Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:06:37 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Just Fork It - Feathercoin Weekly News #8  (Read 3335 times)
ChrisJ (OP)

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:59:49 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2013, 04:23:29 PM by ChrisJ

Feathercoin Official Weekly Update #8
Tuesday 12th November 2013

Just Fork It

Feathercoin Key Stats
209 days since genesis block creation
Approx. 22,400,000 Feathercoins created
Approx. 13.95 days behind target generation rate

Due to the hectic nature of the last 7 days we are going to dive straight in...

Feathercoin Coming to Bittylicious
Before we go in to the Amsterdam meetup I would like to announce that Bittylicious have now begun testing Feathercoin transactions ready for a Christmas rollout. You may remember from Weekly News #2 that we met with the founder Marc Warne at the London Bitcoin Meetup.

Bittylicious gives people a delightful way to buy Bitcoins in a simple step by step process

I cannot stress enough the importance of design driven products in this space. It's not just what you do it's the way you do it and if crypto currencies are going to reach mainstream adoption then this is vital to their success. I think you will agree that Marc has done a great job at keeping the process of buying Bitcoins not just simple but delightful and that's the experience we want for our first time adopters.

There will be an opportunity for you to become a seller of your Feathercoins using Marc's site so please contact me or Ruth on the forum if you want to get involved.

More than 600 Attend and View Our #BTCAmsterdam Conference - Special Report
If you don't like the way things are being done all you have to do is pick up a spade and do it yourself. Just Fork It! Last week we had a real blast in Amsterdam at our own Conference. That's right, Feathercoin forked the Amsterdam Bitcoin Conference after the previous arrangement fell through which led to many disappointed speakers and attendees who were left out of pocket.

Team Feathercoin on the tarmac at Amsterdam Airport welcomed by adoring fans EasyJet customers awaiting the next flight

The conference was arranged by only a handful of people at the last minute with barely three days to go. Thanks must be paid to Richard at PikaPay and Knowmads Business School who were the real heroes and Yes experts. We asked "Can we have food?" they said "Yes!". We asked "can we have a live webstream, with pro sound recording, PA system and some HD video?" they said "oh, Yes!".

Over 600 people attended either virtually on livestream or in person over the course of 3 days

We plan to make good use of the recordings from the event so watch this space!

This is Appa, our sound man who went around the audience taking their comments for the recording.

Appa was brought in last minute and showed up each day to make sure the sound was working and the mics recorded in top quality audio.

Paloma selling her healthy Energy Balls to our guests at the event.
Next to her one of our Yes Doctors from Knowmads Johannes who was a superb host and we couldn't have done it without him

Knowmads also laid on food and drink available for Bitcoins... and fiat as well.

Educating merchant about the virtues of crypto currencies outside Amsterdam Central, a tourist hotspot

We also did plenty of merchant patrol, visiting both Bitcoin friendly shops as well as those we thought would be perfect for a global currency such as a restaurant who service tourists.

And then this happened:

BIPS.me to Introduce Alt Coin Support

Kris Henriksen from Bitcoin payment processor BIPS.me announces on stage that they will be implementing alt coin support in the coming months

We were pleasantly surprised to hear an announcement, live on stage, by Kris Henriksen who flew in from Denmark and told us that BIPS.me were planning on implementing Feathercoin and other popular crypto currencies on to their platform. This means soon merchants will be able to accept Feathercoins and convert them directly in to fiat making smaller alt currencies like ours a much more attractive proposition for merchants.

When I asked Kris if BIPS were planning on accepting Feathercoin (seek 40 mins approx) I really wasn't expecting him to say 'yes'. I just asked it as a kind of cheeky question. We spoke during the break and he told me that their plans are to roll out in the next few months so I wouldn't expect it this side of Christmas but we are staying in contact with the guys over in Denmark and they can expect the same 5 star treatment we give to all our 3rd party developers and merchants.

TL;DR - Communities Always Win

Not everyone is going to make it. The next few months threatens to reveal a sharp rise in the Bitcoin price which could result in many alts dying out through lack of enthusiasm on the part of their communities. But yet again, we received recognition from a big player in this space Jon Matonis head of the Bitcoin Foundation.

That's not down to luck, that's down to hard work.

Because we're not a community that likes to sit back waiting to get rich. As more people sign up to our map, more products are sold on the market place and as we grow our merchant adoption widely our hope is to create a virtuous spiral where people want Feathercoins so that they can spend them and merchants accept Feathercoins so that they can earn them.

As Richard from Pikapay said during the conference "Communities always win".

You can find last week's newsletter here: Hopium for the Masses. Today special thanks go to @Ruthie for her contributions to this newsletter.

You can follow us on Twitter @Feathercoin to stay up to date.

Thank-you for your time.

I want to make the world better than I found it
ChrisJ (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:13:07 PM

This was also posted to the Feathercoin Forum.

tuneman1980

Activity: 228

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 04:15:06 PM

Wow, two big surprises this week.  As always, thanks for the hard work.

http://cryptocoinstats.com/

BTC: 19YQqtEdtuWhT6nk6ArBgMTiKMEjoJ5eww  LTC: Li1RLpZm8Rx7txSnQdvZvtLMsd4XDN2vMJ  FTC: 6qAU4vtyf9LPW4yV4m4Vx1jm4ZkXJHTFP7
ChekaZ
Legendary

Activity: 1884
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:38:17 PM

Amazing writeup again Chris, I've watched the whole confernce and it was awesome! Its great to hear that merchants think about altcoins especially Feathercoin. Great!

BTC: 1Ges1taJ69W7eEMbQLcmNGnUZenBkCnn45
FTC: 6sxjM96KMZ7t4AmDTUKDZdq82Nj931VQvY
svennand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 10:11:48 PM

Awesome Chris! im so glad we have you on board our ship! Smiley
The comunity owes you a great deal of gratitude

Did you pay out of your own pocket for the trip?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 11:10:47 PM

Good read. Keep it up.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Hiroaki

Activity: 404
Merit: 270

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:44:55 AM

Thanks a lot to all of you for this conference ! Smiley

It was nice to meet the people behind feathercoin !

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:58:52 AM

Brilliant work on this! Cheesy
adoalli

Activity: 646
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:25:32 AM

Keep it up

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 04:59:13 AM

"Just Fork It", this is so good  Cheesy

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Ruthie

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:29:28 AM

Cheesy - Glad you like it.

Thanks for tuning in all Smiley
ChrisJ (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:59:48 AM

It was £1,700 for Ruth, Bush and me including catering etc.

ChrisJ (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:55:02 PM

Thank-you for your kind words and the title was Ruth's idea  Smiley

svennand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:26:28 PM

Shocked

Now that whats i call devotion. and here i go around trying to get donations to get my lazy ass over to england again.
Kinda feel guilty now Wink
ChrisJ (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:28:20 PM

Shocked

Now that whats i call devotion. and here i go around trying to get donations to get my lazy ass over to england again.
Kinda feel guilty now Wink

I don't have kids remember and I am also very miserly when it comes to my living costs. It really comes down to individual needs and capabilities. I got a lot out of the experience, it's enough for me.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 02:36:55 PM

Thank-you for your kind words and the title was Ruth's idea  Smiley
Very nice. Can't wait for the next one.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)