Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:04:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: consequences of --with-incompatible-bdb ?  (Read 776 times)
pysiak (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 07:33:38 PM

I'm building my bitcoind on debian 7.2 which provides libdb++-dev in 5.1 and this forces me to use --with-incomaptible-bdb.
It works, but what are the risks of running non 4.8? Is it only for portability of the data between installations using different version of the library?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
faceface

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2019, 10:29:02 AM

Same question... 6 years later.
danda

Activity: 201
Merit: 157

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2019, 08:34:57 PM

as I recall, the blockchain database uses leveldb, but the wallet uses bdb.   So if you build with a different bdb version and then create and uses a wallet with that version, then your wallet cannot be opened with a standard ( bdb v4.8 ) version of bitcoin-core.   This could be an issue for you years down the road, when maybe you are trying to restore the wallet on some other computer/os.

mybitprices.info - wallet auditing   |  hd-wallet-derive - derive keys locally |  hd-wallet-addrs - find used addrs
lightning-nodes - list of LN nodes  |  coinparams - params for 300+ alts  |  jsonrpc-cli - cli jsonrpc client
subaddress-derive-xmr - monero offline wallet tool
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6266

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2019, 10:06:42 PM

I'm trying to remember...this was a while ago...but the other issue is / was some wallet functions will not work because the calls do not exist or they are done differently.
There was an old thread (2014 or 15 perhaps) where someone was making an alt-coin that did this. You would have to go digging in the altcoin sections to even have a possibility of finding it. It's just something I vaguely remember from years ago.

Sorry I could not be more help.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
wiggi

Activity: 403
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 01:16:33 PM

So if you build with a different bdb version and then create and uses a wallet with that version, then your wallet cannot be opened with a standard ( bdb v4.8 ) version of bitcoin-core.   This could be an issue for you years down the road, when maybe you are trying to restore the wallet on some other computer/os.

Wallets created with different (I used v0.7 and v0.14) versions of the precompiled binaries in Windows can be used with Bitcoin Core made with --with-incompatible-bdb in Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04 and 18.04. At least I didn't encounter any obvious problem.

But it's potential incompatibility, risk that some wallet functions may not work. And risk that a wallet can't be opened with future versions.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: