Bitcoin Forum
June 02, 2024, 07:22:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help the bitcoin network by being a node.  (Read 20982 times)
emeraldforce

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:59:22 PM

What about a p2pool node?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:53:04 PM

We don't really need more nodes, maybe ONLY IN third world countries acting like a cdn
Don't waste your money

this isn't true.

don't make me go find the link from Gavin and the other devs about this.  as the pools get larger and more centralized, these individual nodes help counter balance this.  there have been many graphs posted showing the #full nodes dropping over time as a result of this effect.
iamphoenix

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 11:08:17 PM

ok so let me get this str8 /// if i just keep the wallet open on my computer, will it function as a node or please step by step if this is not the caseee

If you keep your wallet on your computer open you are 'Leeching' not "Seeding". Meaning that your Port 8333 is most likely not open for other nodes to see and seed from... Might not be a good idea to open up your client you have coins in:

You can follow a well done script to get a Seeding node up and running on a VPS if you have one or care to get one - they are reasonable priced.

here is a one-liner setup script!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1se3zd/how_to_create_a_full_bitcoin_node_in_a_5_ubuntu/

it runs in root, uses the Ubuntu PPA, opens up 8333, sets a firewall, and sets ssh port to default 22.

to upgrade bitcoind from time to time, run sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade.  make sure the new version is posted to the PPA first though by Matt Corrallo.

Then follow what Gweedo states for "NOHUP" to have your bitcoind autostart on reboots and when you close out of SSH.

OK PLEASE NOOB STEP BY STEP PLEASE. also is this possible:

having my laptop open 24/7 using the wifi at my house functioning as a node without paying for VPN
i want to do this but someone has to make this lamen for me!

Get Daily Free SIGNs before too late. T6ZzzGAkxmSQDmeNUZPBf3pbD2ogiC2DDf

Myriadplatform.org
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 06:47:35 AM

ok so let me get this str8 /// if i just keep the wallet open on my computer, will it function as a node or please step by step if this is not the caseee

If you keep your wallet on your computer open you are 'Leeching' not "Seeding". Meaning that your Port 8333 is most likely not open for other nodes to see and seed from... Might not be a good idea to open up your client you have coins in:

You can follow a well done script to get a Seeding node up and running on a VPS if you have one or care to get one - they are reasonable priced.

here is a one-liner setup script!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1se3zd/how_to_create_a_full_bitcoin_node_in_a_5_ubuntu/

it runs in root, uses the Ubuntu PPA, opens up 8333, sets a firewall, and sets ssh port to default 22.

to upgrade bitcoind from time to time, run sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade.  make sure the new version is posted to the PPA first though by Matt Corrallo.

Then follow what Gweedo states for "NOHUP" to have your bitcoind autostart on reboots and when you close out of SSH.

OK PLEASE NOOB STEP BY STEP PLEASE. also is this possible:

having my laptop open 24/7 using the wifi at my house functioning as a node without paying for VPN
i want to do this but someone has to make this lamen for me!

Just open bitcoinqt

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 06:51:55 AM

We don't really need more nodes, maybe ONLY IN third world countries acting like a cdn
Don't waste your money

this isn't true.

don't make me go find the link from Gavin and the other devs about this.  as the pools get larger and more centralized, these individual nodes help counter balance this.  there have been many graphs posted showing the #full nodes dropping over time as a result of this effect.

Bought my mac mini today (to become a dedicated 24/7 bitcoin node).  Hopefully I'll have it set-up and running tomorrow.   

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Exther

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:29:19 PM

but by having bitcoin-qt on your computer you're a node as well right?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:02:10 PM

Yes

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:04:30 PM

I don't understand why all these problems, vps, mac etc.

Just get a pc, install bitcoin-qt, make sure the port 8333 is open in your router, check if you have more than 8 connections in bitcoin-qt and that's all. You are a full node. Why a vps for that? Do you want a dedicated machine? Just buy a cheap netbook/notebook/whatelse as long as it is cheap

Morblias

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:32:09 PM

Why a vps for that?

Faster internet connection, plus I use the VPS for other things. My ISP's upload speeds are pretty limited on my home network, so browsing stuff at work is a lot faster when I SSH tunnel into VPS instead of home network. I figured since I already have a VPS, I might as well throw a full bitcoin node on it Smiley

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
cunixion

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:34:10 PM

Thank you for running a node! I have a piece of crap Linux box at home that basically only runs a bitcoin node and TOR. It's not very exciting to look at, but I feel good contributing directly to these networks.

If you are maintaining wallets, this is the most secure way of running a node. A cloud or any type of hosting without locking facilities is risky.

Running a node with altruistic motives is not sustainable. At some point nodes are going to need some kind of reward to keep it up 24/7. Possible ways? maybe fees payed to node owners by users and miners, or modifying the code to be able to mine by the node with the cpu hashpower.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 06:38:54 PM

Running a node with altruistic motives is not sustainable. At some point nodes are going to need some kind of reward to keep it up 24/7.

I agree with this although I'd like to point out that some people will still regard the network as something important enough to spend some amount of money each month to support it, even when "some" is in the three digits.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 06:43:08 PM

only if you open port 8333 and establish >8 connections.
coinrevo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:07:47 PM

Good effort. I would suggest adding docker or packer, so that the tools are pre-build. I've build a docker bitcoind image (see projects section), which can be run in most cloud providers now.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:12:55 PM

Thank you for running a node! I have a piece of crap Linux box at home that basically only runs a bitcoin node and TOR. It's not very exciting to look at, but I feel good contributing directly to these networks.

If you are maintaining wallets, this is the most secure way of running a node. A cloud or any type of hosting without locking facilities is risky.

Running a node with altruistic motives is not sustainable. At some point nodes are going to need some kind of reward to keep it up 24/7. Possible ways? maybe fees payed to node owners by users and miners, or modifying the code to be able to mine by the node with the cpu hashpower.

Solo with a CPU and Bitcoin-Qt was the way all of us used to mine. lol

P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:18:37 PM

You mean like:
> bitcoind setgenerate 1

I'm a node for 18 or so hours a day Smiley
yenom

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:01:03 PM

I don't understand why all these problems, vps, mac etc.

Just get a pc, install bitcoin-qt, make sure the port 8333 is open in your router, check if you have more than 8 connections in bitcoin-qt and that's all. You are a full node. Why a vps for that? Do you want a dedicated machine? Just buy a cheap netbook/notebook/whatelse as long as it is cheap

Some reasons I use VPS:
I have limited bandwidth
I don't want to use my regular PC's resources as a bitcoin node when I'm using it for work
It's really cheap
I shut down my PC at night
I want to contribute something to the bitcoin network
iamphoenix

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:05:27 PM

how do i open port 8333, i connect to internet via wireless and cannot directly connect via ethernet as it is my landlords wireless network... help please,

Get Daily Free SIGNs before too late. T6ZzzGAkxmSQDmeNUZPBf3pbD2ogiC2DDf

Myriadplatform.org
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:43:09 PM

how do i open port 8333, i connect to internet via wireless and cannot directly connect via ethernet as it is my landlords wireless network... help please,

your landlord is unlikely to give you the password to his router so you probably won't be able to run a full node off your computer.

this is another reason some of us are choosing to use vps.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 03:33:29 AM

Doesn't it use upnp?

ScripterRon

Activity: 136
Merit: 120

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 02:50:58 PM

Doesn't it use upnp?
Yes, it does and is turned on by default in Bitcoin-Qt.  But uPnP has to be enabled by the router.  There is also a problem if more than one computer connected to the router wants to run a full-node, although that could be handled by changing the default port assignment.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: