Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:14:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [eMunie] eMunie Tech & General Q&A Thread - Get Involved  (Read 15598 times)
Fuserleer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 10:44:17 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2013, 11:24:27 AM by Fuserleer

Hi everyone

I've been quiet for some time again, eMunie takes up every waking hour as of late, but I'm very happy to report that now all the major components of the client are complete and "set in stone", I'll be releasing various documentations over the next week that will describe in a lot more detail how this elusive beast works on the inside.

There have been many many questions regarding eMunie on here going back as far as June when I first announced the project, some of which I answered at the time, lots of those explanations have since become obsolete with the various iterations of the client and its changing direction since then.

A primer for those that do not know what eMunie is:

eMunie is a next generation crypto-currency, similar in many ways to popular first generation crypto-currencies such as BitCoin (BTC), LiteCoin (LTC) and others. eMunie adopts the root principles and objectives of these first generation crypto-currencies and expands upon them both in terms of security and useability scope.

Many first generation crypto-currencies are simply copies of BitCoin with minor changes. Typically this means that the open source BitCoin program code as been used as a starting point, with modifications made to it depending on what that particular crypto-currency's goals require.

This is not in any way a bad thing, but it does mean that currencies which adopt this approach, are limited by the same factors as BitCoin, and also inherit some or all of its short-comings.

eMunie does not use any of the BitCoin program code, and functions in a completely different manner, sharing only the primary ideologies and end goals.

eMunie provides a more secure & stable currency by a number of means. All transaction information that is able to identify you is encrypted and secure, your privacy is guaranteed. The only parties able to see any identifying information is the receiver and the sender. All other parties in the system are unable to view this information and will never know that a transaction between A -> B happened.

To ensure that all transactions are honest and that the system balances, a different scheme of verification is used to current implementations to verify that the spender of any currency units is authorized to do so, while at the same time keeping any identifying information regarding the spender (and receiver) a secret.

Even dis-regarding the many other innovative features, this alone allows eMunie to stand above the current state of the art and provide a solution that no other crypto-currency has been able to achieve:

A true anonymous, secure, decentralized, distributed digital currency.

eMunie is also packed with innovative, ground breaking features such as:

• Speed - Transactions are processed almost instantly (sub-20 seconds) and are safe to trust.
  • Size - Small data set, clients download only what they need, and most do not need the whole transaction tree.
  • Interest - eMunie uses a TRUE economic supply & demand based currency system where new supply is distributed to current stake holders
  • P2P exchange - The first true P2P exchange allowing not only the exchange of eMu, but ANY currency or commodity registered within the system
  • ENS - A naming system for wallet addresses which allows more human readable terms to be assigned to an address.
  • Postman - Secure e-mail system including attachments.
  • ERC - Secure chat rooms/channels similar to IRC days of old (private rooms supported).
  • EIM - Secure instant messaging between 2 or more parties.
  • Ratings - Self explanatory, you can rate the sender of transactions (these ratings are used for various things in the community)
  • Profiles - Public & private profiles where you may enter some details about yourself (or your business)
  • much much more....

All of the above features will be explained in more detail within the various documentation that I will be making available over the course of the next week or so.

So, without further ado, please feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding eMunie and I will be happy to answer them Smiley

Note:  For reasons unknown to me, trolls seem to like eMunie (perhaps it's the mention of goats in previous threads?  Cheesy) and I will not tolerate any trollish behavior in this thread and will not respond to any bait.  The purpose of this Q&A thread is to answer legitimate questions regarding eMunie and anything else related, not for the stroking of a troll-ish ego.

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 11:10:35 AM

Quite some of these features have been implemented in other coins in similiar ways?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Fuserleer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 11:22:16 AM

Some of them have been implemented in other places, I'm not 100% sure if the implementations are the same or not as I simply don't have the time to research EVERY new release and it's technical information in great detail.

That said, I'm fairly confident that eMunie is the first to have them all, which makes it not only a secure and distributed payments system, but also a secure and distributed general communications tool as well.

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:24:18 AM

How do you ensure global transaction ordering and double spend prevention? Centralization (PayPal style), PoW, PoS, consensus (Ripple style) or something different?

Why is chat, mail and IMing part of your financial trading software, does it not increase attack surface? How does the benefit outweigh this cost?

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 11:46:08 AM

So is a github or similiar repo online yet where we can download the code build the thing and try it?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
hypersire

Activity: 596
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 12:15:12 PM

You had me at "privacy guaranteed".  Grin

What sort of exchange mechanism is planned to convert eMunie to fiat? Will the platform also accept PPC?

Eagerly anticipating the eMunie release...
r3animation

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 12:36:51 PM

How much HDD space would you normally need if you run -po (post office)?

Could you fit (ram-wise) and run emunie on a RPi or BBB?

edit, I've been running the client for a few days now on an i3 and no issues so far. (hatcher and po)
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 12:40:41 PM

What sort of exchange mechanism is planned to convert eMunie to fiat? Will the platform also accept PPC?

Eagerly anticipating the eMunie release...

As he said, it's possible to represent any asset, likely similar to Ripple. This means that you need gateways that hold the assets and issue balances on eMunie that can be traded on the platform and redeemed later from the gateway. It doesn't matter if these are carrots, PPC, USD or gold bars.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 03:13:09 PM

Some of them have been implemented in other places, I'm not 100% sure if the implementations are the same or not as I simply don't have the time to research EVERY new release and it's technical information in great detail.

That said, I'm fairly confident that eMunie is the first to have them all, which makes it not only a secure and distributed payments system, but also a secure and distributed general communications tool as well.
I'm pretty sure that most of these features have been implemented in some coins.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:20:23 PM

How much HDD space would you normally need if you run -po (post office)?

Could you fit (ram-wise) and run emunie on a RPi or BBB?

edit, I've been running the client for a few days now on an i3 and no issues so far. (hatcher and po)

Can't confirm HDD space but ram / hdw spec is REAL damn low. I am running an ERC server on the $5 a month DigitalOcean droplet with desktop ubuntu. I have to cap the ram @ 256MB but it does run. I as of yet have not tested the new client on my pi, but I am willing to bet it too will work with a gui. Headless should run on damn neither anything.

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
Fuserleer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 06:10:20 PM

Just FYI, I'm composing a bunch of fairly comprehensive replies offline at the moment and will post them as and when I am done.  Taking some time to put them together Smiley

Radix - DLT x.0

Fuserleer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 06:42:46 PM

How do you ensure global transaction ordering and double spend prevention? Centralization (PayPal style), PoW, PoS, consensus (Ripple style) or something different?

Why is chat, mail and IMing part of your financial trading software, does it not increase attack surface? How does the benefit outweigh this cost?

That's quite an all encompassing question and needs almost a whitepaper in itself to answer Smiley The paper is currently being written and I hope to have that finished next week. However this being a forum post and not really the place to go into huge detail, I'll point out the major aspects that provide information relevant to your question and save a little on the detail.

Until then if you have any more specific queries related to the following, please do send me a PM here or over on the eMunie forums and I'll converse with you on them until a time when I have the paper published then I can link you to that.

Ledger & Ordering

The transaction ledger at the heart of eMunie is not a single chain like with BitCoin and other crypto-currencies of the moment. eMunie adopts more of a tree style ledger where many branches of transactions can exist and co-reference transactions living on other branches.

Ultimately the system does attempt use the most trusted branch for new transactions, that trust is determined from the age of the inputs that make the transactions, how many transaction iterations they have been through, and also the trust of the Hatcher that verified them.

There are times when the most trusted branch can not be used, specifically when that branch has recently had a new transaction appended to it, that branch then has to fulfil a certain maturity time (which assists in the double spend that I will explain shortly).

When the most trusted branch in the system is undergoing this maturity time, the next most trusted branch is used (and so on), so at any one time, there might be a number of high trust branches in the system.

Taking the above into consideration, global transaction ordering is almost "automatic" via the trust mechanisms in place and is also driven by the verification methods used to ensure that transactions are valid and not double-spent. Which leads me neatly onto how double spends are prevented, detected and cured.

Transaction Verification & Double Spend Prevention

There are a number of policies in place that deal with preventing potential double spend attacks in the eMunie network, the main line of defence being the Hatchers themselves. Hatchers serve to verify that transactions placed with them are indeed fund-able and do not violate the balance of the system via double-spends or other fraudulent activities.

When a transaction is itself created and requires verification, the dependency transactions that it requires are included in the verification instruction. This is to ensure that a Hatcher that may be behind with it's copy of the ledger doesn't agree to clear a transaction that it may not have all the dependency information for and that only Hatchers that have all the required dependencies to verify that transaction correctly respond to the call for a Hatcher from the requesting client.

Once a number of Hatchers have responded, the client performs a crude check to ensure that these Hatchers are indeed in sync, selects one randomly from the list of respondents, and transmits the transaction to that Hatcher for verification. The client also broadcasts to other nodes it is connected to about the transaction verification event, and also to any Seeders that is connected to (there will always be at least 1 Seeder connected).

Nodes identified as a Hatcher receive a constant stream of these transaction verification event notifications from other Hatchers and Seeders as a priority over other traffic in the network to ensure that all Hatcher nodes are as up to date as possible at all times.

Average transit times for notifications about a transaction verification happening somewhere in the network is between 4-5 seconds, longer transit times can of course happen, but that is not really of a concern due to the following.

Hatchers "hold" transactions they have been selected to process until it itself receives that transaction verification notification from a Seeder and another Hatcher, this ensures that the notification is moving around the network as it should, and provides some assurance that other verifying nodes in the system now know about it and have not called "foul play" on that transaction.

Unlike other crypto-currencies that are open-loop, with no inter-communication possible between "miners", eMunie's verification model is very much closed-loop.

Because Hatchers are identifiable from other node types in the network, it is very easy for them to communicate with each other specifically, passing information between themselves regarding transactions that they are processing. With this closed-loop communication between Hatchers being possible, and because transactions are verified by one hatcher only and not all nodes in the system, it is possible for one Hatcher to respond to another informing it that the transaction it is about to process is using an input that it also has a transaction attempting to use.

The two Hatchers can then abort verifying that transaction and broadcast to other Hatchers that the transactions they were working on were in-fact a double spend attempt, provide details about the attempted double spend and generate a failure response to the requesting client that the transaction has failed.

The selected Hatcher performs verification of the transaction by validating that the inputs presented are in-fact spendable by the party trying to spend them, and checking against the various notifications being received about transaction verification events happening in other places in the network that these inputs have not already been spent.

If all is well, the transaction is then broadcast to the network with the verifying Hatcher's signature, and all nodes perform a more lightweight verification against the ledger data that they have and include it (assuming it passes these checks).

In the previous section I mentioned about transaction maturity and this comes into play at this point. Prior to a transaction being broadcast to the network, a maturity time is calculated for that transaction. Some transaction may have zero maturity time, others may have longer maturity times and depends on a set of circumstances. All nodes in the network are able to calculate this same maturity time, and it not persisted with the transaction.

The major determining factors for this maturity time are the age of the transaction inputs used, the trust of the transactions they are within, the trust of the Hatchers that verified them and if any issues prior with these inputs have been discovered (double spend attempt).

These transactions can not be spent until the maturity time has expired, and as a result, no further transactions can be chained to it, or onto the branch where it resides. This allows other Hatchers in the system of the same or higher trust rating to the Hatcher that verified the transaction to perform a "2nd pass" verification on transactions with these maturity times set to ensure that the transactions are indeed good.

If any Hatcher finds that the transaction is indeed a candidate for "foul play", then a system broadcast can be dispatched and all nodes in the system can then remove that transaction from its ledger.

Additionally, should any regular nodes discover that a transaction in its ledger is attempting fraud, that node is able to report that event to a Hatcher that will either resolve the fraudulent activity itself, or can relay that discovery to a Hatcher with sufficient trust.

There are other factors in play to ensure Double Spend prevention, but they are more minor than the policies described in the above section and will be covered in the white paper.

Chat, IM & e-Mail

These services run independently from the transaction service at the core, so attacking them will not yield any exploitable holes.

The system is designed to be very modular, with services being able to interact with others and make use of whatever features they have visible for use outside of their own domain.

For example, it is possible from the chat service to request a transaction be made to a particular user of a chat room that you may be conversing with, but that request has to go through the exact same channels as sending a transaction from the main client GUI, or from the available command API set for headless clients and remote stations, and is restricted by the same set of rules.

Should an attacker be successful in disrupting the e-Mail service, the transaction service and the entire network as a whole would continue as if nothing had happened. Only the users of e-Mail at the time would see any problems.

Radix - DLT x.0

Fuserleer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 07:04:19 PM

So is a github or similiar repo online yet where we can download the code build the thing and try it?

-MarkM-

Not at the present time, eMunie will be closed source for a period of time after launch.  I appreciate that this can and will cause various up-throwing of arms and strong criticism, and it was not an easy decision to make.

There are 2 justified reasons behind this decision, both of which entangle with the other, and these are the following:

Clones

If eMunie were to be made open-source from the launch date, then I'm sure that almost immediately, clones would surface and be vying for market share against the original.  Some people have baulked at this claim, stating that eMunie would attract the majority of the market as it would be the first and the original.  

I concur that this does carry at least some weight as a counter claim, but that does not resolve the other issues that come into play when you have an original development competing with clones of itself out of the gate, and this compounds even further when you are competing for an uneducated demographic where multiple product are available, with new features, all claiming they are the best.

Ultimately I feel that by releasing the source-code at launch, I would be severely jeopardizing the potential success of my eMunie as a solution, by allowing there to be other variants of eMunie from day one.

BitCoin had an advantage when it was released as open-source right from the get go.  There was no market, no competitors, no "community" and no greedy individuals looking to make a quick buck via copy paste.  It had the time to mature, unhindered, and by the time clones started to appear, BitCoin had cemented itself securely as THE crypto-currency.  eMunie won't have that luxury, nor will any crypto-currency ever again.

Roadmap

I have an extensive road map planned for eMunie moving forward, such that the launch client will most certainly not be the complete feature set or system.  V1.0 will be the starting point, with many additional features, services and infrastructure planned in the time that follows.

Should I release eMunie open-source, due to the inevitable clones, instead of concentrating on this road map, and completing my vision, I'll be endlessly trying to stay ahead of my own created competition for market share, when what I really want to be doing is improving and expanding the system and it's adoption.

I have invested a lot of myself into this project, it is self funded and I do this 24/7 so I am very unwilling to jeopardize all that effort and my own goals before I am at a point where I am confident that eMunie is the known, and the clones are the want-to-be's.

Looking to the future I would like to be in a position to be able to release eMunie as open-source sometime in the 2nd half of next year once there has been some time for it to put a stake in the ground and mature somewhat.

Radix - DLT x.0

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 07:23:24 PM

All transaction information that is able to identify you is encrypted and secure, your privacy is guaranteed. The only parties able to see any identifying information is the receiver and the sender. All other parties in the system are unable to view this information and will never know that a transaction between A -> B happened.

There are a number of policies in place that deal with preventing potential double spend attacks in the eMunie network, the main line of defence being the Hatchers themselves. Hatchers serve to verify that transactions placed with them are indeed fund-able and do not violate the balance of the system via double-spends or other fraudulent activities.

I don't understand how Hatchers are able to verify encrypted transactions. Are blind signatures used or anything else?
bahamapascal

Activity: 695

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:22:02 PM

Wow! That looks just soo amazing when reading all the features Smiley
Now I do have a question, will it also be possibel to run the full client on a modern smartphone?
 I just amagin how cool it would be going into the store and then when at the cashier, just pull out the phone,scan a qr-code and then pay instantly!
Just that feature alone could lead to mass adoption, no need for a credit card any more Smiley
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 02:11:21 PM

{words,} {a reply }, {meaningful conversation} {so reply not deleted by STASI mod.}

{a question.}

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 02:32:08 PM

Interesting... is there more than one person working on this project? 
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 08:33:43 PM

How does one get involved?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
kimosan

Activity: 644