Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 02:01:54 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best alternatives to Gox, Bitstamp, BTC-E?  (Read 808 times)
freebird (OP)

Activity: 414
Merit: 250

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:39:19 AM

Hello fellow bitcoiners,

I've been trading bitcoin since April and am in at an average price of about $120 per coin. I've been reading this forum occasionally over the past few months but never had any reason to register to ask a question or enter into discussions. Now, since my investment has gone up in value so much already -- and I expect it to keep going up a LOT more in the coming months -- I'm getting more serious about making sure to protect my coins from possible theft or disappearance in shady online exchanges. I would appreciate some advice on this issue.

I currently hold coins on Bitstamp, Mt. Gox, BTC-E, and Coinbase. I've been gradually removing my coins from Gox, since they've had so many problems and I have a feeling that company could be shut down sooner or later, and everyone might end up losing all their coins that are there. My last withdrawal of a couple coins took more than a day and I had to open a support ticket before it actually went through. I've seen the horror stories in the Service Discussion forum of people's BTC withdrawals from Gox taking days and days. I wonder if at some point they might just stop processing any withdrawals, even coins?

I also want to remove most of my coins from BTC-E because it seems kind of sketchy (based in Russia, poor customer support, reports of people's coins randomly disappearing, etc.). I like it for trading, but it might be too risky to hold a lot of coins there.

Coinbase seems like the most legitimate operation by far (backed by millions in venture capital, America-based), but it's not really meant for trading. I only keep coins there that I want to just hold, not actively trade. So I'm trying to figure out where to put the rest of my Gox coins and BTC-E coins, in some place other than Bitstamp that's good for active trading -- since I don't want to hold all my coins for trading in just one exchange.

Does anybody have any thoughts on Bitfinex? What about Coinsetter? Any other good options? I figure the safest thing is to split most of my trading coins between Bitstamp and another reputable exchange (relatively speaking).

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks!

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 04:21:01 AM

Coinbase is great for moving to/from fiat, Bitstamp allows better trading.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
freebird (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:30:29 AM

mjc, thanks for your reply. In your experience, how long does it usually take to buy or sell on Coinbase, from the time when placing the order to the time when the order is filled?

I realize that Coinbase is not intended for active trading, but I'm thinking that it might be the best option for cashing out a part of my BTC position, whenever I'll eventually do that (probably not for quite a while though).

In the near term, I'm thinking of maybe investing more fiat into BTC. But with the way it's been going up fast lately, is there a risk that I'd place an order in Coinbase and then the order wouldn't get executed for a couple of days, and meanwhile the price would've gone way up? Do they give you the coins at the price when you clicked "buy" or the price at the time when the fiat actually arrives from the bank?

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240
Merit: 1001

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:45:12 AM

Where are you from?

If you are European: https://www.therocktrading.com
freebird (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:47:05 AM

rigel, thanks for your reply. However, I'm American.

Tally-ho Soy Sauce

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 05:35:48 AM

Vircurex
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: