Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:40:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: unclear brain wallet instruction at coindesk  (Read 1640 times)
kellrobinson (OP)

Activity: 304
Merit: 380

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:30:37 AM

Help me out here.  Go to this link
http://www.coindesk.com/how-to-create-a-brain-wallet/
scroll down to the stick figure illustration,
and you will see
"Alternatively you cold import the wallet back into your bitcoin client.  To do this, open bitcoin on your desktop..."
What program or app do they mean when they say open "bitcoin"?
andrewboy44

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:49:49 AM

and you will see
"Alternatively you cold import the wallet back into your bitcoin client.  To do this, open bitcoin on your desktop..."

It says "you could import the wallet back into your client. To do this, open bitcoin....". Open bitcoin meaning open your bitcoin client and import your private key.

"To do this, open bitcoin on your desktop, open the Help menu and select “Debug Window”. Then, click on the “Console” tab, and type in

Importprivkey [Your private key here without brackets] “The label that you want in quote marks”

It will take a while for your client to import the data as it has to trace the bitcoin address back through the complete block chain to obtain the full balance of bitcoins."

Open your bitcoin qt on your computer then follow the instructions to open the debug window then import the key. Also an much easier solution for redeeming or importing your brainwallet would be use mtgox or blockchain.info and import it that way. Hope this helps  Smiley
ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 12:51:31 AM

and you will see

It says "you could import the wallet back into your client. To do this, open bitcoin....". Open bitcoin meaning open your bitcoin client and import your private key.

"To do this, open bitcoin on your desktop, open the Help menu and select “Debug Window”. Then, click on the “Console” tab, and type in

Importprivkey [Your private key here without brackets] “The label that you want in quote marks”

It will take a while for your client to import the data as it has to trace the bitcoin address back through the complete block chain to obtain the full balance of bitcoins."

Open your bitcoin qt on your computer then follow the instructions to open the debug window then import the key. Also an much easier solution for redeeming or importing your brainwallet would be use mtgox or blockchain.info and import it that way. Hope this helps  Smiley

Helpful!
kellrobinson (OP)

Activity: 304
Merit: 380

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:41:31 AM

I've been using coinbase.com.  It's time to stop keeping my bitcoins on somebody else's cloud, so to speak.  That's why I'm looking into setting up a brain wallet.
I don't have bitcoin qt on my computer and I'm not going to download the whole blockchain.  I do my transactions from a tablet.  I don't use Mt. Gox.
I wanted to use Electrum, but setting it up to run on Android is too complicated.
andrewboy44

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:55:39 AM

I've been using coinbase.com.  It's time to stop keeping my bitcoins on somebody else's cloud, so to speak.  That's why I'm looking into setting up a brain wallet.
I don't have bitcoin qt on my computer and I'm not going to download the whole blockchain.  I do my transactions from a tablet.  I don't use Mt. Gox.
I wanted to use Electrum, but setting it up to run on Android is too complicated.

Smart man I must say. Cold storage is the way to go. Opening a mtgox account is simple. But to clarify you do not need any online wallet account to make a brainwallet. Simply go to brainwallet.org or bitaddress.org and make your unique brainwallet with your personal passphrase (use numbers, letters, spaces, etc). The only time you would need an online wallet account is to redeem your private key since you do not have qt. Qt can be dangerous for new users. Make sure you encrypt your wallet, save the password, and save your wallet.dat file on another device for security. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Good luck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: