Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:52:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 equilbria at work, btc prices must go upward as a result of competition.  (Read 783 times)
hazenyc (OP)

Activity: 668
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:56:39 PM

There is classical economic competition at work, only at a much faster pace than has been observed.

In order for bitcoin mining to have some profitable margin, the dollar price MUST increase to maintain that margin giving an accelerating difficulty in mining (accelerated by increase computing power being added to the network). Otherwise, it would become more profitable to buy a bitcoin outright than to mine for one. -- there are to equilibria at work -- one in the supply/demand side in the open marketplace where you can buy openly, but if the price goes too high as a result, mining then becomes more profitable keeping it afloat at an even higher level.. and so on.
In the phase where mining is most profitable, there will be an acceleration in the technological advance making mining faster and more efficient. Prices will go down for mining equipment, but as a consequence more and more machines will enter the mining force creating more computing power in the network which drives up difficulty in mining the next bitcoin. At some point miners skate the edge of profitability and it becomes prohibitive for a new miners to enter. New entrants thus are forced to buy a bitcoin from a seller in the marketplace. The sellers are those that were previously miners, who have inventory. The direct market buy forces will lower the supply of the sellers, and in driving the price of BTC up again will make mining profitable. And on it will go. Until the last bitcoin is mined. In which case who knows what might happen.

Ironically, Marx's (Das Kapital vol. I) theory of money is very congruous to what is going on right now..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Siegfried

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:11:42 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2013, 07:35:02 AM by Siegfried

There is classical economic competition at work, only at a much faster pace than has been observed.

In order for bitcoin mining to have some profitable margin, the dollar price MUST increase to maintain that margin giving an accelerating difficulty in mining (accelerated by increase computing power being added to the network). Otherwise, it would become more profitable to buy a bitcoin outright than to mine for one. -- there are to equilibria at work -- one in the supply/demand side in the open marketplace where you can buy openly, but if the price goes too high as a result, mining then becomes more profitable keeping it afloat at an even higher level.. and so on.
In the phase where mining is most profitable, there will be an acceleration in the technological advance making mining faster and more efficient. Prices will go down for mining equipment, but as a consequence more and more machines will enter the mining force creating more computing power in the network which drives up difficulty in mining the next bitcoin. At some point miners skate the edge of profitability and it becomes prohibitive for a new miners to enter. New entrants thus are forced to buy a bitcoin from a seller in the marketplace. The sellers are those that were previously miners, who have inventory. The direct market buy forces will lower the supply of the sellers, and in driving the price of BTC up again will make mining profitable. And on it will go. Until the last bitcoin is mined. In which case who knows what might happen.

Ironically, Marx's (Das Kapital vol. I) theory of money is very congruous to what is going on right now..

Das Kapital Vol. II is so under-appreciated.

hazenyc (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:01:44 AM

Das Kapital Vol. II is so under-appreciated.

And he was dead before Volume III was published.. poor guy..
hazenyc (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:22:17 AM

You just make one mistake : the miners don't "have to" earn money.
And by the way : they don't. (At least most of them - including me)

Well then, you, sir, are not a rational economic actor!  Angry

(this is why neo-classical theory is not the end-all-be-all of econ)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: