Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:33:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on LocalBitcoins Trade  (Read 827 times)
snuff (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:43:02 PM

This morning I bought a $300 vanilla reload card to pay for Bitcoins I was trying to buy off localbitcoins.com. I got the card sent the picture of the card and the receipt as the seller requested then waited. An hour or two passed and I messaged the seller, they told me they were on their mobile and couldn't get the vanilla website to load and they wanted me to cancel my purchase. I have not done that yet and would prefer not to as the seller already has the info and I have absolutely no use for the reload card other than what I bought it for.

What should I do? If I don't cancel and dispute it would localbitcoins release the coins or side with the seller?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
snuff (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:24:20 AM

No one? Payment was completed and marked complete at 11 a.m., a little after 1 p.m. the seller asked me to cancel the order. I have sent him 2 messages since then and have not got a reply.

Is there a way to check the balance on a vanilla reload card? I don't have a vanilla debit card.
snuff (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:41:06 AM

Nevermind. Seller finally came thru.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 03:47:22 AM

The coins should have been in escrow before you sent payment info.  Once coins are in escrow the seller cannot cancel the transaction and get their coins back.  Only the buyer and/or the localbitcions staff can cancel an escrow contract.

So, the seller cannot back out of the contract.  They must either get you to back out and cancel the escrow or contact localbitcoins and convice them that you did not pay (but you can prove you did pay so they would not be able to do that).

The seller pretty much has to release the coins once payment is made.  It looks like they figured that out and finally did the right thing.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: