Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:04:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any way to retrieve bitcoins through a paper wallet?  (Read 2988 times)
spookycloud (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:33:53 AM

So I created a paper wallet through bitaddress.org
I wanted to check to make sure it worked so I tried to upload the private key to blockchain.info and it says "that address does not exist".
However I added 6 Bitcoins into the public address and it is still sitting there..is there anyway I can get my coins back or did I just lost $2000 worth of coins?
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:35:02 AM

What is the exact timeline of your actions? What did you do first? And how long did you wait?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Ruzka

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:36:59 AM

Wow if for some reason you can't access it that would suck :/. But yeah without more info I can be of no help.

spookycloud (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:40:19 AM

After I printed out the piece of paper I went to fund it after about 10 minutes.
I went to bitaddress.org then switched off my wifi connection and generated 3 codes and printed out the 4th one, then about 10 minutes later I went to fund it with 6 BTC using the public address.
But know for some reason blockchain is telling me the private key is invalid?
Siegfried

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:46:06 AM

So I created a paper wallet through bitaddress.org
I wanted to check to make sure it worked so I tried to upload the private key to blockchain.info and it says "that address does not exist".
However I added 6 Bitcoins into the public address and it is still sitting there..is there anyway I can get my coins back or did I just lost $2000 worth of coins?

You should have tested this method with a smaller amount first.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:52:13 AM

Most likely you just pressed the wrong button on blockchain.info, make sure you're using the correct feature.

You can also try importing the key into bitcoin-qt.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:55:21 AM

After I printed out the piece of paper I went to fund it after about 10 minutes.
I went to bitaddress.org then switched off my wifi connection and generated 3 codes and printed out the 4th one, then about 10 minutes later I went to fund it with 6 BTC using the public address.
How long did you wait between these last two steps? Did you confirm that the bitcoins were send to the public address? How many confirmations do they have?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
dego

Activity: 399

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:07:04 AM

It maybe just said that this address did not exist yet, which would be correct. Did you cancel the key import?
Just try again to import your private key.

You could also go and install a client like multibit, which is pretty fast getting the blockchain. Then import your private key there.

Any typos maybe? Upon transaction of the coins or the import of the key? Did you check if your address carries the funds?
spookycloud (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:09:44 AM

How long did you wait between these last two steps? Did you confirm that the bitcoins were send to the public address? How many confirmations do they have?

It has been a few hours since then and last time I looked there was 13 confirmations on the public address.
I should add when I go to bitaddress.org and into wallet details I enter the private key and it shows not found so that is what has me worried.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:15:31 AM

Also, check if your key begins with a number 5, or a letter L or letter K.

blockchain.info may not accept compressed keys yet. So maybe that's why it think it's invalid.

sushi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:17:50 AM

Hope you can get it back...

the coin should be just sitting there waiting for you!

Make sure there was no typo in the key!  Last year, I got panicked when I didn't realized my fat finger was pressing the key next to the correct one

>>> PM me for New ASIC Miner's Info.  We will go check it out <<<
FEEL GENEROUS TODAY?  ==> 1AHNusc3BQA2QJCokySAQ1Qtymr1ZyAG6P
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:28:06 AM

Have you checked your address on blockchain to verify its balance? Which balance does it show? 6? zero? Can you tell us the address?
I used several time your same scheme and I never had any problem..

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
inform

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 07:35:55 AM

i think beter virtual copy in this situation

but any way

summer 2013 i lost 4 or 5 wallet

btc/ltc this big proublum

i rusian but i understand situation  Roll Eyes
sushi

Activity: 238

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:37:33 AM

Instead of typing your private key, use the smartphone and scan it, if you are mistyping the key, auto scan will pickup the right key from the barcode!

Any luck yet?

>>> PM me for New ASIC Miner's Info.  We will go check it out <<<
FEEL GENEROUS TODAY?  ==> 1AHNusc3BQA2QJCokySAQ1Qtymr1ZyAG6P
asc366

Activity: 36

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 07:39:00 AM

Did you encrypt the privkey with bip38?
spookycloud (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:04:26 AM

Ok so after several hours paniking not sure what happened but I was finally able to get the private key to work and yes I used a bip38.
I was using my computers webcam and kept getting an error of no private key found on the QR code, so what I did was just kept on retyping the code and after several times it finally went through and I entered my passphrase.
Anyhow I do not know if I can put my trust into these paper wallets at this time just seems so risky for the generator to provide a false private key I will have to test these wallets out more in the future.
Thanks for the help guys.
philip2000uk

Activity: 276

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 08:15:20 AM

Ok so after several hours paniking not sure what happened but I was finally able to get the private key to work and yes I used a bip38.
I was using my computers webcam and kept getting an error of no private key found on the QR code, so what I did was just kept on retyping the code and after several times it finally went through and I entered my passphrase.
Anyhow I do not know if I can put my trust into these paper wallets at this time just seems so risky for the generator to provide a false private key I will have to test these wallets out more in the future.
Thanks for the help guys.
Download the qt wallet and it'll create the private key, it's just that you won't be able to see the private.  Then encrypt the wallet via the button on there.
Then make a backup of that wallet after encrypting.

Leather girls identity film2 on youtube and website link i accept bitcoin Smiley
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 11:52:35 AM

That's not a paper wallet. If you are going to use QT to make paper wallets, do it completely offline, delete the wallet.dat (after making a backup) and have it generate keys. Then use dumpprivkey or pywallet to extract them.

bitaddress and vanitygen work fine though, I've had no problems with them as long as I didn't do any encrypting. I even got vanitygen working with some alt-coins.

theecoinomist

Activity: 200

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:45:10 AM

blockchain.info may not accept compressed keys yet. So maybe that's why it think it's invalid.

I just swept a private key to Blockchain starting with 5K, also says all formats are supported in the import/export section.

Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:47:30 AM

I just swept a private key to Blockchain starting with 5K, also says all formats are supported in the import/export section.

Try importing a private key that starts with a K or L. Here, I'll use an example:

L1TU3ksw7CmMbT3JsVnSbCRUM7siEuUvo45ee9BjjMeCYYDtdiQA
Kyoy4Ji5yJqYXaohP6j9CD61YxZp7KrD3ps2N53PtrXdvTN6Pc6j
KxxHV1fNHUt9TB5rf3oag2kSkFowgqwXdZ23zPEzicRvQMxFs9K7

I just generated those from bitaddress.org

Keys that start with 5, including 5K are uncompressed keys.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: