Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:22:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund (.org, et al. registered to raise $1M USD)  (Read 5722 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 07:00:16 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 04:34:59 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

<Mods: Not seeking any latitude this time regarding this thread staying in this section. If a better place exists, earn your keep and put it there.  Wink Thank you in advance.>

EDIT: The following is the official Bitcoin vanity wallet address: 1THRF26KAsDDLh1JyWB5Hbm5mYgN6LwZt

My intent was to do this yesterday, but wanted a vanity address to go along with it, hence requesting of Rassah to hash one.

I just registered typhoonhaiyanrelieffund.org, along with the .com, .net and .info to eliminate as much as possible somebody coming along and hijacking visitors, diverting them from the main domain. I'll redirect those other three to the .org site once it's up and running.

It will be hosted at Host Gator and built with Wordpress, unless The Bitcoin Foundation feels they're best suited and up to the task to take over this venerable endeavor, opting to host it elsewhere utilizing a different CMS.

EDIT: Please note that the following is no longer relevant, but opted to use a smaller font size oppose to striking through or editing out the entire text. As seen above, the official Bitcoin address is 1THRF26KAsDDLh1JyWB5Hbm5mYgN6LwZt. Note the firstbits 1THRF, of which is nothing special but does give it a nice touch, at least that was my intent.

The temporary Bitcoin wallet address that'll be use until Rassah creates a vanity wallet is 1Jhre(redacted)F4t. (address redacted at 12:58 PM (CST) on 11-13-13, prior to penning the post now available toward the bottom of this OP, when it contained $0.0 USD/0.0 BTC)

The Bitcoin wallet address above was created through blockchain.info and I'm the only one that has access to it. Once Rassah hashes a new wallet, all funds in the above wallet WILL be transferred to the vanity address of which ONLY Rassah and Roger Ver will have access to it. I WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS! Any and all donations to the discontinued wallet in the future after it served its purpose will also be transferred to the yet to be created vanity address.

With the exception of this post, the above address WILL NOT be published elsewhere by me. I will later strikethrough the above address and add a statement after it consisting of, in no uncertain terms, "This address is no longer valid and should not be used for any ongoing or future causes." I simply wanted a Bitcoin address in place now to get the ball a rollin'.

That said, only donate to the above address if you trust me, otherwise wait to donate to the vanity address created by Rassah, probably one of the few people that can totally be trusted in the Bitcoin community. There shouldn't be any issues concerning Roger Ver also having the private key to the yet to be hashed Bitcoin vanity address.

What's the goal? To garner ONLY $1M USD via Bitcoin. It'll be the largest, let alone fastest, amount of bitcoins donated, to date, intended for an NPO, in this case to help with their relief efforts due to the disaster in the Philippines caused by Typhoon Haiyan.

What's the timeframe? ONLY 30 days to reach the goal, then have it all transferred to an NPO(s) by Christmas (2013).

Where will the funds go once the goal is reached? To The Bitcoin Foundation.

Are they aware of this? NO! But they will be once somebody there reads this thread.

Why them? Because they're a trusted enough Bitcoin entity that WILL make sure the million dollars reaches its intended NPO(s), among other reasons.

Which NPO will be receiving this wonderful endowment? This aspect is 100% open for discussion.

Can it be divided among more than one NPO? Most certainly, if that be the case but, ideally, one lump sum to a single NPO may be a better option and something that should be strongly considered. Personally, I would love to have BitPay process another $1M USD transaction, this time sans a fee, thus giving Bitcoin that much more exposure. A rising tide analogy comes to mind, don't you think?

Does, or will, the NPO have to accept bitcoin donation on their site to earn this endowment? NO, albeit they will/should be gently asked.

Why not? Because the lucky recipiate may have reservations about Bitcoin, for whatever reason(s), but they may be deemed most worthy of receiving the $1M USD endowment.

What if I don't like, or trust, you or Roger Ver or The Bitcoin Foundation? Then we won't let you pet the goat.  Grin

And we should trust Rassah because...? Furry avatar and https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=20203.

How will we know if The Bitcoin Foundation via BitPay (hopefully) truly sent the endowment to the NPO(s)? The burden of proof will solely be on them to provide undeniable proof that such did occur. This aspect could, and should, be discussed as well in this thread.

What are the chances of the $1M USD goal being reached? I'll place it at around 75-80%.

Media exposure? Mega, once the site is up, the vanity address is generated, and The Bitcoin Foundation is fully behind it.

Besides Bitcoin, can donations be giving via other means? Not directly to Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund, but others may amass donations via other means, then convert their local currency to bitcoins.

Is Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund a 501(c)3 organization? No! But, if that needs to be the case, and is preferred, and can be accomplished in such a short timeframe, then I'm willing to foot the cost to have such in place. This aspect is definitely opened for discussion. Seeing that this may gain major media exposure, it may be prudent to have it in place, in which case I would seek help from the legal department arm of The Bitcoin Foundation.

Will you be tracking each and every donation like you've done so in the past? No, because the task would be too overwhelming. But, I will, as always, thank each and every person who donates via this thread. The first 100 businesses that donate, I will construct a sign showcasing its name, whereupon it will be on display during Thanksgiving at Satoshi Forest, an endeavor to feed the local homeless in Pensacola, Florida: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=329396.0

How do you continue to come up with these great ideas? Because I'm TMIBTCITW.

I may add more information in the form of EDITS to this OP if such is warranted. Feel free to ask questions and express your concerns.

Thank you in advance, all.

Bruno Kucinskas a.k.a. TMIBTCITW

EDIT:

Before I address the recent posts, I want to state that I've redacted the original Bitcoin wallet address since we can expect a dedicated wallet hashed by that atheist  Wink Rassah shortly. Zero bitcoins were donated to it while it was available.

~TMIBTCITW

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 07:00:29 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 04:38:20 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

List of NPOs suggested by bitcoiners for consideration of the $1M USD endowment via bitcoin donations:

Please make me aware if any of the links above needs amending.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:03:39 AM
Last edit: November 13, 2013, 08:33:24 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Consider using http://www.charitynavigator.org/ when evaluating NPOs as to which one(s) would be most deserving for the $1M endowment.

Feedback from Dabs as to which NPOs may qualify, since he lives in the Philippines, will be most welcome.
plasmoske

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

The realist

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:38:43 AM

Sounds cool but too risky IMO.

Personally I think people are better off donating directly to the charities themselves instead of rounding up funds and passing them around. More steps = more chances it will be lost, stolen or sent to the wrong place.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/11/11/philippines_typhoon_how_to_donate_to_typhoon_haiyan_relief_efforts.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/10/help-typhoon-haiyan-relief-effort
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:45:18 AM

Sounds cool but too risky IMO.

Personally I think people are better off donating directly to the charities themselves instead of rounding up funds and passing them around. More steps = more chances it will be lost, stolen or sent to the wrong place.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/11/11/philippines_typhoon_how_to_donate_to_typhoon_haiyan_relief_efforts.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/10/help-typhoon-haiyan-relief-effort

About as risky as http://bitcoin100.org/ 's wallet https://blockchain.info/address/1BTC1oo1J3MEt5SFj74ZBcF2Mk97Aah4ac  ?

No. Transactions   356   

Total Received   $ 582,496.22   

Final Balance   $ 54,776.99
plasmoske

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

The realist

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:05:11 AM
Last edit: November 13, 2013, 09:24:10 AM by plasmoske

Almost.

How will we know the funds we give will go to the right place(s)?

Maybe we vote to donate to the Red Cross and you end up giving it to the The Salvation Army instead or worse, The Plasmo Foundation.

ONLY 30 days to reach the goal

More reason to donate directly. The faster they get the funds, the faster they can utilize the funds.

People's homes/livelihood are destroyed, everyone is starving, missing family members...

They need help now not 30 days later.

On another note: I'll be in around the area at the end of the year and likely to be looking to do some volunteer work. I travel there many times each year as my SO's family are located there.
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:38:10 AM

Well, if you want to ensure that 90% of your funds do not go to the Philippines, then donate to the Red Cross.

And I really don't find Rassah to be all that trustworthy in an endeavor such as this.  Atheists typically don't do this sort of work (it's more often Christians who are unselfish), so I have to admit it's a strange choice for me to be sure.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:53:41 AM

Well, if you want to ensure that 90% of your funds do not go to the Philippines, then donate to the Red Cross.

And I really don't find Rassah to be all that trustworthy in an endeavor such as this.  Atheists typically don't do this sort of work (it's more often Christians who are unselfish), so I have to admit it's a strange choice for me to be sure.

You made me laugh. Religion haven't got anything to do with selfishness. Just because the religions have a loud propaganda it doesn't mean they operate that way or that normal people are selfish.
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 10:23:39 AM

You made me laugh. Religion haven't got anything to do with selfishness. Just because the religions have a loud propaganda it doesn't mean they operate that way or that normal people are selfish.

I support this initiative.  Please take the religious views to another thread and keep this one on topic.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4412

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:47:06 AM
Last edit: November 13, 2013, 02:08:56 PM by franky1

in a previous thread i mentioned that donating to the international HQ of red cross would mean alot of wasted funds dont reach Philippines. but i must emphasise that i mean the HQ bank account as oppose to the more local Philippine office bank account of red cross.

that being said i hope that Dabs has some insight into the local charities more involved in the front line supplies distribution, rather then the publicised fundraisers

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:05:45 PM

Wow. Okay, well USD 1 Million at current rates is about 2,668 BTC. (A bit less than the 3000 that someone dreamed of sending to me earlier this week.)

As for charities, I do not know of a single one that equally or fairly distributes supplies to the front line. Yes, they all do something, but as others have said, most of the money goes to other parts of the organization first, Red Cross being an example.

I may be biased, but, I can tell you from first hand experience, that one time, my unit got a 1 Million PHP donation from PCSO (Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office, the one that operates our state lotto system.) And all of that money went to food, medicines, supplies, etc. (I don't have all the receipts, and this happened about 2 or 3 years ago.) It took about a couple of months to finally use up all the funds. In that time frame, we had 2 or 3 activities, every week, all over the country.

So... ... ... there are several foundations here that work. They've all gotten donations in the millions of pesos already.

If you want to send it to an established entity, here are the top candidates:
1. Philippine Red Cross
2. BDO Foundation (Foundation of my bank, owned by the world's richest Filipino, Henry Sy. Google him.)
3. ABS-CBN Kapamilya Foundation
4. GMA Kapuso Foundation
5. Nu Skin Philippine's Force for Good Foundation (this is the one in my other thread that does the Feed The Children thing.)
6. Rotary Club of Ayala Alabang = This one is responsible for the Tuloy Sa Don Bosco foundation, which gets homeless children and puts them through school.

All of the above already get donations in the millions, yearly. They probably just got a few lump sums now, just watching the news. #3 and #4 have their own TV networks, so they like to brag that their numbers are climbing.

If you want to see something different, then send it to the Civil Military Affairs Brigade. It is a military reserve unit, under the Armed Forces of the Philippines Reserve Command, of which I am a part of, but they DO NOT GET any funding whatsoever from the government. NONE.

All members are volunteers, either professionals who have another job during weekdays (doctors, lawyers, accountants, dentists, businessmen) or are retired soldiers.

So the labor is free. The supplies are not.

They do not accept bitcoins directly, and the only person who knows about it, I'm guessing, is me.

I think, it ends up, if you pick my preferred organization, would you entrust Dabs with a million dollars?

I tell you what can happen if you do.

1. I fund all operations of the unit, logistics, gasoline, food, medicines, drugs, supplies, blankets, relief goods, any fees that have to be shouldered.
2. There will be a medical, dental, engineering or other civic affairs / public affairs mission every week (except for holidays.)
3. This amount of money will last, maybe 1 or 2 or 3 years of non-stop activities.
4. All the activities will result in greatly lessening or weakening the insurgents and pocket rebellions where ever we go.

If you want to see pictures of me in a few of those activities, visit my thread. I also posted another youtube link there. I've been doing this since about 2000-ish. Or about 13 years already. (I was the Corps Commander of my ROTC unit back in College.)

I did some googling, and found these others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL3zJRQXaMk
Youtube video of ABS-CBN TV capture, Disaster Relief Capability summary from Lieutenant Colonel Nathaniel Marquez, G3 or Operations Officer of the Brigade. He is also a businessman. The Brigade commander, with the rank of Captain (Philippine Navy) is a medical doctor who owns and runs his own hospital in Tarlac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_of_the_Philippines_Reserve_Command
Unit is listed there.

http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=29489.0
Forum thread that talks about the different reserve units doing civic action programs. CMAB is mentioned.

https://www.facebook.com/CMAUMandaluyong
Facebook page of Civil Military Affair Unit Mandaluyong City, under the same brigade. I personally know the commander of this unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5D7D2pqZTo
Something fun back in 2008. Before bitcoin existed. (Yes, that is my personal youtube channel. There is nothing there, although I have a slide show where I was one of the instructors for some practical martial arts training.)

There are also links there, I think in the facebook page that tells you how to donate directly to the unit. I'll have no control of the funds if you do that.

However, if I am allowed to handle it, I can make it last as long as I can, maybe a year or longer. Given to people as needed. (And if I may say so, without crashing the market by emptying the shelves of the supermarkets here.)

The unit has access to pharmacies where we get medicines at cost (below retail), and a commissary where we can get a lot of supplies without paying sales tax or value added tax. TAX FREE, or about 12% less that if you bought the exact same thing at the mall.

Worst case scenario, we can always buy the supplies from one of the bigger stores.

I'm the Executive Officer of the 1st CMAG (Group level), as well as a Psy-Ops Team Leader of CMAU Las Pinas. I also run the accounting department of a family owned business which has at least 180 full time employees: I push the buttons that distribute their salaries, you know, internet banking. I also sign the check payments of our major suppliers.

And if you send me the money, I have a platoon of highly trained soldiers who will protect it.

I also had a short discussion with my boss, that if this indeed happens, I will be allowed to leave my office once a week just to do this and make sure all the funds are spent where they should be spent.

I'd also like permission to use part of the money to buy our own ambulance. We can paint the side with the Bitcoin Foundation's logo or whatever. A few pick ups would also be nice. To load all the stuff we plan to give away.

Or you can send it all to the Philippine Red Cross.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 02:15:29 PM

That's a joke, right?

Personally, I'm really skeptical about this (give it a probability of 20%). Also, now that I know what this fund is for and how much it may hold, I'll have to create this vanity address on something other than Windows. Plus, do we really need a vanity address?
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:45:53 PM

Nope.

But 1TyphoonHaiyan looks better than 1xyzabc.

And don't diss Windows, hehehe. (offline anyway, right?)

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 05:01:39 PM

Nope.

But 1TyphoonHaiyan looks better than 1xyzabc.

And don't diss Windows, hehehe. (offline anyway, right?)

1TyphoonHaiyan would look awesome! In about 3 million years...
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 07:09:12 PM

Before I address the recent posts, I want to state that I've redacted the original Bitcoin wallet address since we can expect a dedicated wallet hashed by that atheist  Wink Rassah shortly. Zero bitcoins were donated to it while it was available.

~TMIBTCITW
LiLeilei

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:13:38 PM

Donate to World Food Programme, ultimately the best course of action is to physically volunteer over there, if you can.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 07:17:57 PM

Donate to World Food Programme, ultimately the best course of action is to physically volunteer over there, if you can.

I'll use Post #2 of this thread to list the various NPOs suggested so that they can be all viewed in one place. Thank you kindly, LiLeilei, for your input.

~TMIBTCITW
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 07:34:27 PM

I support this initiative.  Please take the religious views to another thread and keep this one on topic.

Thank you, doof.

FWIW,...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought

Freethought is a philosophical viewpoint that holds opinions should be formed on the basis of logic, reason, and empiricism, rather than authority, tradition, or other dogmas. The cognitive application of freethought is known as "freethinking", and practitioners of freethought are known as "freethinkers".

We all have different belief systems, and that shouldn't enter into the equation as to whom does what, or to where the endowment goes, albeit any religious organization is probably outta the question.

That said, there are Baptist who wouldn't donate to any Catholic causes, and versǽ visa.

To echo doof's post, we can take any religious concerns pertaining to this endeavor to another thread of which any member is welcome to open. This is not meant to diss ANY fellow Bitcoiner who has any concerns on this delicate issue.

~TMIBTCITW
windtilt

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:54:26 PM

Here are some more possibles - they were recommended by friends, I haven't done any
other due diligence.

International Rescue Committee
http://www.rescue.org/

Unicef Philippines
http://donate.unicef.ph/campaign/24/typhoon-yolanda-emergency-appeal

Gawad Kalinga
http://www.gk1world.com/typhoon-yolanda

Phil Red Cross (Probably more direct than other red cross orgs).
http://www.redcross.org.ph/donate
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:24:06 PM

That's a joke, right?

Personally, I'm really skeptical about this (give it a probability of 20%). Also, now that I know what this fund is for and how much it may hold, I'll have to create this vanity address on something other than Windows. Plus, do we really need a vanity address?

Where is Pinkie Pie when she's needed?  Grin

20%? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJNpxvdqd_o

We don't really need a vanity address, but any tiny edge could go a long way, especially when seen in press releases.

~TMIBTCITW
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: