Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:58:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mourning/self-soothing-thread ‚I missed the bubble‘  (Read 2333 times)
Roccker (OP)

Activity: 264
Merit: 111

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:05:57 PM

My name is Mike and I missed the bubble.
I discovered bitcoin at about 14th of October at 140. Then it took some tries to get documents to register on bitstamp – when I finally registered it was already at 190 and I didn’t buy thinking too late. Then it fell down after 200 and I thought it's collapsing already and was afraid again. At 255 i bought supersmall. 
I would love to tell people I did invest and in a few days doubled my capital. It would change my life. And all because of a few days i discovered bitcoin 'late' - at 140 i would have been much more confident investing bigger. Now it is no use anymore. Everybody waits for the fall and for buying in even more. But fall is not happening anymore cause everybody wants in now.

But this mourning is bullshit.
I discovered bitcoin per accident. I would have sold already at 200 probably if I had invested in 140. I don’t deserve the luck more than anyone else. I did my best of getting my documents fast to register at bitstamp, it just didn’t work out. It is what it is. I can be thankful knowing about bitcoin now. I am still ‘pretty early’ – normal persons don’t know about bitcoin yet.. Microsoft was still a great buy after they released windows 95, and by this time everybody and his dog knew about it. I just invest in the next months and look again in 10 years.

The Case for Bitcoin:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4882599.msg43979219#msg43979219

[am a noob]
update 2018: not total newb anymore i guess- now turned megalomaniac
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:35:45 PM

I had a similar experience as you, but I discovered bitcoin or at least got really interested in it at the beginning of the bubble in February this year. It just reached its ATH at $32 and I was too afraid to buy and decided to wait and learn more about it first. Then it just went up and up and up... and I felt pretty bad for missing that ride lol. Eventually I thought fuck it and started buying my first bitcoins around $130-140, after it had already increased 1000% since January. I knew it was high risk at this point but I just kept on buying more bitcoins over time, like a few whenever price corrected a little. After the price crashed at $266 I just kept buying and tried to catch the lows and lower my average entry point, and now looking back I can definitely say I made the right decision. For you it's still not too late so don't worry, stick to the plan and trust in the long term value of bitcoin. And don't put so much money in that it can ruin your life if something happens and bitcoin does go to 0. Smiley

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:44:34 PM

I think this is the best mourning post I have ever read.

But cheer up! The real bubble is still a ways down the line. There is still time!

more or less retired.
rampantparanoia

Activity: 516
Merit: 283

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:14:02 PM

bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:26:32 PM

No big deal,  just hop onto the next one
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:29:11 PM

It's still early. It should go up eventually and my guess is it will double if not tripple current price. The question is whether it will take weeks, months or years. If you have some zombie apocalypse savings, buy BTC. Wink

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:48:13 PM

I discovered bitcoin at about 14th of October at 140. Then it took some tries to get documents to register on bitstamp – when I finally registered it was already at 190 and I didn’t buy thinking too late. Then it fell down after 200 and I thought it's collapsing already and was afraid again. At 255 i bought supersmall. 
I would love to tell people I did invest and in a few days doubled my capital. It would change my life. And all because of a few days i discovered bitcoin 'late' - at 140 i would have been much more confident investing bigger. Now it is no use anymore. Everybody waits for the fall and for buying in even more. But fall is not happening anymore cause everybody wants in now.

I discovered bitcoin per accident. I would have sold already at 200 probably if I had invested in 140. I don’t deserve the luck more than anyone else. I did my best of getting my documents fast to register at bitstamp, it just didn’t work out. It is what it is. I can be thankful knowing about bitcoin now. I am still ‘pretty early’ – normal persons don’t know about bitcoin yet.. Microsoft was still a great buy after they released windows 95, and by this time everybody and his dog knew about it. I just invest in the next months and look again in 10 years.

Don't fret Roccker.  In the big picture you are still very early. 

The *exact* same thing happened to me during the March/April run-up.  By the time I was confident enough in the bitcoin protocol/encryption, understood how to manage my wallet, and found a way to actually purchase bitcoin in the quantity I wanted, the price was 4X higher!  I thought I had missed the boat.

I just kept on dollar-cost averaging over the summer (and still continue to as I earn money from working)....and suddenly when I talk to people, they see me as the early adopter! 

There are many more hills and valleys ahead as we hike up the Himalayas.  My advice, if you believe in bitcoin, is to not look at the price and just build a position up to an amount you would be OK losing (in case the worst-case scenario came true). 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:08:09 AM

I have even more cause to be mad than the OP.

First, I tried buying at $100 at coinbase. And it was rejected. Due to a 'bank fail'. So I contacted support. They said try again.
Then, I tried buying at $200 at coinbase. And it was  rejected. Due to 'high risk'. So I contacted support. They said try again.
Less than a week ago I tried buying at $300 at coinbase. And it was rejected. Due to 'high risk'. They said try again.

I think I need to stop trying to buy at coinbase.

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:11:14 AM

Don't worry, there's gonna be another hipe. Just make sure to be ready for it (probably sooner than you might think).

btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:11:57 AM

Buy locally.  see my sig.

First, I tried buying at $100 at coinbase. And it was rejected. Due to a 'bank fail'. So I contacted support. They said try again.
Then, I tried buying at $200 at coinbase. And it was  rejected. Due to 'high risk'. So I contacted support. They said try again.
Less than a week ago I tried buying at $300 at coinbase. And it was rejected. Due to 'high risk'. They said try again.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
Roccker (OP)

Activity: 264
Merit: 111

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:53:17 AM

Next whining:
It's never gonna fall again, cause now there is too much trust now Sad
Smiley)

The Case for Bitcoin:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4882599.msg43979219#msg43979219

[am a noob]
update 2018: not total newb anymore i guess- now turned megalomaniac
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:36:24 PM

Next whining:
It's never gonna fall again, cause now there is too much trust now Sad
Smiley)

So did you buy yet? Just buy a little to feel like you didn't miss the boat, and then buy more when it goes down. Whatever you do, don't be afraid to buy when it goes down hard. Because the price will fall (and go up) again, the only question is when.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:02:20 PM

I think I'll never understand why people make it so hard on themselves and think about when to buy like it's a one time all or nothing decision.

You can just buy some mBits every week, you know.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:25:55 PM

I think I'll never understand why people make it so hard on themselves and think about when to buy like it's a one time all or nothing decision.

You can just buy some mBits every week, you know.

Thats because when you see the price go up you think you lost something not investing. I always feel regret when I sell, thinking it won't go up more and few hours later it does. Whatever, life goes on Cheesy

If you invwest in BTC you will profit! It may not be much and may take a while. All you need is patience. Nobody ever lost on BTC, those who say otherwise threw their money away panicking and selling low.

BarsMonster

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:29:59 PM

Don't worry bro.
When I was too lazy to do the paperwork for Gox to buy 5000$ worth of Bitcoins they were 2.7$ each.
Feel free to feel my frustration now and enjoy your much smaller virtual "losses" Cool
porcupine87

Activity: 546

hm

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:31:57 PM

Bitcoin has the potential to get to 100 000$. Don't compare it with a huge company which is already mainstream (Microsoft with Windows 95). I heard of Bitcoin when it was at maybe 10$ early 2012. But I was scared about the trend and had no money to spend. In 2 years I will look at 2013 with different eyes and you will, too.

But if you buy now I would recommend to hold at least 6 months. Even if the price should have the next days. Hold!

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
Kaiji

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Hoist the Colours

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:39:37 PM

Don't feel bad, it's not your fault you discovered bitcoins too late in the game. I was practically kicking myself for only finding out about bitcoins this last March. Had I heard about them in 2010 I would have invested in a 1000 coins for longterm.

It might be a good idea to buy in the next dip but at the rate its going who knows if it will go down enough to buy in cheap.

The best thing I've learned about bitcoins so far is that thinking 6 months or 1yr ahead is better than hoping for a short term change; the latter of which causes you panic sell at low prices or buy when its too high.

If it makes you feel better you can try with altcoins on sites like btc-e but its very risky and unpredictable and a lot of people lost out on them. A plus is that they are only $0.50 to $5 right now and are less of a risk with btc being at $400.
snakebit

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:07:36 PM

Pretty much the same exact thing happened to be with Coinbase last month. I placed a small order of .5 BTC when it was 180. That was rejected due to "high-risk"

I try again a couple weeks later for 1.5 BTC, this was when the price jumped up alot during that 5 day wait time. I still got rejected. I sent them an e-mail regarding this, but I never received a response from them. Needless to say, I think I am done with Coinbase. I was hoping it would work out well due to the convenience of linking my bank account. I guess I'll just stick with stamp, localbitcoins and giving CoinMKT a try.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: