Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:42:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: are you in IT? how did you get here?  (Read 1144 times)
Ecurb123 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:34:00 PM

I've been working in IT for around five years now, and one thing I've noticed is that a lot of people in this business didn't really plan to be here. How did you get into the IT profession? Was that the plan all along or did you somehow just end up here?
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:47:54 PM

When I went to college I entered in Mechanical Engineering and I got my first computer and Internet in that year, I spent a lot of time learning computer stuff, my girlfriend at the time was always saying that I like my computer more than her, a friend of mine was changing for computer/software engineering and told me about that course so we change together in the next year, so yeah, I didn't plan to end up working in IT. Smiley

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3084

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 12:37:20 AM

In 1983, at 13 years old, I underwent open heart surgery to replace a swollen aorta.  They opened me up, discovered I was too swollen to put in the pig's valve they wanted, and sealed me back, to undergo the same surgery a week later with a metal valve.  I was in the hospital for a total of 6 weeks.  During that time I read every single book they had in my school library on computers.  I fell in love with the logic and never looked back.  I've been in IT for over 20 years now.

On a side note: My valve was supposed to last 7 years - it's going past 30 now.  Considering these things are hand crafted, I got an excellent one!  Smiley

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:42:07 AM

In 1983, at 13 years old, I underwent open heart surgery to replace a swollen aorta.  They opened me up, discovered I was too swollen to put in the pig's valve they wanted, and sealed me back, to undergo the same surgery a week later with a metal valve.  I was in the hospital for a total of 6 weeks.  During that time I read every single book they had in my school library on computers.  I fell in love with the logic and never looked back.  I've been in IT for over 20 years now.

On a side note: My valve was supposed to last 7 years - it's going past 30 now.  Considering these things are hand crafted, I got an excellent one!  Smiley

What a great story! 20 years? Have you had many jobs involving IT or are you freelancing etc?

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 12:46:28 AM

What a great story! 20 years? Have you had many jobs involving IT or are you freelancing etc?

Thanks!  It's just a coincidence, but I'm going for my annual checkup tomorrow.  They make me run until I almost collapse to see how the valve performs.  Not fun.  Sad

I've had many jobs in IT - I always got bored and moved around so my longest job has been 2 years.  Nowadays most of my income comes from online ventures and clients I have built up.  I still take the odd job to get out of the house and make new contacts. 

I am worried about my future because there is a negative perception for people over 40 years old in IT.  And I understand it, because young people are cheaper, and the skills I learned over ten years ago are really no longer relevant, so why should an employer pay for them?

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:50:14 AM

Thanks!  It's just a coincidence, but I'm going for my annual checkup tomorrow.  They make me run until I almost collapse to see how the valve performs.  Not fun.  Sad

I've had many jobs in IT - I always got bored and moved around so my longest job has been 2 years.  Nowadays most of my income comes from online ventures and clients I have built up.  I still take the odd job to get out of the house and make new contacts. 

I am worried about my future because there is a negative perception for people over 40 years old in IT.  And I understand it, because young people are cheaper, and the skills I learned over ten years ago are really no longer relevant, so why should an employer pay for them?

That's almost true for all jobs though. Older normally are replaced with fresher younger and most importantly cheaper. I find the story quite sad because of the young age you were when it happened. But, it's amazing that it's still working past the prediction.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Ecurb123 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:16:47 AM

Thanks for sharing that story, interesting. So far in my five years sort of officially in IT, I've held two jobs. For me it's a long story, I'll try to make it short. I've always, even as a boy loved computers, but I wasn't so good in school and didn't really have a lot of motivation to go to or do well in college. I ended up getting a job as a machine operator while taking a class or two all the time at the local community college. Overtime the opportunities came up in that factory and I ended up working in the engineering / prototype department doing CAD/CAM. The experience with CAD allowed me to change to another company doing strictly modeling and drafting of mechanical components. At this company they used the PLM system called Windchill. Everyone hated it but for some reason I could understand well how the software should work and how to work around all it's little problems. Later I was offered a position in the IT department as sort of a Jr PLM/CAD admin. With that experience I was able to move to another company, the one I'm with now, doing "IT system ownership" and project management.

Overall I'm happy with how the business has treated me, but I want to move into more the new technology area, somewhere I can help progress the tech further. Somehow I feel like fooling with bitcoin and opensource hardware is getting me closer.           
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 11:37:45 PM

Thanks!  It's just a coincidence, but I'm going for my annual checkup tomorrow.  They make me run until I almost collapse to see how the valve performs.  Not fun.  Sad

Well, I had my checkup and not good news.  They have put me on a new medication to control my heart palpitations.  Sad   My valve is still going strong though!

Only 43 years old and already I must take 4 pills a day to survive.  

Luckily, IT is not a strenuous career, and I don't need to give up my bouncing hobby either.

MaxBTC1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 11:39:38 PM

>valves has lasted more than 4x its estimated span
>licks boob everyday

ladies and gentlemen we have a scientific breakthrough over here
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 11:58:14 PM

I've wanted to go that way, but then I had decided to study medicine.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Ecurb123 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:10:28 PM

I think there are a lot of great things to do, I love IT but who knows if I'll move onto something else one day.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:16:41 PM

I think there are a lot of great things to do, I love IT but who knows if I'll move onto something else one day.
Saving lives yet being among the top paid class, who could ask for more?
IT is less stressful though.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tekke
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:21:38 PM

Well I been around computers since i can remember. So for me choosing this path was simple. I have a computer science degree, several cisco, microsoft certifications, and currently working as a consultant , but planning on getting a Master on Video Game Design. That was my wildest dream as a kid. Develop my own videogame  Grin
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:33:59 PM

I've been working in IT for around five years now, and one thing I've noticed is that a lot of people in this business didn't really plan to be here. How did you get into the IT profession? Was that the plan all along or did you somehow just end up here?

I knew I want to work in IT since I was 6, so that what it. I keep learning and eventually work in IT related industry.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 09:29:49 PM

I knew I want to work in IT since I was 6, so that what it. I keep learning and eventually work in IT related industry.
If you're not good in Maths you should reconsider right now.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Ecurb123 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:59:33 PM

If you're not good in Maths you should reconsider right now.

what are you talking about? Anyway the IT field is wide, I would bet most in it are not particularly good at math.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 11:10:39 PM

what are you talking about? Anyway the IT field is wide, I would bet most in it are not particularly good at math.
Well it is.
If you're going the top $ way (programmer, security researcher and the best being software engineer), have fun writing algorithms with knowledge in chemistry or biology.  Cheesy

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
elena_extraordinaire

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 03:31:43 PM

I worked as a student worker at my undergraduate university's IT department. Most of my work was with the university's Helpdesk but it also gave me a chance to explore things like web development and educational technology. Right now I'm working on an Educational Technology Masters and my hope is to eventually join my university's Edtech team. However, my real passion is with making stuff for the web.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:45:00 PM

nice story !
elektibi75

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 12:31:14 PM

It was the plan all along.I love my job but i know what you mean about the many others who are in the IT just for job and they don`t like it one bit...

█ DARFChain █ DARFChain - smart escrow engine, based on proof-of-accounting consensus █....
▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚
• Whitepaper • ANN Thread • Telegram • Facebook • Reddit • Slack • YouTube • VK
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: