Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:15:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FTP server on user PCs for Bitcoins  (Read 1421 times)
giantdragon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 08:49:10 PM

I have an idea to create new software product: FTP service on user's PC for Bitcoins.

Many of us have ample hard drives and broadband Internet connection with unlimited bandwidth. I propose to create web-fronted for FTP-server (e.g. FileZilla Server) that allows other users to buy space on your HDD and store files using convenient FTP protocol. If you keep computer on for 24h and have normal connection speed I think many people would like to pay you small amount in bitcoins instead of buying expensive and non-anonymous service like DropBox. For example I am ready to sell 300 Gb right now and would buy extra HDD if there will be enough demand.

Is idea worth?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KnuttyD

Activity: 109
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 10:54:40 PM

So something like a distributed CDN?

If I helped you in some way, and you feel obligated to do so, you can tip me some coin!
1KVadqbELY3KuJhkm9rDtcwxZknhRsfPHY
giantdragon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 11:07:48 PM

So something like a distributed CDN?
Cloud storage, where each PC can provide service like DropBox and receive payments in Bitcoins.
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 11:30:49 PM

I have an idea to create new software product: FTP service on user's PC for Bitcoins.

Many of us have ample hard drives and broadband Internet connection with unlimited bandwidth. I propose to create web-fronted for FTP-server (e.g. FileZilla Server) that allows other users to buy space on your HDD and store files using convenient FTP protocol. If you keep computer on for 24h and have normal connection speed I think many people would like to pay you small amount in bitcoins instead of buying expensive and non-anonymous service like DropBox. For example I am ready to sell 300 Gb right now and would buy extra HDD if there will be enough demand.

Is idea worth?

See Wuala - http://www.wuala.com/

You can trade storage (or buy, using bitcoins Wink - and it's client side encrypted.

giantdragon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 12:51:17 AM

You can trade storage (or buy, using bitcoins Wink - and it's client side encrypted.
I can't found how to SELL your free space for money in Wuala, it seems impossible.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 01:03:43 AM

I can't found how to SELL your free space for money in Wuala, it seems impossible.

I believe the option pops up on the client side, reads your uptime and says if you qualify or not to be a host.

Edit:
nvm.

I see trading only.
http://www.wuala.com/en/storage/trade
giantdragon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 12:25:32 PM

I have googled and didn't found anything about selling. It seems impossible.

In some way FTP is more convenient and universal then Wuala software (althought doesn't provide encryption, but personal data I prefer to encrypt with 7-Zip before uploading).
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 05:04:05 PM

I have googled and didn't found anything about selling. It seems impossible.

In some way FTP is more convenient and universal then Wuala software (althought doesn't provide encryption, but personal data I prefer to encrypt with 7-Zip before uploading).

Best way would probably use a truecrypt container if you want to be much more secure.
hashcoin

Activity: 372
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 03:32:46 AM

this is something  I've thought about for awhile (though with something like Chord or Kademlia instead of FTP).

My interest was a bit different though in that I wanted to construct a new coin for the network rather than use bitcoins.  The idea would be to create a currency backed by space in a worldwide, highly available, fault-tolerant data-store.

Also, you need to price bandwidth/transfer, not just storage.

The difficulty is it seems there are two options:
1) A system consisting entirely of local contracts between parties
This is easy to setup, and somewhat easier to "secure" via trusting the person you're doing business with.  But this means you'll have an unstructured network, meaning for search you're stuck with crappy broadcast like in first-generation p2p networks.  I don't like this option.

2) A global system where all storage is pooled, and nodes are assigned data e.g. by hash.
Here a node is aware they are participating in a very large network as opposed to just some local thing with their pre-arranged neighbors.  This means search can be done efficiently as in Chord/Kademlia, but now you need to deal with trust/security.  You need some kind of system for deciding whether people who are claiming to store files are actually storing them, and then rewarding them accordingly.  This is easy if there were some central authority, but the point is to do it without one.  You need some way to prevent people from flooding the system and claiming to store stuff.  The only way I can think of to do this is with some kind of long term pseudonymous reputation system, but I feel there should be something better.

Once you have some notion of identities/group members, validity can be done by randomly matching up members to test one another.  The matching would be done by a byzantine-tolerant coin tossing protocol.

Also it's unclear what kind of legal liability one might have if someone stores illegal stuff on your machine.

But if you could do this right it would be big.  IMO Bittorrent really took off because they got the economics half-right: data trading, not sharing.  The next step to getting it fully right is stored value: seeding torrent A should let me leech for torrent B.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: