Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:35:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help the bitcoin network by being a node.  (Read 20982 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:17:19 AM

I'm already trying to help with 5 nodes! Wink Great post

and i thought i was doing good with setting up 3!  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:17:35 AM

Little tip, start it with
Code:
screen bitcoind
You can then exit the session and leave it running.

Code:
nohup

is probably the better command.

As a relative N00B does "bitcoind daemon" achive similar to nohup? I just setup bitcoind and am noticing that once I loose my SSH the bitcoind stops.

So I just started with cranking up bitcoind daemon but am not 100% sure if it keeps chugging after I close SSH.

If nohup is the way to go is the command nohup bitcoind or bitcoind nohup or drill into some directory - fyi I have bitcoind running at root since I dont use this VPS or this bitcoind for anything other than helping out seeding....

Yes you have to include the full path to where your bitcoind bin is located, unless you are already in that directory.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:19:30 AM
Last edit: December 15, 2013, 02:46:00 AM by cypherdoc

here is a one-liner setup script!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1se3zd/how_to_create_a_full_bitcoin_node_in_a_5_ubuntu/

it runs in root, uses the Ubuntu PPA, opens up 8333, sets a firewall, and sets ssh port to default 22.

to upgrade bitcoind from time to time, run sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade.  make sure the new version is posted to the PPA first though by Matt Corrallo.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:24:03 AM

yes, it feels good:

Morblias

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:31:27 AM

That script is what I used, and damn it was awesome! Made it very fast to set up!

Feels very good!  Grin I modified the max connections though to 80 instead of 40.

I'm surprised how many old nodes there are out there. Update people!

Code:
bitcoind getpeerinfo|grep subver|sort|uniq -c|sort -n
      1         "subver" : "/BitCoinJ:0.10.1/MultiBit:0.5.14/",
      1         "subver" : "/BitCoinJ:0.10.3/Bitcoin Wallet:3.28/",
      1         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.0/",
      1         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.2.2/",
      1         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.4/Eligius:3/",
      1         "subver" : "/Snoopy:0.1/",
      2         "subver" : "",
      2         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.3/",
      2         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.99/",
      6         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.1/",
     16         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.6/",
     27         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.5/",

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:46:31 AM

That script is what I used, and damn it was awesome! Made it very fast to set up!

Feels very good!  Grin I modified the max connections though to 80 instead of 40.

I'm surprised how many old nodes there are out there. Update people!

Code:
bitcoind getpeerinfo|grep subver|sort|uniq -c|sort -n
      1         "subver" : "/BitCoinJ:0.10.1/MultiBit:0.5.14/",
      1         "subver" : "/BitCoinJ:0.10.3/Bitcoin Wallet:3.28/",
      1         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.0/",
      1         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.2.2/",
      1         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.4/Eligius:3/",
      1         "subver" : "/Snoopy:0.1/",
      2         "subver" : "",
      2         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.3/",
      2         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.99/",
      6         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.1/",
     16         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.6/",
     27         "subver" : "/Satoshi:0.8.5/",

command please to increase connections to 80?  Grin
Morblias

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

i use vim to edit files, so if you don't have it: sudo apt-get install vim. or use whatever file editor you like in linux.

Code:
cd ~/.bitcoin
vim bitcoin.conf
hit i in vim to insert, go down to line connections=40 and change it to 80
hit esc
type :wq to save
restart bitcoind

I'm not sure how well that would work on those 512 ram VPS in that reddit post though. I was using a 512 ram one and it was slow, so upgraded to 1GB ram.
Code:
cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        1019600 kB
MemFree:           71772 kB

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:57:16 AM

i use vim to edit files, so if you don't have it: sudo apt-get install vim. or use whatever file editor you like in linux.

Code:
cd ~/.bitcoin
vim bitcoin.conf
hit i in vim to insert, go down to line connections=40 and change it to 80
hit esc
type :wq to save
restart bitcoind

I'm not sure how well that would work on those 512 ram VPS in that reddit post though. I was using a 512 ram one and it was slow, so upgraded to 1GB ram.
Code:
cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        1019600 kB
MemFree:           71772 kB

make/made it 100!!!
casadebitcoin

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:07:32 PM

Code:
screen bitcoind

Code:
nohup

As a relative N00B does "bitcoind daemon" achive similar to nohup? I just setup bitcoind and am noticing that once I loose my SSH the bitcoind stops.

So I just started with cranking up bitcoind daemon but am not 100% sure if it keeps chugging after I close SSH.

If nohup is the way to go is the command nohup bitcoind or bitcoind nohup or drill into some directory - fyi I have bitcoind running at root since I dont use this VPS or this bitcoind for anything other than helping out seeding....
Yes you have to include the full path to where your bitcoind bin is located, unless you are already in that directory.

O.K., Cool - in root I run bitcoind -nohup and get "Bitcoin server starting.

Things run well for about 10-15 mins, (can get info from bitcoind getinfo, etc) then after about 15mins or so I get "error: couldn't connect to server"

I've also tried just running bitcoind and screen bitcoind and bitcoind -nohup - They all crank up bitcoind for about 15mins then the bitcoind server seems to die...

Any ideas thoughts on how to trouble shoot? (FYI - VPS, with bitcoind in root)

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:10:38 PM

Code:
screen bitcoind

Code:
nohup

O.K., Cool - in root I run bitcoind -nohup and get "Bitcoin server starting.

Things run well for about 10-15 mins, (can get info from bitcoind getinfo, etc) then after about 15mins or so I get "error: couldn't connect to server"

I've also tried just running bitcoind and screen bitcoind and bitcoind -nohup - They all crank up bitcoind for about 15mins then the bitcoind server seems to die...

Any ideas thoughts on how to trouble shoot? (FYI - VPS, with bitcoind in root)

Here run
Code:
nohup <bitcoin bin path> & 
bitcoinpsftp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:37:00 PM

Even if you didn't do this, just from buying the bitcoins, you are putting more money into the system.  So you are indeed helping it grow.  But I think it's more of a help if you were to go to one of those subways and pay via bitcoin.

iamphoenix

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:50:24 PM

ok so let me get this str8 /// if i just keep the wallet open on my computer, will it function as a node or please step by step if this is not the caseee

Get Daily Free SIGNs before too late. T6ZzzGAkxmSQDmeNUZPBf3pbD2ogiC2DDf

Myriadplatform.org
casadebitcoin

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:28:07 PM

ok so let me get this str8 /// if i just keep the wallet open on my computer, will it function as a node or please step by step if this is not the caseee

If you keep your wallet on your computer open you are 'Leeching' not "Seeding". Meaning that your Port 8333 is most likely not open for other nodes to see and seed from... Might not be a good idea to open up your client you have coins in:

You can follow a well done script to get a Seeding node up and running on a VPS if you have one or care to get one - they are reasonable priced.

here is a one-liner setup script!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1se3zd/how_to_create_a_full_bitcoin_node_in_a_5_ubuntu/

it runs in root, uses the Ubuntu PPA, opens up 8333, sets a firewall, and sets ssh port to default 22.

to upgrade bitcoind from time to time, run sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade.  make sure the new version is posted to the PPA first though by Matt Corrallo.

Then follow what Gweedo states for "NOHUP" to have your bitcoind autostart on reboots and when you close out of SSH.
bitcoinpsftp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:35:47 PM

The geek factor of bitcoins is so high I just realised.  There is still so much work to do so that the average consumer can finally feel comfortable workgin wtih BTC.  Then again, the mining operation of gold is also very complex, yet the consumer has no idea what goes on to find gold.  Can't wait for user friendly wallets to come out.

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:03:09 AM

Maybe someone can help me.  I'd like to run a full node, but, rather than using a VPS, I think I'd prefer to get a new machine for my home and leave it running 24 hours a day.  I'm not much of a computer hardware expert, so perhaps someone can offer me some advice.

Basically, I'd like a little box like a mac mini or pocket PC or something that I can just set-up (via my macbook) and then let it run 24 hours in my office.  Price is less of an issue than things like (a) it should be fairly easy to put this "box" together, (b) the box should be small and not an ugly mess, (c) ideally the box would be quiet (no fans, solid-state hard-drive?).

Can anyone recommend what hardware I should buy and what operating system I should run?  Any reason a mac mini running OSx would be a bad choice?

Thanks!

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:13:58 AM

Maybe someone can help me.  I'd like to run a full node, but, rather than using a VPS, I think I'd prefer to get a new machine for my home and leave it running 24 hours a day.  I'm not much of a computer expert, so perhaps someone can offer me some advice.

Basically, I'd like a little box like a mac mini or pocket PC or something that I can just set-up (via remote desktop with my macbook?) and then let it run 24 hours in my office.  Price is less of an issue than things like (a) it should be fairly easy to put this "box" together, (b) the box should be small and not an ugly mess, (c) ideally the box would be quiet (no fans, solid-state hard-drive?).

Can anyone recommend what hardware I should buy and what operating system I should run?  Any reason a mac mini running OSx would be a bad choice?

Thanks!

I love my mac mini, it is a great development server for me. You just can't run bitcoind on OSX. That means you either have to compile bitcoind for OSX on your own, or use bitcoin-qt binary, but other than that choice it is a great idea. I also would use http://synergy-foss.org/

Thanks for the reply gweedo.  Mac minis come standard with 4GB of RAM.  For running bitcoind, is there any major advantage to pay apple for the 8 or 16 GB upgrade? 

http://synergy-foss.org/ <== looks useful! thx

Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:16:35 AM

One more thing gweedo, what is the disadvantage of running the bitcoin-qt binary as opposed to compiling bitcoind for OSx?

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:19:32 AM

Maybe someone can help me.  I'd like to run a full node, but, rather than using a VPS, I think I'd prefer to get a new machine for my home and leave it running 24 hours a day.  I'm not much of a computer expert, so perhaps someone can offer me some advice.

Basically, I'd like a little box like a mac mini or pocket PC or something that I can just set-up (via remote desktop with my macbook?) and then let it run 24 hours in my office.  Price is less of an issue than things like (a) it should be fairly easy to put this "box" together, (b) the box should be small and not an ugly mess, (c) ideally the box would be quiet (no fans, solid-state hard-drive?).

Thanks!

I love my mac mini, it is a great development server for me. You just can't run bitcoind on OSX. That means you either have to compile bitcoind for OSX on your own, or use bitcoin-qt binary, but other than that choice it is a great idea. I also would use http://synergy-foss.org/

Thanks for the reply gweedo.  Mac minis come standard with 4GB of RAM.  For running bitcoind, is there any major advantage to pay apple for the 8 or 16 GB upgrade?  

http://synergy-foss.org/ <== looks useful! thx

Depends if you are going to just use it as a bitcoin node, then 4GBs will be pently. I would actually take the money from that and upgrade the hard drive or attach an external hard drive. Right now the Blockchain is about ~14gb+ so your memory will not be an issue but maybe hard drive space.

One more thing gweedo, what is the disadvantage of running the bitcoin-qt binary as opposed to compiling bitcoind for OSx?

They are the same, just one has a GUI and compiling bitcoind will take you awhile. I was just pointing it out. So you aren't running around looking for that binary, because it doesn't exist.
yenom

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:35:54 PM

I just created another full node with http://lowendbox.com/

Seems cheaper and better than digital ocean, but I'll keep the digital ocean one for now.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 01:46:26 PM

We don't really need more nodes, maybe ONLY IN third world countries acting like a cdn
Don't waste your money

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: