Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:23:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help, Techies, please. Simple stuff, really. Bitcoin Wallet Ubuntu  (Read 1016 times)
bitrebel (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 09:58:54 AM

I just posted a thread questioning the safety of installing Ubuntu on a windows 7, with the split boot option. I went ahead and did this on a brand new laptop. It installed the operating system completely separately so I have no major worries so far, so good.
   But now i'm onto the next step. I installed bitcoin client and ran it in the "recommended" 32 bit. (not sure if this was the best idea, but i'm inexperienced so I start with easier basics first.) Should I have installed in 64 bit instead? Now that I have a few bitcoins in the computer and have downloaded the blockchain, should should I even bother to change things? That's question #1
   Question #2 is, There is no wallet file that I can find. Is the wallet in Linux called something different, and if not, where exactly should I be able to locate it? In order to be safest, I would like to back up my wallet to a flash drive, doing so, how much space should I need on my flash drive to start with, and what files should I save, or rather, how exactly should the save be done? Complete tar file that I downloaded? Somewhere else on the drive, a file for the wallet? I'm kind of lost here if anyone could help, it would be most appreciated. I just want my wallet file to be safe, and looking for the best solutions, but i'm not sure there is a wallet file here to begin with. Maybe it's just in windows? Maybe I do not know where to look?
Thanks folks.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 10:04:54 AM

#1 don't bother, it does not matter much anyway.
#2 its in ~/.bitcoin/ thats a hidden directory (the "."). press Ctrl+H and you will see hidden files in nautilus(the default filesystem navigator). the "~" means that its in your home directory("~" = /home/<username>/)

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
bitrebel (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 10:08:53 AM

#2 its in ~/.bitcoin/ thats a hidden directory (the "."). press Ctrl+H and you will see hidden files in nautilus(the default filesystem navigator). the "~" means that its in your home directory("~" = /home/<username>/)

Thanks kokjo, I'm hitting the pillow now, but in the morning i'll look into it, and see what I can do with this new info. Thanks a bunch!

Is the wallet file the only one I need to backup and save?

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 10:10:36 AM

Thanks kokjo, I'm hitting the pillow now, but in the morning i'll look into it, and see what I can do with this new info. Thanks a bunch!

Is the wallet file the only one I need to backup and save?

yes. but you need to shutdown the bitcoin client before you copy it. or else you migth end up with a corrupt backup wallet.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: