Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 08:34:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Crashes Nearly 25% - Joe Weisenthal at Business Insider  (Read 3760 times)
kkaspar

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

banned but not broken

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:25:44 PM

Discriminate much?

I am free-minded towards anyone, by discarding their background while valuating their character as a whole. But still, there are certain stereotypes for certain backgrounds and these types would not be considered stereotypes if they weren't often seen by others. Everyone can break free from their background and what is expected from them, not everyone choose to break free though.
It is just sad that we can joke freely about some stereotypes, but with others, people freeze and find you inappropriate Sad
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:30:28 PM

Discriminate much?

I am free-minded towards anyone, by discarding their background while valuating their character as a whole. But still, there are certain stereotypes for certain backgrounds and these types would not be considered stereotypes if they weren't often seen by others. Everyone can break free from their background and what is expected from them, not everyone choose to break free though.
It is just sad that we can joke freely about some stereotypes, but with others, people freeze and find you inappropriate Sad

Why break free if dicks like are going to prejudge you anyway?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
BlueTemplar

Activity: 164

Gone for a minute now back again

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:38:25 PM

Because you want to live your own life?

Also, "One can laugh about anything, but not with everyone".
kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:39:49 PM

Why break free if dicks like are going to prejudge you anyway?

That is a question for everyone to decide for themselves. Everyone are free to make their own choices, even if they decide to be the stereotypes of their background Smiley
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:42:27 PM

First they are unaware of you
Then they laugh at you
Then they troll you
Then you get arrested and charged with criminal conspiracy -FBI
Best they remain unaware of you.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
AndrewWilliams (OP)

Activity: 182

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:08:19 PM

Keep your sterotypes to yourself. If you want to start bashing races you can go to Storm Front for that.
kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:30:50 PM

Keep your sterotypes to yourself. If you want to start bashing races you can go to Storm Front for that.

It is hard to understand how can you see racial bashing in my text. I was implying at cultural, social and religious backgrounds. Races are an biological or an anthropological mater and were not discussed about.
But you are right, I should correct myself and accept that a lot of people are confident that some subjects are more sacred then others, and should receive special treatment. I apologize that I spoke my mind and in the future, I'll try to filter my thoughts according to your personal wishes. I am sorry.
AndrewWilliams (OP)

Activity: 182

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:35:11 PM

It is hard to understand how can you see racial bashing in my text. I was implying at cultural, social and religious backgrounds. Races are an biological or an anthropological mater and were not discussed about.
But you are right, I should correct myself and accept that a lot of people are confident that some subjects are more sacred then others, and should receive special treatment. I apologize that I spoke my mind and in the future, I'll try to filter my thoughts according to your personal wishes. I am sorry.

You might find people sympathetic to your viewpoint on Stormfront.

EDIT: This guy is a troll. Ignored.
kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:38:18 PM

You might find people sympathetic to your viewpoint on Stormfront.

Why is that?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:42:40 PM

I hope I won't sound inappropriate, but I would be surprised if a guy, whose last name is "Weisenthal", would praise bitcoin. What would be next? A Rothchild praising interest free banking? Smiley
What about a Goldstein?

http://www.cryptocurrencycon.com/speakers/michael-goldstein/
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:05:58 AM

Stereotypes exist for a reason. For example, speaking as a danish beer swilling grogtard, the stereotype that danes are beer swilling grogtards is absolutely true! Some people just have difficulty admitting their own character.

Take the movie 300. Opening scene, dude tossing infants over a cliff to splatter on the jagged rocks below. They actually did that, yet their contemporary descendants were international-incident-pissed. Then compare it to the reaction when the 13th warrior displayed vikings as nasty, unwashed, beer swilling grogtards who burned slaves alive at funerals. Nobody cared because it was true and we are fine with that.

-isms are just a matter of character, or sometimes lack thereof.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:30:17 AM

Seems like a nice young man who doesn't fit just as well in the same joke as a sterotype.
I think that we should end this subject, because many people will get emotional and then I will be probably blamed for them being emotional. It's the weird world we're living in and I have learned that it is better to deal with it in peace.
squidface

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:34:10 AM

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Yeah. Making the world simple for people that can't handle complexity.

Grin Grin Grin
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:47:54 AM

Rather, because generalizations are generally true.

Seemingly complex systems can often be simplified to a few key things. Take bitcoin. Limited resource with rising demand equals rising price, therefore buy and hold. Extremely simple once you identify the key aspects to focus on. It's the same with any group of people, they all have common traits that, as a group, define them. Exceptions are just that and anecdotes are useless in statistics. Morgan Freeman is not representative of black people, much as I might wish he were.

theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:01:19 AM

I hope I won't sound inappropriate, but I would be surprised if a guy, whose last name is "Weisenthal", would praise bitcoin. What would be next? A Rothchild praising interest free banking? Smiley

Discriminate much?

To be fair, Weisenthal did fit the profile 100%.

Listen, if you evoke a stereotype to discriminate against someone before they've done anything, then thats just being close-minded & stupid.

But after somebody has already acted like an idiot, feel free to evoke as many stereotypes as you like to explain that idiocy for all I care.

Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 01:13:23 AM
Last edit: November 12, 2013, 01:25:50 AM by Qoheleth

Listen, if you evoke a stereotype to discriminate against someone before they've done anything, then thats just being close-minded & stupid.

But after somebody has already acted like an idiot, feel free to evoke as many stereotypes as you like to explain that idiocy for all I care.
Eh, see, the problem with that is that even in such a case, when Alice invokes a stereotype when talking about Betty, someone overhearing the comment would naturally conclude that Alice believes in the stereotype. If Cathy - an actual bigot - overhears, it'll reinforce her impression that her opinions are normal and socially acceptable. If Dana - who is in the group covered by the stereotype - overhears, it'll reinforce the feeling of isolation and dehumanization which entrenched stereotypes create.

It's the same with any group of people, they all have common traits that, as a group, define them. Exceptions are just that and anecdotes are useless in statistics. Morgan Freeman is not representative of black people, much as I might wish he were.
The problem with applying these sorts of heuristics to humans is that they get in under the skin, like an ingrown thorn, at which point they stop being rational and become very difficult to turn off when you encounter an "exception" in real life. Sure, you can say (e.g.) that women aren't as good in STEM, but if you internalize that heuristic, you'll rate women lower than men with identical CVs, even though you have enough data to make the heuristic unnecessary and obviously bogus. (This happens, by the way, and it's been shown to happen even when the people covered by the stereotype are doing the grading, meaning that the effect is subconscious and culturally pervasive.) And even if it wasn't for that, and even if the heuristic is accurate, the effect of applying a heuristic which typecasts with a broad brush is that society actively impedes the "exceptions", refusing to take their exceptional natures seriously and pushing them towards roles for which they're ill-suited. That might be acceptable error when you're dealing with heuristics on things, but when you do it to people, it's a moral issue that can't be handwaved by accuracy on the average.

Getting off this derail and back to the article, IMO it's just the usual growing pains and schadenfreude. Not even that notable, given the good coverage Bitcoin has been receiving in other channels lately.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:33:38 AM

I'm more leaning towards "biological imperative". As much as some people might preach equality and even believe in it, we don't have it and never will or can for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that we are not equal. Life wants to propagate, and for humans that requires someone to take care of the kids and keeping the home livable. And millions of years of evolution is telling us that women are better at that than men, while men are better at bringing home the meat.

If anything, it's modern society that is absurd, not the people acting on ancient instincts. On a side note because someone is sure to bring it up, "fair" doesn't exist in nature.

amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 02:50:32 AM

I'm White.  Many believe that most people that molest children are White.  Haha that's the worst stereotype there is, just about.  Asians are smart, Blacks got big dicks and Jews are good with money, boo fucking hoo.

Everyone is just too sensitive.  Stereotyping, much like profiling, is fine as long as it's not the sole criteria used to make conclusions.

Put me in a room with a diddled kid and 10 other non-White guys, I'm likely the first suspected.  As long as I'm not judged and sentenced with nothing else to go on, I'm OK with that, Whites may actually do kids more often than other races in which case I'm the smart first bet in this hypothetical.

Personally I think people use stereotyping to bolster or rationalize their discriminatory thoughts.  Strip away stereotyping and I doubt discrimination goes away too.  It's not a stereotype's fault many are too stupid to realize not all in a group will fit their stereotype.

I probably fit a lot of the stereotypes attributed to bitcoin users, but not all of them.  I still wouldn't be outraged that someone thought it likely I worked as an IT professional considering my interest in bitcoin.
BitCloud

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 02:53:47 AM

All this silly drama will get even more people interested in btc.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:27:30 AM

... On squawkbox they laugh about Bitcoin. ...

When Maria Bartiromo starts saying that bitcoin is a new paradigm and good investment, THAT is when you know we've reached maximum market penetration and no further large price-gains are likely.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: