Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:32:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is no anonimity a clue for getting mainstream?  (Read 846 times)
Narydu (OP)
Donator

Activity: 743
Merit: 510

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 12:34:42 PM

Discussion about anonimity: I understand that an enormous part of this actual comunity wants an untraceable paying method as to do what ever they want with no govern intervention, but at mainstreem merchants need real profiles and consumers cares not about using a traceable paying system. Press media fills it's mouth talking of this traceability as a flaw but i believe its must be seeas an oportunity of aceptance by consumers, merchants and laws. I believe that keep talking about anonimity will turn this currency only into a black market users atention.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 01:07:31 PM

I understand that an enormous part of this actual comunity wants an untraceable paying method

I'm ok with 'less traceable' and I suspect the general public will like where bitcoin fits in too.. 
ie It's traceability lies somewhere in between that of cash and creditcards.

That a government can use sophisticated correlation methods combined with a few subpoenas and cooperation with other governments, ISPs and bitcoin intermediaries to eventually track down the worst cases is probably going to be seen by many as a good thing.

Unless what you're doing is so serious that it warrants a decent amount of government resources to investigate - then the existing level of anonymity available is probably just fine for the average privacy-conscious individual.

It does seem that the media picks up on the semi-anonymity as if that's a flaw. That is probably because there have been many lazy descriptions of bitcoin as 'completely anonymous', even by community members who should know better.

It's plausible, but I'm not convinced that 'an enormous part of this actual community wants an untraceable paying method'.
When/if large bitcoin service providers (such as mybitcoin.com?) disappear with community members bitcoins - I bet many will be happy for there to be some trail for law enforcement to follow.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: