Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 05:05:21 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using old laptop for "cold storage"  (Read 143 times)
bitcoinbromo (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 09:06:18 PM

So I have an old laptop I want to dedicate to store coins that are not compatible with hardware wallets. The wifi card takes about 30 seconds to unhook, so the plan is get my wallets setup and leave the laptop offline until I want to sell/trade. I know this isn't the absolute most secure way but feel it is a good compromise of convenience and security (especially compared to just storing in wallet on gaming pc). Was wondering if anyone else is doing this and if so how they went about it as well as had a few questions.

1. Ubuntu or windows 7/10? I know there's a lot less malware out there for linux though I like the ability of windows to do full disk encryption and am also more familiar with windows.

2. Should I connect to the internet to update OS/download wallets after installing the OS and then go offline to setup wallets and backup private keys or should I get the wallets setup (transferred on thumb drive from potentially unsecure computer) and keys backed up before the laptop is ever connected to the internet and then go about updating the OS?
kingzpro

Activity: 756
Merit: 13

DIFX - Digital Finacial Exchange

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 09:07:31 PM

It may work out if its your private laptop and no one else has access to it, otherwise i will recommend you to use a physical wallet, they are more secure and personal.

Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 09:56:39 PM

So I have an old laptop I want to dedicate to store coins that are not compatible with hardware wallets. The wifi card takes about 30 seconds to unhook, so the plan is get my wallets setup and leave the laptop offline until I want to sell/trade. I know this isn't the absolute most secure way but feel it is a good compromise of convenience and security (especially compared to just storing in wallet on gaming pc). Was wondering if anyone else is doing this and if so how they went about it as well as had a few questions.

1. Ubuntu or windows 7/10? I know there's a lot less malware out there for linux though I like the ability of windows to do full disk encryption and am also more familiar with windows.

2. Should I connect to the internet to update OS/download wallets after installing the OS and then go offline to setup wallets and backup private keys or should I get the wallets setup (transferred on thumb drive from potentially unsecure computer) and keys backed up before the laptop is ever connected to the internet and then go about updating the OS?

This is okay for what you describe.  However, you need to back your wallets up and keep them safe.  Anything could happen to that laptop and the last thing you want to do is to lose your coins.  Also, sync your wallets as often as possible.  You don't want to have to wait forever if you do need to send.
Melfoy72

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

Taklimakan Network : Business Platform for Crypto

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 10:03:05 PM

I think it's good idea even for usual crypto for those who hasn't modern hardware wallets.
But it strongly recommended to upgrade your HDD or SSD.
Then reinstall clean OS and antimalware.... and you sholdn't connect it to web
Many wallets provide off-line signatures. MEW for example.

bitcoinbromo (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 10:27:15 PM

I think it's good idea even for usual crypto for those who hasn't modern hardware wallets.
But it strongly recommended to upgrade your HDD or SSD.
Then reinstall clean OS and antimalware.... and you sholdn't connect it to web
Many wallets provide off-line signatures. MEW for example.

Why do you say to upgrade the hdd and what do you mean by provides offline signatures?

Is it really better to copy a copy of the wallet downloaded from a potentially infected computer/thumb drive to the offline pc than just go online to download directly from github?
uszaty43

Activity: 849
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 10:28:13 PM

It may work out if its your private laptop and no one else has access to it, otherwise i will recommend you to use a physical wallet, they are more secure and personal.

Yeah, but he is using an "old" laptop.

What if his old laptop is infected with a rat? or any other shit that maybe can compromise his bitcoins/coins that he is going to store?

I would prefer to spend $100 and buy a ledger wallet.
bitcoinbromo (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 10:36:31 PM

What if his old laptop is infected with a rat? or any other shit that maybe can compromise his bitcoins/coins that he is going to store?

I own a ledger, though most newer coins are not supported (bitcoin private and ravencoin for example).
sandor111

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2018, 10:40:52 PM

If you format hard disk of that laptop and freshly install operating system, then there will not be any malware or viruses. Some coins don't have wallets for Ubuntu. But if you have such coins that are compatible with Ubuntu, I would choose it over Windows.

VanDeinsberg12

Activity: 1540
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 10:42:49 PM

If you are not familiar with ubutn and you could use windows to make yourself will be more easily to control your fund. Remember never try to clicking any suspicious link or malware. I use windows and i'm about that never get any problem with it.

2 I guess you should never updating your OS for me it's better for you to upgrade your anti virus rather than updating your OS. Anti virus has an important role to prevent malware.

.......[url]CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS...........[URL].....►  C O M I N G   S O O N.....
cesarzgamer

Activity: 209
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 10:54:27 PM

You can do as you said. But if you are not familiar with ubuntu then use windows it's much easier to use than ubuntu. Windows 7 use less RAM than windows 10 so it will work better on older laptops. And about coins, you have to remember to backup them and i think you will be safe.
Nalbo

Activity: 870
Merit: 125

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 08:11:53 AM

Yes, using the best suited wallet would be good. Than go offline to create your private key and wallet and transfer the coins to it from a connected computer. You don't even need to sync at all if you have sent it to the correct address.
Captainluffy24

Activity: 197

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 10:22:18 AM

You mentioned that this is an old laptop so I'm not so sure if this is really safe because once this is damaged tendency is to lose all of your coins but this will surely work. For me, I'm using mini computers as my storage because these operates under low voltage so I'm sure that this is not easily damaged and also i'm using a memory card serves like the hard drive of this so I have numbers of backup.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: