Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:08:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What its actually doing  (Read 10919 times)
Lord Jebe (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2010, 12:18:26 AM

Sup, Im new to Bitcoin, I just downloaded the program a minute ago. I am quite suspicious on stuff on the internets, so dont wonder if my attitude is very "suspicioulish".

I have read all the "How to start" and the usual, and I understand its a P2P software, but I havent gotten any information on why the heck is it using my CPU so much. "Computational problems" isn't the most informative answer (P2P program is supposed to use only your internets connection, not your processor), so, I am asking here: why in the name of Chuck Norris Bitcoin is using my CPU so much? What is it actually doing?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lachesis

Activity: 210
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 14, 2010, 12:30:27 AM

Please read the FAQ and the design paper again and come back when you have.

Bitcoin Calculator | Scallion | GPG Key | WoT Rating | 1QGacAtYA7E8V3BAiM7sgvLg7PZHk5WnYc
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
July 14, 2010, 12:39:20 AM

What is it actually doing?
Simple answer because it's 2:38am here:
hashing

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
Lord Jebe (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2010, 12:52:11 AM

Please read the FAQ and the design paper again and come back when you have.
Right. I agree, I didnt read all of the "How to & What now" stuff, but I did not find my answer in the readme or FAQ. I had to go to the really-nerdy-looking-and-sounding-paper and read myself through.

Anyways, thanks for the help.
Mira

View Profile
July 14, 2010, 12:59:27 AM

"Computational problems" isn't the most informative answer (P2P program is supposed to use only your internets connection, not your processor), so, I am asking here: why in the name of Chuck Norris Bitcoin is using my CPU so much? What is it actually doing?

P2P programs don't have to be bandwidth limited. It just happens that the majority of widely deployed P2P networks do file transfers and are limited by your connection speed.

The computation work to data transferred is more like distributed computing projects like SETI@Home or Folding@Home rather than file transfer.

Suffice it to say that it is verifying transactions and cryptography strength hashes are computationally expensive, and this is good for the value of a bitcoin. For further detail, again, see the paper or the source code.
Lord Jebe (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2010, 01:51:50 AM

I am getting a hang here, but now I am wondering the next thing: When you launch Bitcoin, it heavily uses the CPU, but after a while, all I am hearing is my hard drive, and my CPU is at idle. I understand its gathering the hash for the blocks, but why is it raping my CPU at the startup, if its only supposed to gather data, process it and send it on?
Xunie

Activity: 132
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 14, 2010, 03:08:35 AM

Since I like your picture so damn much, let me explain it to you. (+1 internet for you, sir!)

You probably have the "Generate Bitcoins" option enabled under "Settings".
This will cause Bitcoin to use your CPU to hash.
Once it hashed what it was looking for? You generated a block!
If the outcome of the hash is lower than or equal to "the target", the data that was hashed is a block. Not sure about what exactly is the block, but I'm sure about the other stuff!

So, your CPU is hashing data to generate blocks, and blocks are Bitcoins!

More information here:
http://www.bitcoin.org/wiki/doku.php?id=hash
http://www.bitcoin.org/wiki/doku.php?id=block
http://www.bitcoin.org/wiki/doku.php?id=target

Also: Sorry for letting you hang there, I had the tab open and everything typed out, I just never clicked "post!".

Ignore this: 734d417914faa443d74e8205f639dfb0f79fdc44988ecae44db31e5636525afe

Caffeinism -- a toxic condition caused by excessive ingestion of coffee and other caffeine-containing beverage.
Lord Jebe (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2010, 04:15:17 AM

Since I like your picture so damn much, let me explain it to you. (+1 internet for you, sir!)

If the outcome of the hash is lower than or equal to "the target", the data that was hashed is a block. Not sure about what exactly is the block, but I'm sure about the other stuff!

OK, maybe one day I will really understand what it is doing, but for now, Ill just consider it as usage of electricity turned into money (roughly said).
Thank you for your help!
Anonymous

July 14, 2010, 05:03:15 AM

Ebaums is thrashing you hard drive  Wink
Xunie

Activity: 132
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 14, 2010, 12:49:17 PM

OK, maybe one day I will really understand what it is doing, but for now, Ill just consider it as usage of electricity turned into money (roughly said).
Thank you for your help!

A "hash" is basically a fingerprint of a piece of data. ("To hash" is the verb, obviously.)
Anyhow, what ever you hash is basically like generating a fingerprint, they're fixed size and if you change one character, remove it or even something else, you get a completely different hash!
If you hash "Hello, I'm Lord Jebe!" with SHA-256, you get "634ee5cd0971419655d8c61a93ecba406c8105b026afd6cf588a41503919fbd9".
If you hash "Helo, I'm Lord Jebe!" (notice the typo), you get "82d90c440807866e3c01400223c466f8520b9e36fb4538c2ebeeb18cdecc71ec".
Notice how the two hashes are totally different, this is natural and not predictive.

There are different hashing methods out there, MD (Message Digest) 1/2/5 which are getting quite outdated, and SHA-256/512.
SHA-256 is what Bitcoin uses right now.

Now there's there's a 'target' set on the network, that target determines how difficult it is to generate blocks.
If you hash some random data (which Bitcoin) does, and you generate a hash/fingerprint lower or equal than the target, you have generated a block!

tl;dr: So, it's really not that hard, it's just generating a fingerprint from random data, if the finger print matches what the network's looking for, you got yourself a block, and thus generated some coins!

Ignore this: 734d417914faa443d74e8205f639dfb0f79fdc44988ecae44db31e5636525afe

Caffeinism -- a toxic condition caused by excessive ingestion of coffee and other caffeine-containing beverage.
Donotfoolme

Activity: 115
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 08, 2018, 09:34:31 AM

More information here:
http://www.bitcoin.org/wiki/doku.php?id=hash
http://www.bitcoin.org/wiki/doku.php?id=block
http://www.bitcoin.org/wiki/doku.php?id=target

Also: Sorry for letting you hang there, I had the tab open and everything typed out, I just never clicked "post!".
Just follow this instruction this is a good idea about your problems,  block is bitcoin your cpu is hasing data to generate blocks .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: