Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:47:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-E.com holding coins hostage? [RESOLVED]  (Read 2129 times)
despected (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:41:52 AM
Last edit: November 13, 2013, 06:08:28 PM by despected

I'm not sure what to call this so I am going to let you decide.

April 1st, Bitcoin hits $100 for the first time, Litecoin hits $1 for the first time. I am ecstatic, I tell my dad about the money I have made and everything is wonderful. Two days later I get a call from my Dad's boss, he wants to invest into Bitcoins!

Fast forward two weeks I walk him through creating a Bitstamp account, and how to wire the information ect. as soon as the money arrived the next day  he is at our house, money ready to invest. I tell him about alternatives to BTC and he says hes interested, how does he get involved in that? I tell him about BTC-e so we transferred his money there, I reformatted an old laptop of his, we created a new e-mail address only for Bitcoins and a BTC-e account. I told him to make them something he will remember no matter what and to make his password different from what he usually uses but to write it down, he writes it down, tells me to take a picture of his BTC-e and e-mail address password and keep it somewhere safe.

He start with $9,000-10,000 USD after transferring the btc at a slight loss, and I give him my personal advice of sticking with BTC and LTC, and hes on his way. Trollbox well trolled him and he put about 20% in what he deemed to be the top 5 coins. BTC, LTC, TRC, PPC, and of course CNC. He makes about $1000, everyday he would call me and we would talk about "CNC", "Chuck Norris Coin", and my personal favorite "CNN"and then the crash happened. He ended up with about $3500 after the crash and I convinced him to go all into LTC. He had a total of 2081 LTC according to him, which continued to go down in value to a bottom of about $2200 over the course of the next 5 months or so, and he must have wrote it off because after the crash I heard almost nothing from him. As all of you know, there was a recent jump in value on BTC and LTC after a BTC crash when news of DPR's arrest hit the papers. When LTC climbed about 30% I got a call from guess who? My Dad's boss. "Heyyy whats up man? Do you see these prices? My God!.... hey, so whats my login information?". I at this point am told that it was my responsibility to have his account information readily available for him. We get into an argument about how this is not my problem, but it is because obviously he is my Dad's boss. I look everywhere, my USB sticks, external drives and I can not find anything useful, where did his account information go, he didn't have it either, he cleared his cache (I reformatted) and I had no idea what to do.  I was on the phone with him breaking the bad news and he asked me if maybe I have it on my phone, I looked through there and there was nothing. I remembered at that moment that I had a hidden folder where I keep my bank details and important documents and there it was! Awesome, hes as ecstatic I was a few months ago.

Not really, he only wrote down the passwords for his e-mail address and BTC-e account on the paper for the image I took. I tell him not to worry im sure he will come up soon. I plea my case to the Trollbox and got some insightful advice that helped but did not work. I was referred to a website called "trollboxarchive.com", it really is fontas-tic! I worked with him in having him tell me what he remembers typing, this was a hard feat because he does not type the same way I do, and I start naming off a bunch of accounts that said similar things in that time frame. Nothing rings a bell, so a few days later he calls me and says he remembers what his BTC-e account name is, its "Silverbullet" and hes positive, I look it up on Trollboxarchive and he says he recognizes the things that were said on there. I contact BTC-e support on Skype. I plea my case and within 10 minutes they release the e-mail address to the account "Silverbullet" to me with vague information I provided like "What deposit method did you use" "When did you create the account" ect which I answered in April 2013 and I deposited using BTC. The e-mail address provided was German, (ends in .de). I tell them this is a mistake, the e-mail address I have was a from Gmail and I would message them later with the real account name.

We did another session of looking through the trollboxarchive and his girlfriend who was there when we created the account says it had something to do with my dog, I search my dogs name and scroll down to chat from 6 months ago, and there it was. Account name "coconetwork", I had a laugh reading through his chat logs and I am sure you will too, just search for coconetwork on Trollboxarchive. I contact BTC-e on Skype and plea my case, I get no response for days, finally I get a response with a link to the BTC-e.com support http://hdbtce.kayako.com and nothing else. This is where it gets tricky, I am not sure if at this point they have decided to keep my e-mail hostage because they think I am a hacker trying to steal coins, or because they realize that they are my last chance of getting his e-mail address back and the support decided to pocket the coins, the reason I think this is because of the lack of responsiveness, being ignored and the rest you can see in this ticket, will provide the Skype chat logs tomorrow.

TLDR; I have all of my account information (password, coin addresses, account name, date of creation, address where coins came from, amount of coins on the account) except for my e-mail address but they won't help me, and I fear they have been compromised by BTC-e.com support staff. I feel this is the step necessary to get the attention needed from them in regards to getting my account and coins back, while at the same time taking responsbility for my carelessness for losing the damn e-mail address.

Thanks, please bring this to the attention of BTC-e support with me!

P.S. sorry for the bad typing writing this from my phone

EDIT: Support resolved this for me, thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 05:02:21 AM

How many e-mail addresses does this guy use?!?
Edit: check with your old iSP, though when I did that with Yahoo! the answer from the old ISP was "no, that user-name was re-used."

The safest way to hold coins is cold-storage on a piece of paper -- in two (or more) distinct locations.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
despected (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 05:04:35 AM

He has his personal one and the one he uses for BTC which he didn't touch for months up until this recent rise in value.
phillipsjk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 05:08:02 AM

Your dad's boss should really be managing his own Bitcoin.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
despected (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 05:12:02 AM

I agree with this but at this point in time this is the only chance he has at recovering his e-mail address/coins as far as I am aware.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 05:42:03 AM

That's just strange. They need professional support not crap like that.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
phillipsjk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 05:46:50 AM

They have those rules in place to prevent social engineering.

People would be irate if two-factor authentication could be side-stepped with a story such as this.

OP: even if you know the e-mail address, how are you going to log in without the password? BTC-E seems to recommend G-mail if that helps at all. Edit: I see that info is in the chat-log.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 05:57:21 AM

I could just hit them with the same story though.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Tally-ho Soy Sauce

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:03:24 AM

look what btc-e did to me

Uncommitted transactions:

+0.077 BTC, 0 confirmations, 11:22 12.09.13

Just coped that today, look at the date -.- 26 dollars gone as of today.
despected (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 02:27:04 PM

To clarify, I have all of the information except for the e-mail address. I am not asking them for passwords or anything of the sort, willing to provide identification however I am not sure if we used his real name on the account.
Moebius327

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:01:00 PM

Haha troll support staff.  Grin

done

yes

despected (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:31:43 PM

If you guys have noticed, the first legible response was by a different support staff, then every message after that has been by Support Staff -na-
Moebius327

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:52:50 PM

If you guys have noticed, the first legible response was by a different support staff, then every message after that has been by Support Staff -na-

It is indeed possible that the staff-guy stole his coins.
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:55:07 PM

It is indeed possible that the staff-guy stole his coins.

Oh. Op, you need to get in contact with the owner. Maybe at this forum. ASAP.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
despected (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:59:36 PM

How would I go about doing that?
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:02:09 PM

Take a look at their thread here at the forums. The OP of that thread is the owner ( I think). Send him a private message.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Moebius327

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:02:37 PM

Well you could at least post this to the right forum section.
PM btc-e on bitcointalk.
Also try reddit.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 08:36:49 PM

Take a look at their thread here at the forums. The OP of that thread is the owner ( I think). Send him a private message.
That's the solution most of the time. If you can contact him.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
despected (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 10:39:55 PM

Have contacted btc-e.com on here, no response yet. Will let you guys know what happens.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 10:49:23 PM

Provide replies too.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print