Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 07:38:55 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH crashes the computer but ZEC mines just fine...  (Read 225 times)
weinerjf (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 05:13:45 AM

So I've been having a nightmare with my miner. I have six 1060s (6gb) and for the last few weeks I've been trying to get claymore up and running. I've gotten it down to where now it will run claymore for 5 minutes or so and then it randomly restarts. The event viewer tells me its a Kernel-Power 41 error.

However I just tried excavator (ZEC) on a whim and its been running for an hour with no problem.

My initial thought was that it's my power supply (1000w bronze)... but I hesitate because 1) I don't understand why it would mine ZEC but not ETH on that power supply and 2) When I plugged it into my KillaWatt it said its only drawing about 600w from the wall.

What could cause ZEC to mine fine but not ETH?

Virtual memory is set to 16-24gb
Reinstalled drivers
Reinstalled windows
Bought new risers
Bought new motherboard
Set pcie to Gen2 in bios
Tried Genoil instead of Claymore
Put the ETH miner in a exemption folder on windows defender
High performance power mode
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 05:17:38 AM

Just an unrelated question tho. Why would you want to mine Ethhash? Equihash would be alot more profitable with your current rig. I guess you could do it just for fun, but i really see no point in getting it to work.
weinerjf (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 05:23:18 AM

Just an unrelated question tho. Why would you want to mine Ethhash? Equihash would be alot more profitable with your current rig. I guess you could do it just for fun, but i really see no point in getting it to work.

I'd mine ZEC all day if it was more profitable. Right now I get around 1,600 sols on ZEC and 138 mh/s on ETH. Whattomine tells me I'd be making a few bucks more per day on ETHash.

You'd make my day if I'm wrong here, and I'm still kinda new to mining. Do those numbers not sound right?

OC settings are 75%/-100/+500. I messed around a little with the OC and nothing changed too much so i left it.
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 05:30:11 AM

I'd mine ZEC all day if it was more profitable. Right now I get around 1,600 sols on ZEC and 138 mh/s on ETH. Whattomine tells me I'd be making a few bucks more per day on ETHash.

You'd make my day if I'm wrong here, and I'm still kinda new to mining. Do those numbers not sound right?

OC settings are 75%/-100/+500. I messed around a little with the OC and nothing changed too much so i left it.

Those numbers sounds quite right acually. Maybe just a little high on the ETH, but not by much. My information is abit outdated as ive sold all my rigs last month. I guess alot of ppl are fleeing ETH mining with the new ASICs comming out?

I really cant help you with your problem since ive never engaged in ethhash mining, but your speeds sounds right!

Good luck.
szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 05:35:51 AM

Now you have your answer psu,anyway new ryzen2 architecture ryzen+ is coming April 19.
weinerjf (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 05:39:48 AM

Now you have your answer psu,anyway new ryzen2 architecture ryzen+ is coming April 19.

Sorry I'll have to ask you to clarify. You DO think that it's the PSU? Does mining ETH take significantly more power than mining ZEC?

Also I'm totally lost on the last part of your post with the ryzen2 architecture and such. What does that mean for me?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

It's funny you are getting this issue. Because on my main PC with 2 GPUs I've tried mining ETH and very randomly the system would just freeze. Either once a day or once a week.

Tried ZEC mining and never had this issue.

I think it's maybe the higher memory clock that makes the system unstable from time to time. Only solution I can think of.
weinerjf (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 02:35:24 PM

It's funny you are getting this issue. Because on my main PC with 2 GPUs I've tried mining ETH and very randomly the system would just freeze. Either once a day or once a week.

I think it's maybe the higher memory clock that makes the system unstable from time to time. Only solution I can think of.

Yeah its annoying isn't it. Funny thing is, even with NO overclock... ETH still crashes it
m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 03:48:59 PM

Yeah its annoying isn't it. Funny thing is, even with NO overclock... ETH still crashes it

You got to live like this with AMD cards until you find their sweet spot. Even if you have no overclock settings, one possible cause of crashes would be an incorrect BIOS mod. Try the polaris bios editor with the one click patch thingy.

If it still doesn't work try changing your risers! Good luck matey

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
weinerjf (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:08:25 PM

You got to live like this with AMD cards until you find their sweet spot. Even if you have no overclock settings, one possible cause of crashes would be an incorrect BIOS mod. Try the polaris bios editor with the one click patch thingy.

If it still doesn't work try changing your risers! Good luck matey

Thanks for the info, I'll look int it. But the 1060 is a Nvidia card not AMD? If the profitability wasn't so different I would just mine ZEC and be happy, but damn its like $2/day difference
NiklasFalk

Activity: 94
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 05:22:07 PM

Have you tried other miners than claymore?

I would not think it's ethash per se that is causing you the issues, and if you still get crashes when turning down clocks it's most probably not the heat or power.
That equihash works stable point to no issues with any basic hw (mobo, cpu, memory, risers, GPU memeory/core)...

I would blame Claymore+Windows (drivers etc etc) combination (Claymore 11.6 on SMOS have only occasional misalign issues for me, with 1060 3GB cards).
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 06:05:43 PM

It is impossible to be a PSU problem, especially if the PSU is 1000watt, while 1 GTX 1060 consumes at max 120 watt each so six cards can be 720 watt plus 100 watt the motherboard and other parts (although in the majority of the times it is less than 100 watt) so in total you are using 820 watt which is within the standard 82% of any bronze related PSU if it is a good brand of course. If it is unbranded or some Chinese one then maybe the PSU fault.
Mister1k

Activity: 896
Merit: 520

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 06:32:11 PM

It is impossible to be a PSU problem, especially if the PSU is 1000watt, while 1 GTX 1060 consumes at max 120 watt each so six cards can be 720 watt plus 100 watt the motherboard and other parts (although in the majority of the times it is less than 100 watt) so in total you are using 820 watt which is within the standard 82% of any bronze related PSU if it is a good brand of course. If it is unbranded or some Chinese one then maybe the PSU fault.

I see many people started using the circle PSU. This will give the more power to the mining rig but many people reporting this one give more issue on mining with the perfect number of cards with the circle PSU.
Check the store you bought from whether the made is a original one and fake sticker from China.
Very rare you will be finding the error on mining mother board as well. Asrock sucks many time mate.
SpceGhst

Activity: 269
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 06:50:07 PM

Ethash is more memory intensive than Equihash, so yes, it draws more power.

Easy way to test if it’s a power issue or not is to remove one or two cards from the system and see if ethash then runs okay.
T0mmyGun

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 09:06:54 PM

I have the same issue with my 1050ti rig, I don't have a solution for you but I would love to hear it. I now mine ZEC for like 2 weeks straight with no issues, I switched back to ETH and it worked for about 12 hours then crashed and went back to ZEC.
weinerjf (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 02:48:57 AM

Ethash is more memory intensive than Equihash, so yes, it draws more power.

Easy way to test if it’s a power issue or not is to remove one or two cards from the system and see if ethash then runs okay.

Good god why haven't i thought of this.
Mohondoa

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 03:25:34 AM

I've experienced in it, every time I up the memory clock and lower the voltage suddenly frezze my computer. Maybe it's because you're too high in memory clock or too low in voltages. Try resetting  back for memory clock and voltage. Here I use driveNtool for its OC.
szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 05:08:13 AM

Sorry I'll have to ask you to clarify. You DO think that it's the PSU? Does mining ETH take significantly more power than mining ZEC?

Also I'm totally lost on the last part of your post with the ryzen2 architecture and such. What does that mean for me?
Ryzen2 is cheaper in premier then ryzen1.Check thermal paste in cpu.Here is the article https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-kernel-power-41-critical-error-on-windows-10/
LearningGuy

Activity: 69

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 11:03:44 PM

Question on this. Do you ever get blue screen and Video TDR Failiure message? I’ve just started getting this and I’m thinking maybe it is a bios mod as it’s on two of the cards that are Asus rig strix which I don’t think I used the 1 click editor. My rig has been standing for days now. Maybe I must try another Algo to test.

Hang on Nvidea....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: