Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:46:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Theymos anonymous?  (Read 7330 times)
go1111111 (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 162

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:38:01 PM

Has Theymos (the person who runs this forum) ever revealed any personal info about himself? Do we know his name, where he lives, etc? Is the real person behind the Theymos handle an active member of the community apart from on this forum and on reddit?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maidak
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:41:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoSWnxieScw heres a interview he did seems pretty transparent to me

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
       ▄▄▄██▄▄▄
    ▄███████████▄
    █████████████▄
   ███████████████
▄█████████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████████████▀██
    ▀█████████████▄
    ▄▀█████████████▄
   █▀ ▀▀▀██████████▌
▐███    ▄█████████▀▀
 ▀▀     ▄█████▀▀
       ███▀▀
      ██▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 11:44:13 PM

Has Theymos (the person who runs this forum) ever revealed any personal info about himself?

Yes

Do we know his name, where he lives, etc?

Yes

stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:46:20 PM

Has Theymos (the person who runs this forum) ever revealed any personal info about himself? Do we know his name, where he lives, etc? Is the real person behind the Theymos handle an active member of the community apart from on this forum and on reddit?

Everything you wanted to know.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
go1111111 (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:58:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoSWnxieScw heres a interview he did seems pretty transparent to me

Are you claiming that Theymos is actually Gavin Andresen? That doesn't seem likely.

It looks like his name is Michael Marquardt. There's not that much info about him on the Internet, at least not much visible from some cursory searching.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 12:03:13 AM

It looks like his name is Michael Marquardt.

Good job sherlock.

There's not that much info about him on the Internet, at least not much visible from some cursory searching.

Bad job sherlock.

go1111111 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:13:04 AM

There's not that much info about him on the Internet, at least not much visible from some cursory searching.

Bad job sherlock.

What info are you finding? Sure, he appears to have a website which lists some personal preferences, an inactive twitter account, a Wikipedia user page which lists more personal preferences, and some references to his email/AIM/ICQ accounts. That's not very useful information for establishing trust.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 12:15:03 AM

That's not very useful information for establishing trust.

That's probably because you are trying to build trust the incorrect way.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:15:24 AM

Bad job sherlock.

What info are you finding? Sure, he appears to have a website which lists some personal preferences, an inactive twitter account, a Wikipedia user page which lists more personal preferences, and some references to his email/AIM/ICQ accounts. That's not very useful information for establishing trust.

And why do you need to trust him that much, may I ask?
go1111111 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:30:28 AM

I'm not a security expert, but if Theymos did want to be untrustworthy, it seems like he's in a better position to do harm than a lot of people:

-Bitcointalk uses Javascript. It is well known that a lot of members here will be on bitcointalk and on their favorite web wallet site at the same time. There may be some XSS opportunity here, though as I said I'm not an expert.

-There are some small % of newb/dumb bitcointalk forum members who probably use a similar password on bitcointalk and on their favorite web wallet. It seems possible that Theymos could somehow get access to people's bitcointalk passwords if he wanted, giving him or his friends a huge password cracking advantage over a random person.

A few small bits of info that I found mildly concerning, and caused me to be curious about Theymos:

-Theymos seems to have been a defender/supporter of TradeFortress. It's possible that they are friends, but I'm not sure. The circumstances around 1 million dollars disappearing from TradeFortress's inputs.io business suggest that TradeFortress may be very shady.

-There are a lot of people on reddit who pop up with stories about how funds were stolen from their hot wallets because they didn't have 2-factor authentication, and they describe having pretty complex passwords. It's somewhat of a mystery how their passwords are being cracked.

-The fact that Theymos allegedly raised like $600k for this forum, yet the forum is not that good technically, is sort of weird and makes me wonder how much of that was actually spent on the forum.

I'm not saying we should suspect Theymos of any nefarious activities, but the above is just why I care more about Theymos's trust level than I care about a random user's.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:36:45 AM

So, you want to trust theymos to protect people from their own stupidity? Did I got that right?
go1111111 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:43:46 AM

So, you want to trust theymos to protect people from their own stupidity? Did I got that right?

Not quite. I'm just wondering how sure we are that Theymos is not the kind of person to try to actively take advantage of the stupidity of people who use his forum.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 12:44:25 AM

I'm not an expert.

Obviously not, but at least you have a realistic assessment here. It's just that XSS doesn't work that way.

-There are some small % of newb/dumb bitcointalk forum members who probably use a similar password on bitcointalk and on their favorite web wallet. It seems possible that Theymos could somehow get access to people's bitcointalk passwords if he wanted, giving him or his friends a huge password cracking advantage over a random person.

That is true, dumb people will get raped, probably not by theymos though. Or at least not directly.

-Theymos seems to have been a defender/supporter of TradeFortress. It's possible that they are friends, but I'm not sure. The circumstances around 1 million dollars disappearing from TradeFortress's inputs.io business suggest that TradeFortress may be very shady.

TF looks like he's been sloppy, probably not malicious though. But that's just my opinion.

-There are a lot of people on reddit who pop up with stories about how funds were stolen from their hot wallets because they didn't have 2-factor authentication, and they describe having pretty complex passwords. It's somewhat of a mystery how their passwords are being cracked.

I think there are far more plausible explanations the one you're suggesting.

-The fact that Theymos allegedly raised like $600k for this forum, yet the forum is not that good technically, is sort of weird and makes me wonder how much of that was actually spent on the forum.

You seem to assume that transforming money into working software is easy and frictionless. It just isn't, managing an IT project is a full-time job.

I'm not saying we should suspect Theymos of any nefarious activities, but the above is just why I care more about Theymos's trust level than I care about a random user's.

You shouldn't need to trust him if you use a different password for all sites you care about and if you assume no PM privacy.
Bottom line, if your security depends on trusting theymos I suggest you review your security instead of looking for reasons to trust him.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 12:45:26 AM

Excellent fine, bud. I just found one of Gavin Andresen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtkflEaeGjo
go1111111 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 12:54:01 AM

That is true, dumb people will get raped, probably not by theymos though. Or at least not directly.

Being indirectly raped by theymos still sounds suboptimal.

You seem to assume that transforming money into working software is easy and frictionless. It just isn't, managing an IT project is a full-time job.

I've been a professional software developer for almost 10 years, I have a pretty decent idea of what it takes to run a site using someone else's forum software.

You shouldn't need to trust him if you use a different password for all sites you care about and if you assume no PM privacy.
Bottom line, if your security depends on trusting theymos I suggest you review your security instead of looking for reasons to trust him.

I'm not asking about my own security. You guys are acting like it's not legitimate to care whether owners of this forum are contributing to newbs and dumb people being stolen from.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:03:33 AM

I've been a professional software developer for almost 10 years, I have a pretty decent idea of what it takes to run a site using someone else's forum software.
...right.

Anyways, theymos is asking SMF for an exception so the forum's modifications can be audited. so you can audit with to your heart's content.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 01:13:58 AM

Being indirectly raped by theymos still sounds suboptimal.

Sale/purchase of forum accounts is openly permitted, hence the indirect rape.
Just don't trust the forum.

Stick to development, you're not ready for management.
If there was a magical open source silver bullet it'd be used already. Otherwise it has to be tailor-made, see previous post.

I'm not asking about my own security. You guys are acting like it's not legitimate to care whether owners of this forum are contributing to newbs and dumb people being stolen from.

Everyone is responsible for their own safety, knowing that nobody will ever bail you out, or protect you is a much saner mindset than the "let's protect dumb people from their own stupidity and incompetence" fantasy.

Anyways, theymos is asking SMF for an exception so the forum's modifications can be audited. so you can audit with to your heart's content.

What?

go1111111 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:34:14 AM

Everyone is responsible for their own safety, knowing that nobody will ever bail you out, or protect you is a much saner mindset than the "let's protect dumb people from their own stupidity and incompetence" fantasy.

It's not an either/or. Would you not care if theymos was using people's bctalk passwords to try to crack the web wallet passwords of newbs, as long as it didn't affect you?
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 01:53:11 AM

It's not an either/or. Would you not care if theymos was using people's bctalk passwords to try to crack the web wallet passwords of newbs, as long as it didn't affect you?

Your question seems to imply that I'd have some way of knowing. I don't. I do know that money does strange things to people, so the correct course of action is to avoid the problem altogether by ensuring your very own safety.

You'd want the benefits of being your own bank without having your own bank to protect?

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:39:40 AM

-Theymos seems to have been a defender/supporter of TradeFortress. 

Where'd you get that impression? I defended his Ripple-related actions once, and my opinion of that case hasn't changed. But I barely know him.

I'm not a sociable guy. There are few people in the Bitcoin community who I have any sort of casual relationship with. AFAIK, I've met a grand total of two forum users AFK.

It's provable via the block chain that that money hasn't been spent, and I don't even hold a lot of that money.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: