Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:41:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is it worth buying asic miner to heat my apartment?  (Read 275 times)
Way2Paradise (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 05:37:55 PM

as the topic says: is it worth buying asic miner to heat my apartment?

in the winter months, i use a electric heating. it would be worthwhile to buy for it asic miner and heating with it my apartment?

is there anything in this direction? i have not found anything yet. and how is the volume of such asic miner? audible?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BroganBloodstone

Merit: 101

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 05:46:06 PM

You probably would not be able to stand the sound it makes. I suggest building a GPU mining. It will heat up your apartment and spare your ears Smiley
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 05:55:36 PM

I'm not sure.

First about ASIC price, ASIC price (whatever Algorithm) costly enough. And next winter, those ASIC may have too old for doing mining.

Second, How many ASIC you need?. One ASIC machine may can only heat small space and would be noisy.
Way2Paradise (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 06:00:05 PM

You probably would not be able to stand the sound it makes. I suggest building a GPU mining. It will heat up your apartment and spare your ears Smiley

oh, asic miner are so loud....? this is bad. so a gpu miner. will try to collect some information about gpu miner. thanks for the advice.  Smiley

I'm not sure.

First about ASIC price, ASIC price (whatever Algorithm) costly enough. And next winter, those ASIC may have too old for doing mining.

Second, How many ASIC you need?. One ASIC machine may can only heat small space and would be noisy.

that's right, these are things that I have to think about it. thanks for the advice.  Smiley
BroganBloodstone

Merit: 101

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 06:04:40 PM

oh, asic miner are so loud....? this is bad. so a gpu miner. will try to collect some information about gpu miner. thanks for the advice.  Smiley

I'm not sure.

that's right, these are things that I have to think about it. thanks for the advice.  Smiley

No problem. My understanding is if you lower fan speed it means you get less hashes from the ASIC. This maybe different for different ASICs however. Someone may come with no adjustment. I suggest you watch some youtube videos for sound. They make more noise than a hair dryer.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 06:21:42 PM

A GPU rig will cost you 3 times as much as an asic and only put out half the heat. Its not worth trying to use GPUs to heat up your house.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
2stout

Activity: 2352
Merit: 585

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 03:43:04 PM

You'd have to make sure your apartment can handle power requirements for selected ASIC.  Also, a space heater may be a more cost efficient option for heating vs buying an ASIC and then factoring in electrical cost, if electric costs apply.
Suslived

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 04:06:34 PM

Get some AMD VEGA GPUs. The reference edition with blower fans. They are notorious for blowing hot air around a room. I remember when i ran my rig in my room. Everytime i come home and open the door it feels like im entering a sauna. I live in a tropical country btw so if you live anywhere else it should be bearable. Probably..

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Ikechebelu

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 04:08:13 PM

In my opinion, it is not worth it because of the sound, GPU is better
leetlezee

Activity: 232
Merit: 38

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 04:11:54 PM

A GPU rig will cost you 3 times as much as an asic and only put out half the heat. Its not worth trying to use GPUs to heat up your house.

Yes, GPU rigs cost more than ASICs, but they hold their value way longer, since at some point, ASICs become a door weight while GPUs could be used for gaming for years to come. And as others have posts, ASICs are a lot louder than GPUs. My brother and a friend of mine both have the L3+ and said they are as loud as a vacuum cleaner.

I've used GPUs to help heat a house, and they did help reduce my heating bills by quite a bit. And this spring, I moved them to a closet adjacent to my office, and they've kept my office very cozy.

However, in the summer, you will need to ventilate the miner to the outdoors or you will roast.
Way2Paradise (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 02:44:15 PM

I'm not sure.

No problem. My understanding is if you lower fan speed it means you get less hashes from the ASIC. This maybe different for different ASICs however. Someone may come with no adjustment. I suggest you watch some youtube videos for sound. They make more noise than a hair dryer.

yes, i have watched the last few hours a few videos. the noises are really loud. i was not expecting that. believe the noise becomes a problem.  Cry

i'll work it out later. the price is an important factor.

You'd have to make sure your apartment can handle power requirements for selected ASIC.  Also, a space heater may be a more cost efficient option for heating vs buying an ASIC and then factoring in electrical cost, if electric costs apply.

this is not a problem. my apartment can handle it. i have extra lines for the space heater. yes, electric costs apply. this was the main reason and the idea to change my space heater to asic or gpu miner.

Get some AMD VEGA GPUs. The reference edition with blower fans. They are notorious for blowing hot air around a room. I remember when i ran my rig in my room. Everytime i come home and open the door it feels like im entering a sauna. I live in a tropical country btw so if you live anywhere else it should be bearable. Probably..

thanks for the advice.

In my opinion, it is not worth it because of the sound, GPU is better

thanks for the advice.

thanks you all for your posts. that definitely helped me a lot. in any case, the next few days i make me more thoughts about it
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2018, 04:12:13 PM

Well basically it could make your room warm easily, but the thing is its noise level is about > 74dB, so almost like a vacuum cleaner. For me, I will consider a GPU mining rig which may have only 4-5 GPUs. Its price is quite relatively same as an asic miner (around 2000 usd). And of course, it also could heat your apartment in silence, even me, in the winter, I move one of my rig back to my apartment as well Tongue
Sledge0001

Activity: 583
Merit: 149

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2018, 04:33:53 PM

as the topic says: is it worth buying asic miner to heat my apartment?

in the winter months, i use a electric heating. it would be worthwhile to buy for it asic miner and heating with it my apartment?

is there anything in this direction? i have not found anything yet. and how is the volume of such asic miner? audible?

If you are deaf and have no concerns over at quality then this is a great idea.
maksimukr1989

Activity: 513
Merit: 117

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2018, 05:43:02 PM

your idea is certainly interesting.but you can live with constant noise?by instruction the temperature is from 0 to 40.Depending on the ambient temperature there will be different temperatures in your room. if you use it for heating, then in winter it will not be relevant.you will have to warm the room itself.
Way2Paradise (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 05:31:40 PM

i think slowly, the implementation is not possible. it always fails because of the noise problem. asic or gpus, both are very loud and since i'm not deaf, it's a problem.

anyway, thanks you all for your answers. i leave the thread open. maybe someone find a solution for the noise problem.  Smiley
Way2Paradise (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 12:46:04 PM

i close the thread now. i think no one has a good idea to solve the noise problem.

anyway, thanks to all for the answers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: