Poll
Question: Would you live on a seastead?
Yes - 5 (50%)
No - 5 (50%)
Other (explain below) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you live on a seastead?  (Read 529 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2018, 11:25:04 PM
Merited by hatshepsut93 (3)

Seasteading is the concept of creating permanent dwellings at sea, called seasteads, outside the territory claimed by any government. The term is a combination of the words sea and homesteading.

The basic premise is that if you don't like your government, you can float your house to another city/nation that is more to your liking. Essentially voting with your house.

If you have any questions let me know, I've been involved in seasteading since 2008 and am currently volunteering for the The Floating Island Project in French Polynesia to get the world's first seastead up and floating by 2021.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2018, 11:25:54 PM

I've also moved to Tahiti to see this project through so if I can do anything about it, this project will happen  Wink

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
TepungBeras

Activity: 176
Merit: 1

Presale is live: BitPenta.com

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 11:29:23 PM

That's very good and I also want to live there, I'm sure there must be many enthusiasts from various countries, how much to spend to stay there.

◖◖RealtyReturns◗◗
╣╣Cross-Border Blockchain-based Real Estate Marketplace╠╠
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2147

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 11:31:39 PM

The idea of seasteading always sounded appealing to me, but I wonder what would it be like to actually live there. What are the costs of living, what kind of jobs can I get there, what is it like to live in the ocean (I've never been on any ship)? So, maybe I wouldn't be able to live there even if I wanted to for one of those reasons, but I would definitely want to visit a seastead at some point of my life.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
abelmon66

Activity: 100
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 11:35:17 PM

It seems very nice and nice place, but I do not like to live in a wounded place that is not recognized by any country, because I prefer to live in the country and I think it's safer.
Suharti12

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 11:55:01 PM

I am very happy to be able to stay there, because I am sure I can be more comfortable and not many rules to live there, how can I stay there.

●          ◯        M O N O P O L Y   M I L L I O N A I R E        ◯          ●
████ ███ ██ █        Diversified Gaming Platform Covering Staking, NFT and Metaverse Games        █ ██ ███ ████
Facebook     |     Twitter     |     Telegram     |     LinkedIn     |     Github     |     Discord     |     Medium     |     Reddit
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2018, 11:59:42 PM

It seems very nice and nice place, but I do not like to live in a wounded place that is not recognized by any country, because I prefer to live in the country and I think it's safer.

The first seasteads will be in French Polynesia under French Polynesian criminal laws and military protection.

Hexah

Activity: 728
Merit: 265

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 12:13:54 AM

Seems a good way of living and I think varyon has made a unique project. I have a suggestion that this topic should be moved on altcoin discussion since this isn't discussing about bitcoin here, and I think it can create more traffic out there. Hope it will be moved and accept my suggestion.
apelmerah

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 12:16:14 AM

It is a very special place and island, I am very interested to live on the island, and I will tell my friends and relatives to offer to stay there.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 12:21:29 AM

Seems a good way of living and I think varyon has made a unique project. I have a suggestion that this topic should be moved on altcoin discussion since this isn't discussing about bitcoin here, and I think it can create more traffic out there. Hope it will be moved and accept my suggestion.

There will be an alt coin thread dedicated specifically to the token, Varyon.

This one is for discussion of seasteading in general and the current project under way to make seasteading happen.

It is Bitcoin and blockchain related in that most of the economy and governance will be blockchain based and Bitcoin will certainly be popular at most of the businesses along with basically any currency anyone wants to accept.

I could see eventually some sort of basket of the most stable currencies being used, or some combination with metals. But that is the whole point of competing seasteads. They can figure out what is best.

I'll leave the alt coin thread for the actual company, Blue Frontiers. I do not represent or speak for Blue Frontiers, I just support the project.

Hexah

Activity: 728
Merit: 265

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 12:28:34 AM

There will be an alt coin thread dedicated specifically to the token, Varyon.

This one is for discussion of seasteading in general and the current project under way to make seasteading happen.

It is Bitcoin and blockchain related in that most of the economy and governance will be blockchain based and Bitcoin will certainly be popular at most of the businesses along with basically any currency anyone wants to accept.

I could see eventually some sort of basket of the most stable currencies being used, or some combination with metals. But that is the whole point of competing seasteads. They can figure out what is best.
With strong team, strategic partnership and long term planning I have a feeling that this will be a successful project. Do you have a strong competitor on seasteading industry?
SUDARMONO

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 12:29:25 AM

A very nice place to be a place to live, and I am very interested to be able to live there, and how I can to settle on the floating island.
PauloLuks

Activity: 223
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 12:29:37 AM

Successful cities need a variety of infrastructures, such as roads, electricity power plants, network connectivity, water and sewer lines, and so forth. At small scales we could probably design this infrastructure to be completely modular. But that approach doesn’t scale, at some point we need expensive fixed infrastructure, like multi-lane highways, bridges, water mains, subway lines, airports, which only make economic sense if built on a geographically stable foundation. Such infrastructure wouldn’t be feasible in a “dynamic” city, and without such infrastructure it’s hard to imagine a city of even modest size being viable. It could be a good place to spend a vacation, but no more than that.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 01:39:47 AM

With strong team, strategic partnership and long term planning I have a feeling that this will be a successful project. Do you have a strong competitor on seasteading industry?

The company was founded in January of 2017 and have been going strong ever since. A lot of work with the French Polynesian government, they have a partnership with a company out of the Netherlands that builds floating structures (Blue21). There are many partners being worked on with several big name advisers such as Ethereum's Daniel Nagy, Lara Stein (founder of TEDx), Gaspard Koenig (runs the premier libertarian think tank in France who advised the head of the IMF in France who just recently endorsed blockchain technology).

The nice thing about this is that Blue Frontiers has first mover advantage. No competitors. The Seasteading Institute, which was founded by Patri Friedman and funded initially by Peter Thiel, has been around since 2008 but they merely promote the idea of seasteading and do research. They're non-profit so they can't actually build anything.

Getcoinsite

Activity: 714
Merit: 260

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 01:57:45 AM

Im planning to move out when i retired from work,that means in five years from now i will be on that decision and if given a chance to live in that kind of peaceful environment then would love to spend rest of life in the middle of the sea but my only concern is im based on asia and as i am reading your post this sounds like its too far from my place and i may not be qualify
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 02:17:41 AM

How will the inhabitants of that new city do to know what are the laws that will be implemented there? Because to maintain a society there must be laws with which everyone agrees.

For the final seasteads (out in international waters) you would likely move to a seastead because of the laws (or lack thereof).

I suppose it will be like if you were go to Amsterdam right now. How do you know the drug and prostitution laws there? They're so different from the rest of the world. You just google it. There's probably a page for tourists for the basic stuff, then the actual full text of the laws on another website.

I have lived all over the world. Before you get to a new country or soon after you arrive you do a bit of research on things you should know in your new country.

As for how those laws are decided or implemented? I am hoping that it will be mainly blockchain based (for most of the cities...some may want to be old school, who knows) voting systems with public ledgers and verifiable proofs.

daarul50
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1034

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 02:39:05 AM

Know that man really needs a rule. Without such provision may occur. If you choose to live in seastead, whatever you want, you will live comfortably free of all governmental rules. A rule created just for comfort and billing in a casual atmosphere does not happen.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 03:09:12 AM

A city with no government is good but we must have a Law/Rules here without it this place will become a murderous place cause it's legal to kill here.

It's not about no government.

I see it as a blank slate with which you can create something great.

Imagine every country's government as a painting. The country has chosen one painting as their national painting and it is that nation's painting. Maybe every couple of years they may add a tiny change or tweak a color, maybe a tiny dog in the painting did not have any eyes drawn originally and after years of discussion they decide to draw one white eye after much debate, though the painting essentially stays the same. This goes on for centuries with just a tweak here and there. They even decide that their style of painting is the best and that any other country choosing a different style is bad and they go to war over these differences.

Meanwhile, artists all over the world look at these paintings and believe that there could be something better...the centuries old paintings are dull and boring. Warhol comes along, Picasso shows up...Dali wants to change things a bit. But they can't create anything new because there are no blank canvasses in the world. They might have great ideas but there is no place for them to express them. And the world doesn't get to enjoy their paintings.

But then seasteading comes along and says...here are many blank canvasses. Try out some new paintings. Some will be shit because we haven't had any new paintings in hundreds of years. Some will copy the old paintings with some minor changes that other countries had already discussed. But some will be the Picassos, the Warhols, the Dalis...new and interesting. Unlike anything that has come before. Nothing that was allowed to come before. Hell, while old countries will be looking at paintings, we could be watching movies in full surround sound or in a VR world. Leaving them all behind to their legacy systems. Much like what we are doing with Bitcoin as money.

Josiah Dave Leonor

Activity: 97
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 03:13:04 AM

The idea of seasteading always sounded appealing to me, but I wonder what would it be like to actually live there and. I have a suggestion that this topic should be moved on altcoin discussion since this isn't discussing and  It could be a good place to spend a vacation, but no more than that.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 03:28:31 AM

The idea of seasteading always sounded appealing to me, but I wonder what would it be like to actually live there and. I have a suggestion that this topic should be moved on altcoin discussion since this isn't discussing and  It could be a good place to spend a vacation, but no more than that.

This isn't a discussion about an alt coin, it's a discussion about seasteading.

While Blue Frontiers is doing an ICO for their seastead token (Varyon), I'll leave Blue Frontiers to create a thread in the altcoin section to discuss Varyon.

We need Bitcoin people to get involved in seasteading so that bitcoin can be an integral part in the blockchain based protocols on the seasteads for things like governance, voting, property registration, etc.  Maybe using something like Rootstock or other Bitcoin advances to do so. Implementing Lightning Network as the popular payment system for most seasteads..

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: