Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:59:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW Image Upload System?  (Read 140 times)
vilello (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 02:34:50 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2018, 02:52:41 PM by vilello

Have you ever thought that uploading pictures on this forum is very inconvenient. You must first upload images on the site like imgur, or etc. It's the only thing that makes people in this forum rarely upload pictures. Why is not this forum uploaded an image upload system directly connected to your computer file? Would not it be easier.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2018, 04:38:30 PM

Have you ever thought that uploading pictures on this forum is very inconvenient. You must first upload images on the site like imgur, or etc. It's the only thing that makes people in this forum rarely upload pictures. Why is not this forum uploaded an image upload system directly connected to your computer file? Would not it be easier.
Probably because:

• The servers would be heavily loaded if all the images are directly uploaded to bitcointalk.

• Imgur or any other website would reduce the load of images on bitcointalk because the file would be saved on their server and not on bitcointalk's.

• And I believe you cannot directly upload images just like that,as the forum uses BB code,so even if you have to upload a image directly from your computer to bitcointalk,you would have to use your own computer's source path then it gets stored on bitcointalk's server,its sort of a messed up thing to explain.

The current "Image system" is fine. Change is not required,atleast not now. But maybe something more "simple" in the new forum?

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2018, 06:06:58 PM

It's good as it is. It reduces the number of useless images that clog up the threads.

Besides, doesn't everybody who is anybody on the net have their own domain and hosting plan? Using your own hosting allows you to look at post viewing stats.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
IsuruMaduranga

Activity: 182
Merit: 7

Block chain enthusiast

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 06:26:24 PM

• The servers would be heavily loaded if all the images are directly uploaded to bitcointalk.

• Imgur or any other website would reduce the load of images on bitcointalk because the file would be saved on their server and not on bitcointalk's.

• And I believe you cannot directly upload images just like that,as the forum uses BB code,so even if you have to upload a image directly from your computer to bitcointalk,you would have to use your own computer's source path then it gets stored on bitcointalk's server,its sort of a messed up thing to explain.

Agree.

Current system is very fine. Don't bother too much about it as a newbie. Newbies cannot post images.
If image uploading was that much easy this forum would be filled with lots of unwanted images and gifs. The forum is already filled with spam posts. Making spamming easy is not a good idea.
This is a forum not a social media.

☆ FLUX ☆
GAMING ECOSYSTEM
17 - 24 April Public Sale
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 06:31:19 PM

Anytime the forum allows for files to be uploaded to the server, there is the risk something malicious is in the file. You can take certain steps to protect against this, however the broader the scope of what you allow to be uploaded, the most difficult it is to implement sufficient countermeasures.

This is not a hypothetical, the forum was previously hacked via the avatar upload system in 2013 (?), went undiscovered for many months, and when this was discovered, uploading avatars was disabled for years. 
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2018, 07:51:23 PM

I'm fine with current situation. I think now it's pretty simple to upload images and I don't think that people rarely posting images. And bitcointalk aren't Instagram, Flick or something similar and we don't need for many images there.
Besides, doesn't everybody who is anybody on the net have their own domain and hosting plan? Using your own hosting allows you to look at post viewing stats.
Why I would need to upload images on my limited hosting storage when I can upload it to services like Imgur without any limits?

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16550

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2018, 08:58:09 PM

Probably because:

The forum acts as a proxy for embedded images, so the server load won't increase if BCT would host all images. It could even decrease as it doesn't need to be downloaded by the server every time.

I think Jet Cash is on the right track though:
It's good as it is. It reduces the number of useless images that clog up the threads.
The forum wouldn't get better if it becomes too easy to add many pictures to posts. Now imagine seeing all kinds of different smileys and memes all the time, it won't improve the forum.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2018, 11:15:14 PM

The forum acts as a proxy for embedded images, so the server load won't increase if BCT would host all images. It could even decrease as it doesn't need to be downloaded by the server every time.
I remember theymos saying that bitcointalk has a image proxy here,but I forgot about it when I wrote that post. So thanks for correcting me,a very few people do that,but nonetheless.
The forum wouldn't get better if it becomes too easy to add many pictures to posts. Now imagine seeing all kinds of different smileys and memes all the time, it won't improve the forum.
This would be a nightmare. Spamming would actually go to a next level.
But bitch you ain't gonna get merit for that.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: