Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:29:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: All you home mining farms...how do you keep it cool?  (Read 467 times)
duhjeff (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 09:29:43 PM

So I moved my rig into the basement hallway.  No windows except stairs going straight to the kitchen which I have exhaust fan in the kitchen and.  I have an industrial fan blowing it at the rig...it seems to be working however, being that it's actually warmer today (70's in NY) and I see some of the GPU's are going into the low 70s which it worries me because I think it'll go even higher in the summer.  Currently the kitchen exhaust fan is showing 85 degrees...  So my question is...how do you guys do it to keep your mining farm cool (if you have an enclosed space like mine).   I thinking couple of box fans on each side of the shelf or better yet, get a 13000 btu portable ac and build an air duct that blows cold air directly to my GPU's (that's the last resort since it's the most expensive way).   

Any ideas?

RentGPU

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 09:36:30 PM

Manual set your fans to 60 or 65% or whatever you find the temp stable , a lot of ventilation.
If you will use a/c things will be good without all the above.

2016 GPU Miner
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 09:43:26 PM

Actually, for GPUs, mining with the range of temperatures like ~85 degrees is a norm. My mining rigs have been mining for years now with 88 degrees throughout (according to GPU-Z), without creating any mess.

So as long as your GPU temperature remains below (or at) 85-86 degrees, you can consider your setup safe.
RentGPU

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 07:17:41 PM

Actually, for GPUs, mining with the range of temperatures like ~85 degrees is a norm. My mining rigs have been mining for years now with 88 degrees throughout (according to GPU-Z), without creating any mess.

So as long as your GPU temperature remains below (or at) 85-86 degrees, you can consider your setup safe.
88 degrees isn't considered safe for long term operating temp. , working good for you ( i hope to continue that way) doesn't mean that it's a safe operating temp , i am mining for 2 years in a very difficult enviroment and less than 75 degrees is what i consider safe you shouldn't pass that range for long time , it will shorten the lifetime of your gpus

2016 GPU Miner
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 07:24:22 PM

My GPUs have also been running near 80c (lower during winter and higher during summer but for the most part avg 80) for about 1 1/2 years and they're running fine just like Raja. Obviously anything above 80 isn't ideal and your goal is to get temps below that, but if you can't or if it's cost prohibitive to get better cooling it's okay.

The box fans should work. You won't need AC in most cases, getting enough exhaust out should work.
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 09:01:27 PM

I know people who have been mining with reference r9 290 cards close from the day they were released. The temps on those cards are near 90°C all the time and after over 4 years of mining, they are still going strong Cheesy

duhjeff (OP)

Activity: 106

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 10:04:09 PM

I know people who have been mining with reference r9 290 cards close from the day they were released. The temps on those cards are near 90°C all the time and after over 4 years of mining, they are still going strong Cheesy

knowing my luck..80c will burn all my precious cards Tongue

jvdp

Activity: 1148
Merit: 523

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 10:09:30 PM

My RX 580 and Nvidia p106 cards pretty better temperature by seeing your csrd's temperature mate. I have seen maximum of 78 dgree Celsius as the maximum amount of heat here.
To see the cooling side I didn't made any settings apart from two regular table fans under my mining rig to upside towards window.
Since I have started 6 months it is working better for me.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
jarislv

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 10:29:09 PM

Mining in a tropical climate. (75F to 100F all year)

Hot air exhaust system is key. You want negative pressure in the room rather than positive.

GPU cooling design is also important. Some brands run cool, others run hot from the get go.
Suslived

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 12:31:51 AM

I'm pretty surprised to see that some people have been running their GPUs at above 80+ degrees. And here i thought i was torturing my GPUs by running them at the 70+ range.

Anyway, to keep my home cooler, i've installed an exhaust fan right above my miners. It hasn't done much to help cool the GPUs but it's done much to cool the house. I bought a simple ceiling type exhaust fan that runs 30w.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
JuanHungLo

Activity: 935
Merit: 1001

I don't always drink...

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 01:37:24 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2002025.msg24851113#msg24851113

Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. - John Templeton
WaffleMaster

Activity: 966
Merit: 546

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 02:01:38 AM

Chips have internal regulating that will just throttle the speeds until they reach a safe level again. Actually, the safe level is still within the range of their throttling, but they do that to prevent it going 10-20 degress higher and damage being cause to the cores or chips or whatever. If those fail and it goes too hot for a long time you'll get a bricked device.

Just put some fans real close to those puppies Grin
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 02:47:29 AM

So I moved my rig into the basement hallway.  No windows except stairs going straight to the kitchen which I have exhaust fan in the kitchen and.  I have an industrial fan blowing it at the rig...it seems to be working however, being that it's actually warmer today (70's in NY) and I see some of the GPU's are going into the low 70s which it worries me because I think it'll go even higher in the summer.  Currently the kitchen exhaust fan is showing 85 degrees...  So my question is...how do you guys do it to keep your mining farm cool (if you have an enclosed space like mine).   I thinking couple of box fans on each side of the shelf or better yet, get a 13000 btu portable ac and build an air duct that blows cold air directly to my GPU's (that's the last resort since it's the most expensive way).   

Any ideas?

a/c is way very expensive aside from adding electricity cost

What I could see is that you don't have enough fresh air intake and more of the exhaust air going to your kitchen

If I were you, I will basically create a Fresh air from outside then drive hot air again out

I was thinking on these, 1 intake and 2 exhaust

https://www.amazon.com/HVHF-12COMBO-Cylinder-Velocity-Portable/dp/B004GHNKU0/ref=pd_sbs_236_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004GHNKU0&pd_rd_r=R7B9R95DDAAA2XZWZ59P&pd_rd_w=Uv0sH&pd_rd_wg=GNAsq&psc=1&refRID=R7B9R95DDAAA2XZWZ59P

I see this on a basement type of mining were no windows and only doors available

Max Likelihood

Activity: 140
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 03:05:15 AM

I have mine in the basement also, and keep them near a window that lets in cool air directed onto the back with small fan, 120mm push fans behind and less powerfull pull ones in front, then a vent with two exhaust fans to the outside.

Since the hot air rises, the exhaust vent near the ceiling pushes the hot air right out nicely. The rigs are on shelves 3 feet and lower in height, since when the room heats it's from the cieling down. It's also a big open basement with a couple exhaust fans so the heat can't build up in a small space with little air cic.

And I agree that 80 C isn't a disaster, but keeping them cooler is good. Some algos are cooler; I hate neoscrypt and like stuff I can run at lower power draw efficiently.
remauto1187ma

Activity: 234
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 03:58:22 AM

First key is to lower the GPU power consumed (more power equals more heat) and overclock to achieve same or higher profitability using less power which reduces total heat output.  Then the key to keeping them cool isair flow!  You have to get rid of the heat or you will just be raising the temp inside the home.  An a/c unit will remove the heat (thats how it cools a house down) but if your mining rigs makes more heat than the a/c unit removes then the a/c will never be able to keep up with the heat output.  Bringing in fresh air from outside is a good and bad idea.  When you bring fresh summer air in you are also bringing in humidity which isnt good for any electronics.  But even 95 degree F summer air is substantially cooler than what the temps the GPU is running at (75c is 167F!) so it is indeed cooling.
gameboy366

Activity: 252
Merit: 8

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 06:34:13 AM

1050ti runs so cool. At 39C afternoon temp they run at 57C at 56% Fan speed.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 07:45:05 AM

80C is really nothing for GPUs.

The Radeon 6990 is actually suppose to run up to 105C before it starts to throttle.

Same with the reference r9 290 which is suppose to run at 95C.

They all got good quality VRMs and MOSFET which can run up to 120C.

The bigger issue here is the memory chips which might not have an active heat sink. Since you are using them for ETH they heat up pretty quick.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 08:12:36 AM

For my 30 gpu I'm exhaust fan venting 1500 cfm. Gpus are around 65 degrees with auto fan speed around 65 in California weather. In the summer ill mine zcoin to further lower temps

I baby my gpus. I would never go above 70 degrees

Bitmain chips power down if it hits 80/degrees
m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 08:43:47 AM

80C is really nothing for GPUs.

Bitmain chips power down if it hits 80/degrees

Just goes to show how rank is sometimes a good measure of knowledge and accuracy.

I for one used to own some bitmain antminers which ran at 81-83 degrees during the day. I never experienced any power down or throttling compared to when they mine at around 77-78 degrees during the night.

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
timbereagle

Activity: 881
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 08:47:25 AM

For mining it is very important to exhaust hot air.

You do not need air conditioner. All you need is strong exhaust fan to get away from hot/dirty air.

Especially at summer you should double or tripple up your exhaust fan speed.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: