Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:45:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Self-moderation is censorship  (Read 848 times)
hawkeye (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:06:08 AM

Anyone who hates censorship should not reply to self-moderated topics regardless of topic.   Let's not encourage this practice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:15:36 AM

This is one of the few features I passionately dislike.

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:16:26 AM

Tis true.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:21:30 AM

I see no problem with moderation, at least in the securities section, way too much trolls, other threads I just ignore.

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:09:30 AM

Yeah, thats kind of the point I think.

"This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. "

It gives you a disclaimer when you enter the thread that if you don't want to be moderated by the OP, don't post. So... mission accomplished?
pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:13:16 AM

When i saw the title i thought this was a more... philosophical thread  Embarrassed

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:24:32 AM

Yeah, thats kind of the point I think.

"This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. "

It gives you a disclaimer when you enter the thread that if you don't want to be moderated by the OP, don't post. So... mission accomplished?

It's still lame; if the purpose of a thread, perhaps not everywhere but particularly in politics & society, is to present a problem or happening in the world and discuss it, then it becomes a moot point to make it self-moderated, to delete any dissenting opinions or remove people you dislike; what good is a conversation when only people you agree with may remain?  It's little more than an echo: "Oh you agree with me?  You can stay.  You don't agree with me?  Gtfo."  Any other reason to moderate is rare and very well handled by mods; my only option in the case of self-moderated threads, as has always been the case as I often have uncommon opinions, is to recreate the same thread with the same topic without the self-moderation just to ensure posts can't be unfairly removed.

I see good uses for this in, for example, the marketplace, where discussion isn't the point; in this subforum, at least, it's a nuisance.  Any chance certain boards can be excluded from this feature?

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:28:15 AM

It's still lame; if the purpose of a thread, perhaps not everywhere but particularly in politics & society, is to present a problem or happening in the world and discuss it, then it becomes a moot point to make it self-moderated, to delete any dissenting opinions or remove people you dislike; what good is a conversation when only people you agree with may remain?  It's little more than an echo: "Oh you agree with me?  You can stay.  You don't agree with me?  Gtfo."  Any other reason to moderate is rare and very well handled by mods; my only option in the case of self-moderated threads, as has always been the case as I often have uncommon opinions, is to recreate the same thread with the same topic without the self-moderation just to ensure posts can't be unfairly removed.

I see good uses for this in, for example, the marketplace, where discussion isn't the point; in this subforum, at least, it's a nuisance.  Any chance certain boards can be excluded from this feature?

I'm not sure, but thats a pretty good point, perhaps bring that idea to Meta. I'm on the side where I find self moderation incredibly useful in certain senarios, like in the market like you said. I guess I didn't think about the implications of having self moderated threads in sections where the point is to express your individual ideas. I wouldn't figure people would use them here.

Then again, even in this section, I'm sure some people could use self moderation for good. For example, say you made a thread about Public Education, and then some spammers come in and start posting about how Wild Irish Rose was created by the republicans to exterminate the homeless. Would you delete their comments?
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:46:52 AM

Then again, even in this section, I'm sure some people could use self moderation for good. For example, say you made a thread about Public Education, and then some spammers come in and start posting about how Wild Irish Rose was created by the republicans to exterminate the homeless. Would you delete their comments?

I can see this happening, though I've never seen it used in this way.  I believe this scenario falls under the "rare" category; usually when something like this happens, it's offensive and usually involves the Jewish people, but in the off case, a mod has always been able to handle it; the security of a regular thread, in my view, is worth the trade-off for being incapable of handling an offensive poster immediately.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 05:50:51 AM

I like to start self moderated topics, the moderators do not tend to moderate things like going way off topic.

What would Jesus do?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:58:56 AM

I like to start self moderated topics, the moderators do not tend to moderate things like going way off topic.

What would Jesus do?

Apparently this Tongue

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:05:31 AM

read this thread, see how well it is moderated

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=331258.0

nb4 50% of posts are from mods!

LOL this might be an argument for self-moderation Tongue

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 06:47:22 AM

What would Jesus do?

Apparently this Tongue

So Jesus is just a computer program?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
nasamanBoy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:52:50 AM

I say personal moderation. But I also find it funny when certain letters are substituted with *'s or random symbols. I actually prefer it that way, it gets the point across without actually having to type to word. And it gives you a chance to be creative.......
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:20:15 PM

I say personal moderation. But I also find it funny when certain letters are substituted with *'s or random symbols. I actually prefer it that way, it gets the point across without actually having to type to word. And it gives you a chance to be creative.......

I can never understand when people asterisk letters out. I think people should just get creative with their profanity rather than censor themselves.
nasamanBoy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:32:31 PM

Wink
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:38:30 PM

self moderated topics are useful when there is a large amount of spam / off topic posts

it would be better to make it so people can see how many posts have been deleted on that thread

I have made around 10-20 self moderated threads over the last 7 months I think I have only had to delete  4 posts in those threads

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 07:08:15 PM

What would Jesus do?

He'd allow everyone to voice their opinion, despite the attacks towards his philosophy he receives.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: