Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:47:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More of a technical question regarding HDD space  (Read 234 times)
inv1s1bl3 (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 09:55:57 AM

Hello guys!
First of all, I would like to thank you all for taking the time to look at my thread.

Last weekend I made a complete new OS install on my rig, completely formatting the whole SSD and afterwards I ofc installed the OS again.
I have downloaded a couple of miners and just 1 wallet on my rig. I haven't been much in the net, just because I am kinda afraid of malware etc, so I am not really using the system besides mining.
Yesterday I wanted to check something and saw that I have only 6.5GB free on my hard drive. I tried to delete everything I found not usefull, tried to delete downloads, cache, temp files but I was only able to free 500MBs.
I scanned all folders I have on my C: drive and they are a lot less that 120GB - https://imgur.com/a/Qa5qk.
So the question is what exactly is going on with the storage? I haven't enabled bitlocker or some encrypting software.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 10:57:38 AM

I see you're using Windows, have you tried to run the Disk Cleanup utility? It will also look for hidden files & folders that are saved in temp folders.

For example, a lot of space is occupied by temp files used for the installation of the OS or other applications that are not removed afterwards. I often find it occupying my system:

Another thing is to always clear your Recycle Bin (Trash) because it also occupies space when not cleared.
inv1s1bl3 (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 11:08:34 AM

I did that from the start, managed to clear less than 300MB Cheesy Did not work for me... That's why I started the thread, just because I cannot find what's causing this issue. I have also restarted the PC a couple of time, in case something has caused a bug in the system, but still nada.
MinedTangerine

Activity: 308
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 11:28:07 AM

I did that from the start, managed to clear less than 300MB Cheesy Did not work for me... That's why I started the thread, just because I cannot find what's causing this issue. I have also restarted the PC a couple of time, in case something has caused a bug in the system, but still nada.

Run that: https://windirstat.net/

It will give you a very accurate picture of what is using your HDD space

SUQA - A new open source peer to peer digital currency
 (https://suqa.org/)
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 11:58:45 AM

Did you increase virtual memory/Pagefile? If yes, maybe you improve it too much, check it.

Another possible thing, which wallet you were installing at your rig? So we knew how much those coin Blockchain Size.
inv1s1bl3 (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 12:52:37 PM

Sumokoin, but I scanned the folder in the APPDATA hidden folder and it was not more than 200mb. When I get home I will run the website vlad, currently I am in the office and accessing my rig through TeamViewer, do not want something to get messed up and will update after I do it Smiley
Thank you all for the cooperation so far <3
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 01:23:16 PM

Ouw, CPU-based. I thought you are doing GPU mining. That's why I was asking about pagefile. So you didn't change pagefile value?

I have funny experience, my friend experience exactly. My friend increase pagefile almost 70% of available disc space (he think would be better), then the disc space has run-out. I tried to fix it, felt confused at first, then I'm laughing after. Cheesy
Midcrypto

Activity: 85

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2018, 02:04:29 PM

Hello guys!
First of all, I would like to thank you all for taking the time to look at my thread.

Last weekend I made a complete new OS install on my rig, completely formatting the whole SSD and afterwards I ofc installed the OS again.
I have downloaded a couple of miners and just 1 wallet on my rig. I haven't been much in the net, just because I am kinda afraid of malware etc, so I am not really using the system besides mining.
Yesterday I wanted to check something and saw that I have only 6.5GB free on my hard drive. I tried to delete everything I found not usefull, tried to delete downloads, cache, temp files but I was only able to free 500MBs.
I scanned all folders I have on my C: drive and they are a lot less that 120GB - https://imgur.com/a/Qa5qk.
So the question is what exactly is going on with the storage? I haven't enabled bitlocker or some encrypting software.

Do you have any core wallet software running? Blockchain data chews up space really quick.

Here is a free tool you can use to find what is using space.

http://www.sb-software.com/visdir/
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 02:25:11 PM

Windows System Restore will set aside several GB if enabled. Windows error logs can also eat up several GB's of space. If the driver ever crashes on my rigs it creats an error log over 1GB. I use CCleaner to delete all the temp and error log files. Ever with a 24GB space of Virtual Memory set, a Windows 10 install should use <64 GB.
rigproxy.com

Activity: 55

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 08:15:17 PM

This situation may happen due to multiple reasons, some of them have been mentioned in previous posts.
Filesystem goes sometime crazy and marks a small file as a big GB file (often solved with a simple disk scan).
Appdata, temp or win update directories going huge are also plausible causes.

Enable hidden and system files/directories visibility and try to find where the big files are located.
This is the only way you can find where the problem is coming from.
(At rigproxy, we have a free ipv4 dns service that blocks windows updates to prevent unwanted os and drivers update on windows).

Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 09:59:31 PM

Download a program called Windirstat and run it on your drive.  It will show you what is taking up space and exactly how much.  It displays it visually, not just numbers and file names.  It's a great tool for tracking down what is eating your space.

https://windirstat.net/
tg88
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1407

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 12:15:02 PM

Download a program called Windirstat and run it on your drive.  It will show you what is taking up space and exactly how much.  It displays it visually, not just numbers and file names.  It's a great tool for tracking down what is eating your space.

https://windirstat.net/

I recommend this software, it is excellent.
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 01:25:20 PM

Where is OP?

I was always checking every thread that I have posted on it and again find this thread. So, are you fix it OP?. Give us an update, what you have done to fix it (if you has fixed it), so when we got the same problem we have another option to fix it. Which suggestion above that was fixing your problem (including mine  Wink ), or may you have your own way to fix it?.
inv1s1bl3 (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 02:50:30 PM

Hey guys, thanks again for the help!
I have been occupied with some personal issues, that's why I have not been so active.
I downloaded the windirstat program and it seems I have a file named pagefile.sys, which takes around 78 gigs of space.
Should I delete the mf-ker or is that a windows file?
inv1s1bl3 (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 02:55:54 PM

Seems like I cannot delete the file btw, here's a screenshot of the error message :
https://imgur.com/a/aS079
What to do? Can anyone advise something?
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 03:57:24 PM
Merited by suchmoon (1)

Seems like I cannot delete the file btw, here's a screenshot of the error message :
https://imgur.com/a/aS079
What to do? Can anyone advise something?

Its a windows system file, you cannot delete it while Windows is running. You need to go into the settings and make it smaller.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/increase-page-file-size-virtual-memory-windows

Follow these instructions but when you uncheck the auto box, make sure you set the pagefile to 16gb and you will be good to go.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 05:49:10 PM

Hey guys, thanks again for the help!
I have been occupied with some personal issues, that's why I have not been so active.
I downloaded the windirstat program and it seems I have a file named pagefile.sys, which takes around 78 gigs of space.
Should I delete the mf-ker or is that a windows file?

Ah... I told you above, twice I think.

Did you increase virtual memory/Pagefile? If yes, maybe you improve it too much, check it.
Another possible thing, which wallet you were installing at your rig? So we knew how much those coin Blockchain Size.

Ouw, CPU-based. I thought you are doing GPU mining. That's why I was asking about pagefile. So you didn't change pagefile value?

I have funny experience, my friend experience exactly. My friend increase pagefile almost 70% of available disc space (he think would be better), then the disc space has run-out. I tried to fix it, felt confused at first, then I'm laughing after. Cheesy

Seem like fanatic26 has giving you a good direction to how to decrease pagefile. Now you can follow that for solving your issue. Don't forget to lock this thread when you finished. Good luck!
berytry

Activity: 280
Merit: 18

@berytry

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 06:43:55 PM

you can use system restore. it will restore the whole data back to default. Do not forget also to defragment your SSD. defragment is very useful for the health of SSD / HDD
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 08:33:06 PM

you can use system restore. it will restore the whole data back to default. Do not forget also to defragment your SSD. defragment is very useful for the health of SSD / HDD

Actually you do NOT want to defrag your SSD.

https://www.pcgamer.com/should-i-defrag-my-ssd/

TLDR; SSDs have a limited lifetime of writes to each nand cell. All a defrag does is move things around and eat away at the life of the disk. As the memory is not laid out on platters like conventional hard drives there is no benefit to reorganizing the data via a defragmentation program.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
inv1s1bl3 (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 09:14:04 AM

Geraldo, fanatic26 and all of you, who were involved with my problem - thank you very much for the support! I managed to fix the issue by exactly decreasing my virtual memory! Now I've got 50 gigs left! Thank you very much and sorry I haven't been much around, because I had to take some time off due to some personal stuff!
Wish you guys all the best!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: