Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:41:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you keep your mnemonic phrases?  (Read 1525 times)
merchantofzeny (OP)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 279

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 03:50:20 PM

OK, this would sound noobish but I'm interested to know how other people keep the mnemonic phrase generated by the wallet. I do have the wallets secured with a pw and backed up (still not enough to warrant a hardware wallet) but I also have the passphrases handwritten in paper (someone said be wary of printers) and stashed somewhere but I'm wondering if there's a better way to keep them.

I don't know any cryptography but I'm thinking of shuffling the words rather than writing them down in order. Like a 12x12 grid where I'd spread them out in certain patterns and then finished with filler words. Since it's no longer as straight-forward should anyone get their hands on it, I think it would finally be safer to keep digital copies of it. Any suggestions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jerwinn6

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 03:58:11 PM

To safely secured my personal data like mnemonic phrase, login username and password, 2fa secret code, I always created a google docs. And i compressed it through winrar with a strong password and saved to my usd flash drive. Thats how i safely secured my personal data. I hope it will help you Sir.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:02:59 PM

You could make your own sort of "encryption algorithm" just so if ever someone gets a glimpse over your seed, they wouldn't be able to steal your coins. Like, probably instead of writing your seed straight on, probably take a look at the word list and list the words above or under your seed words instead. This example is definitely not a good way to do it, but I hope you get the idea.

To safely secured my personal data like mnemonic phrase etc. I created a google docs. And i compressed it through winrar with a strong password and saved to my usd flash drive. Thats how i safely secured my personal data.
This is definitely a bad bad way of doing it.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
hutchdavidson

Activity: 32

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:03:15 PM

Ledger Nano 24 word phrase written on paper, laminated, stored in a safe in a secret closet in my house.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:06:54 PM
Merited by suchmoon (5)

OK, this would sound noobish but I'm interested to know how other people keep the mnemonic phrase generated by the wallet. I do have the wallets secured with a pw and backed up (still not enough to warrant a hardware wallet) but I also have the passphrases handwritten in paper (someone said be wary of printers) and stashed somewhere but I'm wondering if there's a better way to keep them.

I don't know any cryptography but I'm thinking of shuffling the words rather than writing them down in order. Like a 12x12 grid where I'd spread them out in certain patterns and then finished with filler words. Since it's no longer as straight-forward should anyone get their hands on it, I think it would finally be safer to keep digital copies of it. Any suggestions?

some people keep 11 of the 12(23 of the 24 dpending on which format of seed you use) as digital.. and the last word remains in your head/offline as the final access password

they also set up a completely different 12th(24th) word(as a surrogate) with just a few satoshi's on that seed phrase incase ever physically aproached by someone with a hammer or gun demanding the whole 12(24) words... you simply give the 11(23) normal words. plus the surrogate 12th(24th) word to get them to leave you alone saying its all you have... knowing it would only cost you a few lost sats to be left alone

then you can use the 11(23) words plus the main 12th(24th) word later to get to your real hoard

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cryptosec.info

Activity: 138
Merit: 74

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 04:11:47 PM
Last edit: April 15, 2018, 04:34:43 PM by cryptosec.info

Since other posters already suggested good ideas, I'd like to share one sort of "unorthodox" way of storing your mnemonic phrases.

Memorize it. Yes, you heard that right. A 12-word recovery seed is a lot easier to memorize that most people thought(though memorizing 24-word seed is still possible, just significantly harder). But I understand that this is definitely not for everyone.

NotYourKeys.org - Not Your Keys, Not Your Bitcoin.
-----
Join the Bitcointalk movement: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5292109
jerwinn6

Activity: 65

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:13:35 PM

You could make your own sort of "encryption algorithm" just so if ever someone gets a glimpse over your seed, they wouldn't be able to steal your coins. Like, probably instead of writing your seed straight on, probably take a look at the word list and list the words above or under your seed words instead. This example is definitely not a good way to do it, but I hope you get the idea.

To safely secured my personal data like mnemonic phrase etc. I created a google docs. And i compressed it through winrar with a strong password and saved to my usd flash drive. Thats how i safely secured my personal data.
This is definitely a bad bad way of doing it.

Thanks for the information Sir. I thought with that method i safely secured my data. So i need an extra careful with my personal data. From now on i will make my own encryption algorithm. Thanks for the i idea Sir. I will keep that in mind always.
soljal543

Activity: 163
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 04:15:41 PM

Since other posters already suggested good ideas, I'd like to share one sort of "unorthodox" way of storing your mnemonic phrases.

Memorize it. Yes, you heard that right. A 12-word recovery seed is a lot easier to memorize that most people thought(though memorizing 24-word seed is still possible, just significantly harder). But I understand that this is definitely not for anyone.
This is very wrong because you can easily forget it
vasrasus

Activity: 946
Merit: 500

Bcnex - The Ultimate Blockchain Trading Platform

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:18:41 PM

I always put it to my email. I save it in my drafts and applying some secret code to the phrase just like adding some letters on it so that if ever my email was hack. They will not use it since it was wrong and it is very hard to determine what is the character that it makes wrong. Trust me, No one can use it but just remember what and where do you put the additional character.

▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
       ▄████████▀████████▄
    ▄█████████▀   ▀█████████▄
   ████   ▄█▀       ▀█▄   ████
  █████ ▄▀    ▄▄▄▄▄    ▀▄ █████
 ██████▀   ▄███▀▀▀███▄   ▀██████
▐████▀    ██▀       ▀██    ▀████▌
████     ▐██         ██▌     ████
▐████▄    ██▄       ▄██    ▄████▌
 ██████▄   ▀███▄▄▄███▀   ▄██████
  █████ ▀▄    ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄▀ █████
   ████   ▀█▄       ▄█▀   ████
    ▀█████████▄   ▄█████████▀
       ▀████████▄████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████▀▀▀
.Bcnex.The Ultimate   ───2 Millions Orders/s───
Blockchain Trading Platform
..Follow us:..

▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄██████
              ▄▄▄█████▀▀████▌
        ▄▄▄████████▀ ▄██████
  ▄▄▄██████████▀▀  ▄███████▌
▀███████████▀   ▄██████████
   ▀▀▀███▀    ▄███████████▌
        █▌  ██████████████
        ▐█ ██████████████▌
         █████▀ ▀████████
          ██▀      ▀████▌
                      ▀▀

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

||
LINKEDIN
MEDIUM
REDDIT

▸  BUY NOW  ◂   
aakriti

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:25:12 PM

I keep my manamonic phrases by printing on paper and laminate it. All information about it is also mentioned on the page.
cryptosec.info

Activity: 138
Merit: 74

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 04:34:32 PM

Memorize it. Yes, you heard that right. A 12-word recovery seed is a lot easier to memorize that most people thought(though memorizing 24-word seed is still possible, just significantly harder). But I understand that this is definitely not for everyone.
This is very wrong because you can easily forget it

Hence the reason why I said "this is definitely not for everyone".

NotYourKeys.org - Not Your Keys, Not Your Bitcoin.
-----
Join the Bitcointalk movement: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5292109
Dapper

Activity: 560
Merit: 260

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:37:49 PM

Piece of paper in a safety deposit box.

sent from my X6
aoihs00

Activity: 700
Merit: 300

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:43:13 PM

You shuffling them? Really, I mean that could just make it worst if you dont remember the order later on and somewhere you will have to put the passphrase in line to capture it later on. I dont really think all these majors are necessary to make it more complicated in the first place. Just printing it and keeping it in your house safe somewhere can do the job mate! The printing or writing it down the old way is always golden one. Believe me it can stay untouched in your closet forever until storm doesn't fly away with your house. To be frank people just make it look like very sophisticated and it is not in the first place. Putting it on different storage's (digital one) can have risk of getting hacked, synched, destroyed etc. Better write it!
merchantofzeny (OP)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 279

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 05:04:42 PM

That's exactly what I thought of first but considering I don't know of a good way to do that, it'd probably very easy for them to find out. Which is why I think I'll end up with something more visual like the pattern key I use on my phone.

As someone who routinely forget passwords for sites and ending up having to have a reset request sent, this is definitely not for me.  Sad

they also set up a completely different 12th(24th) word(as a surrogate) with just a few satoshi's on that seed phrase incase ever physically aproached by someone with a hammer or gun demanding the whole 12(24) words... you simply give the 11(23) normal words. plus the surrogate 12th(24th) word to get them to leave you alone saying its all you have... knowing it would only cost you a few lost sats to be left alone

OK I'm noob when it comes to the tech side and I've only used Electrum and just go with standard setting and the seed it generates. Are you referring to the optional seed extension or are you talking about making a dummy wallet using the same seed as the main wallet save for the last word so that it would be easy for to memorize?
neo444

Activity: 434
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 05:05:59 PM

You can save your mnemonic phrases in document text and keep it protect by a program like WinSesame
Spazzer

Activity: 1079
Merit: 309

I love technology.

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 05:25:17 PM

I've always been a big supporter of memorizing the code and storing it on paper in several secure and safe locations.

I've also been following the idea of storing it via chip implant. The future?

PHYSIBIT, MANTIS CRYPTOS & CRYPTO QUILTS - The best and most trusted places to shop for physical bitcoins and more!!
CrystalPham

Activity: 128

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 05:29:48 PM

You should write a paper or store it in a safe place if you are afraid of theft. However, do not forget to put a password that you use regularly to avoid having to do it again.
mu_enrico
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 2142

Slots Enthusiast & Expert

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 05:30:35 PM

First of all, don't use Windows since it has the worst security.
Antonopoulos recommend to just use the easiest (and actually has the lowest failure rate), that is simply write it on paper and keep it in somewhere safe.
Don't be overly smart he said.

Other than that, use offline linux OS to keep the soft copy if you want.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Direwolve735

Activity: 448
Merit: 232

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 05:37:07 PM

To safely secured my personal data like mnemonic phrase, login username and password, 2fa secret code, I always created a google docs. And i compressed it through winrar with a strong password and saved to my usd flash drive. Thats how i safely secured my personal data. I hope it will help you Sir.

In my opinion, this is a very dangerous way of storing the information which is necessary to access your electronic wallets. Google documents are easy to crack: due to the cloud, they are synchronized on all devices where your account is open, so accessing this information becomes much easier. I adhere to the "old school" option - I store information about passwords, secret phrases and keys "on paper" - in several notebooks, which I have access only.
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 05:44:45 PM

i certainly prefer hard copies over digital ones. it is so much safer to have it written on a paper or even better etched on a metal or even wood rather than digitally which can be stolen or damaged.

(someone said be wary of printers)
this is a valid concern but also someone has to be looking for it in that temp memory to find it.
imagine you see this written on a wall in the street:
Code:
0C28FCA386C7A227600B2FE50B7CAE11EC86D3BF1FBE471BE89827E19D72AA1D
it looks like random data and you may just pass it but in fact it is a private key and it may contain 1000 bitcoin!
Code:
5HueCGU8rMjxEXxiPuD5BDku4MkFqeZyd4dZ1jvhTVqvbTLvyTJ

so your malware, thief or whatever has to know you printed a private key, look for it in your printer's memory, dump that memory and find the private key and steal your coins.

There is a FOMO brewing...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: