Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:02:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A little help and clarification please?  (Read 743 times)
Hughra (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:50:19 PM

Ive searched throughout the forum and I am confused as to what I need to use for my application development.

Background: I am developing an application that requires each user to have a separate address.

I have installed bitcoind, and downloaded the block chain. I am using ubuntu server with the bitcoin ppa. I come across two services, bitcoind and bit coin-qt. Im confused as to what each does. Is it possible to generate address soly with bitcoind? I understand that bitcoind is strictly for use with the RPC? How would one generate an address using the rpc and bitcoin-qt

Please do not be harsh, I am completely new to bitcoind development.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4186
Merit: 8421

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 06:47:35 PM

Colliding with yourself is uninteresting, so you actually don't want the birthday problem formula.  There can currently never be more than 21e14 addresses with things assigned to them. Best (for the attacker) case probability of a hit is 2.1e15/2^160 ≈ 1.4e-33 per attempt.
Hughra (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:57:12 PM

huh?
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 07:14:53 PM

huh?

If you're generating addresses with proper entropy, the sun will burn out before the chance of a collision is greater than winning the MegaMillions lottery 3 times in a row (approximately).  In other words, it's a waste of time to worry about it.

However, as I reread your original post, gmaxwell may have misread your question and thought you were asking about collisions.  It doesn't look like you were, so that may be an irrelevant response (unless you modified your post since then).

bitcoind is the base Bitcoin engine.  Bitcoin-Qt is simply bitcoind with a graphical user interface.  For the purposes of building a webservice, they are nearly identical in functionality, though you'll want to use bitcoind since your web service doesn't require a GUI.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:29:07 PM

huh?

If you're generating addresses with proper entropy, the sun will burn out before the chance of a collision is greater than winning the MegaMillions lottery 3 times in a row (approximately).  In other words, it's a waste of time to worry about it.

However, as I reread your original post, gmaxwell may have misread your question and thought you were asking about collisions.  It doesn't look like you were, so that may be an irrelevant response (unless you modified your post since then).

bitcoind is the base Bitcoin engine.  Bitcoin-Qt is simply bitcoind with a graphical user interface.  For the purposes of building a webservice, they are nearly identical in functionality, though you'll want to use bitcoind since your web service doesn't require a GUI.

With all the mention of collisions, in regards to OP's question, are you trying to say to that it doesn't matter what way he/she decides to generate the addresses? That any (proper) solution for generating addresses will do.. such as www.bitaddress.org or even VanityGen. He/she would then just have to use the 'importprivkey' with bitcoind to use them. Correct?

Hughra (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:44:21 PM

Im essentially asking how to generate an address
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 07:47:43 PM

Im essential asking how to generate an address

A list of all bitcoind API calls can be found here :
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_calls_list

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Hughra (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:59:20 PM

so what is the difference between bitcoind and qt
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 09:02:53 PM

Read my first post in this thread.

Hughra (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:12:35 PM

Read my first post in this thread.

oops missed it. Thank you for your help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: