November 13, 2013, 03:13:05 PM
Last edit: December 21, 2020, 03:47:08 PM by jheesters

?
argov

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:56:58 PM

I recommand paper wallets because they are east to make. Just generate an address and private key on an offline computer (if possible via a live cd or usb), print it and send your bitcoins to the address.

Greetings

1JBwWnqwxGTtqchacyHuhdjWZhYYonBuDf and 19KXWjUZnNPatoMZoRiFMzJFWA7mxBRPX5
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 04:00:21 PM

Best if the offline computer *never* connects to the internet after you decide to use it create secure keys.

In this way you are safe from key logging viruses or the like.

(I actually bought an old laptop and got the WiFi card removed then blocked the ethernet and modem plugs to do just this)

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
wannasurf

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:03:09 PM

I used a chromebook, went to bitaddress.org, generated 7 keys, printed them, then take a picture of them for backup.

Then the trick is, should you send money to the addresses without really confirming the private key. I mean, it's gotta be almost zero chance that bitaddress.org would have a bug but suppose it did, you'd be screwed. So I used (again, probably not so smart) bitaddress.org in the wallet details section to confirm the private key. I didn't want to put that private key anywhere on the net like in a test wallet.

I should probably fire up some linux command to check the private key but I was lazy.
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:01:22 PM

I recommand paper wallets because they are east to make. Just generate an address and private key on an offline computer (if possible via a live cd or usb), print it and send your bitcoins to the address.
And what client do you recommend to generate the address, private key and wallet on the offline computer ? I'm a bit confused.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
jpesquire

Activity: 20

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:17:13 PM

Although I haven't put effort into implementing it yet, I have heard good things about Armory as well.

Until my balances reach a high enough level that I'm overly concerned about losing them, I'm using a USB drive with Multibit installed on a Truecrypt volume as my wallet.  I backed up the private keys to other encrypted volumes on other USB drives in case the primary one fails.  Seems to be working so far, but not the "ideal" solution.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this approach.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:26:25 PM

Seems to be working so far, but not the "ideal" solution.

Truth is, there's no ideal solution that'll be safe, practical, and easy for your offspring/spouse should something happen to you.

My suggestion is: add some paper to your mix.

marketorder

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:27:39 PM

How would you confirm the private key if the computer is offline? I would assume if you can successfully transfer your money into the public key then the private key is 100% legit!

I used a chromebook, went to bitaddress.org, generated 7 keys, printed them, then take a picture of them for backup.

Then the trick is, should you send money to the addresses without really confirming the private key. I mean, it's gotta be almost zero chance that bitaddress.org would have a bug but suppose it did, you'd be screwed. So I used (again, probably not so smart) bitaddress.org in the wallet details section to confirm the private key. I didn't want to put that private key anywhere on the net like in a test wallet.

I should probably fire up some linux command to check the private key but I was lazy.
fluidjax

Activity: 750
Merit: 601

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:35:04 PM

A fairly easy solution is to print out your private key, cut it in half and give each half to people you trust, such as half to your parents half to your best friend.
darkshadowgirl

Activity: 25

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:31:25 PM

Paper wallets are the way to go for long term large storage. I lock mine in a bank safe deposit box, no risk of fire, file corruption or theft. (i.e. savings account)

Local computer Multibit wallet for medium liquid storage. (i.e. checking account)

and I ONLY use online wallets for on the fly transactions I mean to make that day or week. (i.e. cash on hand,  purse/wallet cash)

Just like you don't walk around with 3K in your real wallet in your pocket right? Just cause you could get robbed or it could get lost.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 11:28:37 AM

Side note for those who want to create more elaborate schemes with improved theft/loss/collusion protection : use Shamir's shared secret sharing, available as the unix utility ssss.

lilbitz

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:24:00 PM

I found this security guide super helpful: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1pxy4w/basic_bitcoin_security_guide/

I use paper wallets in a fire-proof lock box.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:26:56 PM

Gold, it'll survive thousands of years. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: