrote again.
Dimwit.
Bazzaar

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 11:56:03 AM

Dimwit.

Said the guy that cant repeat what hundreds of other Vega owners are doing day in and day out.

No of course you dont need to reapply PP tables every time you change algos, thats ridiculous.

If you change from CryptonightV7 to Neoscrypt, particularly with Claymore's miner for AMD GPU, you will need to set things differently in OverdriveNtool. Thats cos Cryptonight runs the memory hard and Neoscrypt runs the core hard and the core uses the majority of the power so every percent of overclock there raises to total power more.
My 4xVega rig runs~800W with Cryptonight and ~1000W with Neoscrypt

So what leads you to believe your rig is using more power from the wall than expected? I dont recall seeing any "estimated power from the wall" numbers in any of the tweaking utils. Are you running anything like GPU-z or HWinfo to see if the voltage settings are working?

And what exactly do you mean by power set to zero? Zero power would be like switched off, set "0" in some tweaking util?

So I re-read and it didnt help, I'M struggling to understand what you're talking about.
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2018, 01:23:05 PM

My Vega rig takes more power than it should.
Basically, even when I set power limit to zero and all voltages and clocks manually either in overdriventool or wattman, the wattage at the wall is almost 50% higher than it should be for the given values.

It's like the power limit would max itself out and ignore the zero value I set.

Updating driver didn't help. The only way seems to be to re-apply soft pp tables in registry (which sucks, don't wanna do that every time I switch algo to mine).

Any ideas?
If you really want some help form members , you should provide your system spec , what is the number for " My Vega rig takes more power than it should " , What are you using to measuring your power usage at the wall ? How many cards you have in your rig ...

"It's like the power limit would max itself out and ignore the zero value I set"
zero value is the default setting , so you dont changed anything , why you expecting lower power usage ?
zero value + overclocking mem or gpu or both, result more power draw .

"the wattage at the wall is almost 50% higher than it should be for the given values"
what is your numbers ? where did you get your "should be values" ?

"The only way seems to be to re-apply soft pp tables in registry (which sucks, don't wanna do that every time I switch algo to mine)"
Create a reset.bat file for overdriven tool ,this should reset all your settings to deafult, make sure you are not fcking up your windows registry with using to many tune software. If you are using overdriven tool, then use that and nothing else...
Code:
OverdriveNTool.exe -r0 -r1 -r2 -r3 
(use -r.. for each of your card)
reset your gpu0 , gpu1, gpu2, gpu3

If you are used more than one tune software , i would suggest uninstall your driver with DDU in safe mode ! safe mode only!!! ,in safe mode DDU going to remove all your driver settings from registry, and of course your driver Smiley
Do a fresh driver install , and use only one tune software.
With overdriventool , you can create  and save different profile for different algo's for each of your cards if you want to Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 01:42:10 PM

Ok, so that is even so with the newest Adrenalin drivers? Basically if I want to change algo (eg switch from Ethash to Cryptonight) I'll need to use a different Soft pp table for the undervolting to work properly?

Read what I wrote again.
Dimwit.

just make your own powerplay table with 800 or 850mv on all states and adjust with p7 state while mining + checnking mvddc on gpuz, for algos that needs more power u just set higher p7 state voltage

this is mine for example... 1448mhz/880mv gives me ~1401mhz@875mv

dragonmike (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 01:56:49 PM

Right, I'll clarify.
Basically, I'm now running an un-altered reg table. I set Wattman voltages and freqs to manual. I run Claymore's ETH miner, set clocks and core voltage in the miner, everything is hunky dory, I mine at 250MH/s @ 1175W at the wall (6x Vega64).

If I attempt to use Overdriventool and specify different values, any subsequent attempt to mine (with or without Claymore setting clocks and voltages) results in 50% higher power draw (despite the power target setting still being set to zero) - so close to 1800W at the wall for no apparent reason.

So I'm trying to figure out what breaks it.
Bazzaar

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 02:59:47 PM

What you are setting in Odt is obviously resulting in +50% power draw. I wonder what those settings actually are? If only we could know.

I wonder what drivers you are running?
I wonder if you use DDU to change from one driver to another?
I wonder what those manual settings in wattman actually are?
I wonder why you then set things again in the miner?
I wonder why you then use ANOTHER utility to set things again?!?
I wonder if you even realise these things would be useful to someone trying to help you out?

CryptoPlay

Activity: 202
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 03:14:13 PM

http://vega.miningguides.com/p/tuning.html

What a hell are u talking about??? Changing Powertables to change mining algo?Huh Bro, you need to read a lot....
You do this one time and thats all.
The problem is the driver wont get your mod everytime you restart the PC so you need to disable and reenable the card in device manager....
go read

https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-2065.png
dragonmike (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 05:14:07 PM

http://vega.miningguides.com/p/tuning.html

What a hell are u talking about??? Changing Powertables to change mining algo?Huh Bro, you need to read a lot....
You do this one time and thats all.
The problem is the driver wont get your mod everytime you restart the PC so you need to disable and reenable the card in device manager....
go read
This only applies for Cryptonight on the blockchain driver. If you wanna help, please do so, otherwise, go read.
dragonmike (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 05:55:31 PM

I'm pretty sure the driver is toast. If I try to apply any values in Overdriventool they just revert to what they were before, i.e. the new voltage values are not being applied properly. That happens regardless of whether Wattman is running in the background or if I kill it completely in the tast manager.

Time to DDU I think.
BroganBloodstone

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 05:58:41 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2018, 07:18:20 PM by BroganBloodstone

Interesting. Did not know that. Could you post your settings here please? Thank you.

Edit, tried this, made no difference Sad

Question. Is it enough to edit the powerplay table. Apply it and restart computer? Or must you do DDU every time you change a powerplay table for it to work properly? It seems to work fine just applying it and restarting as the figures all change in OverclockNTool. The only thing that does not improve is power usage from the wall.

How much power would you say a well optimized 6x Vega 56 system take from the wall?
CryptoPlay

Activity: 202
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 12:43:47 AM
Last edit: April 13, 2018, 02:08:15 AM by CryptoPlay

I'm pretty sure the driver is toast. If I try to apply any values in Overdriventool they just revert to what they were before, i.e. the new voltage values are not being applied properly. That happens regardless of whether Wattman is running in the background or if I kill it completely in the tast manager.

Time to DDU I think.

Read the guide! There is no shortcut.
You can only change some values. Thats why we do use powertables, to change the ones we cant change using OverdriveNTool. Dont use wattman and other softwares.
Since you have installed, you are  not following the guide, just like myself.
Your first goal is get 2000h/s from each card.
You can do it setting Core P7 to 1408(safe 920mv) and MEM P3 to 1100(910-950mv to start). Check the guide to know what you can change using OverdriveNTool...

The driver is buggy! It will hang a lot. And that makes your card loose some configs. Thats why Vega users do disable and re enable the cards in device manager. You can do it pretty fast IF you read the guide.
This is what causing you to re start everything when you should be only disabling and re enabling the cards in device manager...to get your config back.

read the guide, dont follow everything but read it!
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RkPWpMdz99E/WjX0GEZSbfI/AAAAAAAAAlU/zfz0L1mpkeQOotBnKd5nWhBIegEkVFWcACLcBGAs/s640/OverdriveNTool%2BControl.png

This one is also usefull
https://www.reddit.com/r/MoneroMining/comments/74hjqn/monero_and_vega_the_definitive_guide/

https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-2065.png
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 01:49:18 AM

This thread title should be "I'm 50% less intelligent than i should be" hehe

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
dragonmike (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 04:18:58 PM

This thread title should be "I'm 50% less intelligent than i should be" hehe
Or rather: people who comment in here read less than 50% of the issue (or are 50% less intelligent than they think they are). Except for Treanski who actually got what I said.

To spell it out to you (and people like CryptoPlay or Bazzaar) again, I am not using the blockchain driver. I'm using the latest Adrenalin 18.3.4.

I'm now mining XMR perfectly well after reinstalling the driver and slightly tweaking my soft pp table, as Treanski suggested.

To the other trolls: get a life and learn to read. It'll help you in the future.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: