Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:53:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC mainstream and use for payments.  (Read 200 times)
dimasinteger (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 12:30:49 PM

Hi all,

I use BTC & LTC a lot for payments, I pay for a lot of services like VPNs and Hosting, I also used BTC for expedia flights booking before.

I still find it a bit geeky to transact with others using crypto, I can not see my gramma or old people or whoever freaks out when they see something looks like this 3MCp7KgQhYDyUmni38klRncnb7Q4Z7Z2gQ to send payments..

I watch a lot of Andreas Antonopoulos youtube videos where he compares BTC with early days of internet when websites were browsed by IP addresses 169.2.233.145 .. and not by domain names, at that time a lot of trolls made fun of the internet and said it will never go mainstream and we saw what happened in past 20 years..

my question is, what are the possible future strategies that would allow people to transact easily without worrying too much about geeky hashcodes, private keys and all of these stuff..

Cheers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 12:34:38 PM

Hi all,

I use BTC & LTC a lot for payments, I pay for a lot of services like VPNs and Hosting, I also used BTC for expedia flights booking before.

I still find it a bit geeky to transact with others using crypto, I can not see my gramma or old people or whoever freaks out when they see something looks like this 3MCp7KgQhYDyUmni38klRncnb7Q4Z7Z2gQ to send payments..

I watch a lot of Andreas Antonopoulos youtube videos where he compares BTC with early days of internet when websites were browsed by IP addresses 169.2.233.145 .. and not by domain names, at that time a lot of trolls made fun of the internet and said it will never go mainstream and we saw what happened in past 20 years..

my question is, what are the possible future strategies that would allow people to transact easily without worrying too much about geeky hashcodes, private keys and all of these stuff..

Cheers.

Actually the future is already here and the only thing missing are the masses who will adopt and accept bitcoin. In the Philippines we are using an app hosted by the bitcoin exchange called coins.ph. Using that app we can send bitcoin anytime to our friends who are using the same app without any fee at all, but if we are going to send btc to an external wallet then the fee is huge. If all the merchants will use the app and the buyers will also use the app they can successfully do an exchange of goods. Buying things using btc without worrying about transaction fee is really possible.
dimasinteger (OP)

Activity: 20

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 12:39:38 PM

Hi all,

my question is, what are the possible future strategies that would allow people to transact easily without worrying too much about geeky receiving addresses , private keys and all of these stuff..

Cheers.

Actually the future is already here and the only thing missing are the masses who will adopt and accept bitcoin. In the Philippines we are using an app hosted by the bitcoin exchange called coins.ph. Using that app we can send bitcoin anytime to our friends who are using the same app without any fee at all, but if we are going to send btc to an external wallet then the fee is huge. If all the merchants will use the app and the buyers will also use the app they can successfully do an exchange of goods. Buying things using btc without worrying about transaction fee is really possible.

Thanks for the involvement! my question is not about fees, I trust LN for Micro payments! as well as segwit and additionally Litecoin, but my point is, how is it possible to make receiving addresses look easier for users, think of domain names and ip addresses

would you remember 156.214.235.114 OR someword.com ?

krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 04:57:32 PM

Someone posted something similar to this topic on Reddit four years ago, Bitcoin addresses need a new naming shorthand:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1u805o/bitcoin_addresses_need_a_new_naming_shorthand_to

One of the responses was,

I'd be happier sending to '1667dggwAuUzsrcc1Ujmdj1pX6qecCdKz8' than ''billing@gas.provider.bitcoin' because there is a built-in 32-bit checksum to catch a typo or copy/paste error with 99.99999998% certainty ( (1- 1/(232) )*100 ) rather than silently accepting my irreversible transaction to a wrong email-style address.

A couple of pros and cons of address aliases are discussed, not good for Bitcoin's trustless model/third-party, simply copy/paste, use QR codes. IMO, having address aliases would make Bitcoin more user-friendly and I have no idea how it could be implemented.

There is CryptoAlias project, based on this same concept.

We believe that blockchain technologies should be accessible to everyone, regardless of age or IT skills. We intend to facilitate and accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrencies, by making blockchain usage simpler, easier and more secure. Our first goal is to eliminate the need of using blockchain addresses, similarly to how domain names eliminated the need of using IPs.

You get a unique alias and associate your blockchain address with it. Instead of using your blockchain address, people can start using your simple and personalized alias. Alternatively, people can continue to use your blockchain address. However, when they input it in a wallet, your alias will appear and will give them the confidence of having introduced the right characters.

CryptoAlias is compatible with all blockchains. We aim to become the de facto standard for blockchain identity, similarly to how DNS is for the web.

https://www.cryptoalias.io
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 07:34:10 PM

Thanks for the involvement! my question is not about fees, I trust LN for Micro payments! as well as segwit and additionally Litecoin, but my point is, how is it possible to make receiving addresses look easier for users, think of domain names and ip addresses

would you remember 156.214.235.114 OR someword.com ?

Why not just use an app like the Mycelium mobile wallet or anything else where you can save an address and label it for yourself with anything you like, you won't need to deal with numbers and letters in a row anymore...
I think the future will be something like you'll have a new category inside a contact, which will be a crypto address, you'll be able to easily scan someone's QR code to attach it to the person's details.
You'll be able to use these stored addresses in every app, so you won't need to remember the addresses itself if they are stored on your phone.
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
December 23, 2018, 04:11:09 PM

I think bitcoin can continue drive progress more years even it has no legal acceptance.

It may be so but it will be impossible for bitcoin to enter mainstream and eventually replace Paypal as global payment service without legal acceptance.
No way.
Bitcoin is decentralized and it can be real legal problem if some fraud happen.
Who will be responsible?
If we don't solve such issues bitcoin will remain great alternative to Paypal and other ways similar payment services but nothing else.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
incomefromcoins

Activity: 336

View Profile
December 24, 2018, 07:00:19 AM

Bitcoin may soon become  internet payment fav payment processor look at most of the online merchant websites are going to accept bitcoin as the main payment processor mass adoption of cryptocurrency is happening and speed up soon
Kopyleft

Activity: 168
Merit: 15

Future of Security Tokens

View Profile
December 24, 2018, 07:25:44 AM

Any new technology comes with a fair share of skepticism as people are usually repellent to changes, especially when it concerns their finances.
There may have to be modifications to the bitcoin network before we can go mainstream.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: