Bitcoin Forum
May 31, 2024, 12:10:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Scammed by Coinbase :/  (Read 1308 times)
almostmike

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:11:39 PM

They haven't done this to "instant" buyers, only delayed, correct?
Instant buyers get coin instantly.

In a perfect world, yes. With Coinbase, not always.

As I noted above, I'm Level-2, fully verified, and my "Instant Buys" this past weekend were still canceled as "high risk."

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:10:30 PM

The most I've spent on Coinbase at a single time was about $9,000 and it went through fine (delayed). I also bought about $4,000 in another transaction (instant) and it went through fine.

Maybe it also depends what bank you're using? or how long you've had your coinbase account? If you're comfortable answering these 2 questions online maybe we can figure out what's going on, like if there are specific banks that are constantly having problems getting Coinbase to accept them, etc.
BitcoinCrystalBallTrader

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 08:24:38 PM

I've never bought through them yet, but do they promise a price when you send the funds, or do the funds end up in your account (MtGOx style), then you use those funds to make market or limit order purchases?

Then I don't understand why they would have a high-risk cancellation at all?

~BCBT~
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 08:54:15 PM

Online wallets are turning out to be a horrific experience. It's better to create wallets with desktop clients and stay low-key.
 Just my .02BTC
Smiley

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
lilbitz

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 08:58:49 PM

I'm instant verified, have made several trades, and I've never had a problem. Is it possible that your bank could be flagging the transactions as high risk and CB is just reacting to that?

One suggestion for folks who are having this problem and haven't received a response from CB support: consider posting your experience on Reddit. I've noticed several users who have posted about these problems get the attention of CB staff who watch BTC subreddits. At least it's worth a shot.

Here are a couple of recent examples:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1pwbk9/coinbase_support_is_nonexistent_when_a_problem/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qha4e/coinbase_order_cancelled_because_i_was_considered/

Good luck!

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:04:57 PM

Is it possible that your bank could be flagging the transactions as high risk and CB is just reacting to that?

Yeah I was thinking that too. If most of your transaction activity is $5 payments to Pizza Hut, and then Coinbase tries to pull $20,000 from your account, your bank is going to flag it. Also a lot of US banks don't allow you to wire more than a $x,xxx without you physically being at the bank, so you could check if that's the reason - the transfer will appear to initiate in Coinbase but then your bank will block it.
Nik1ab

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:05:36 PM

Why does everyone still ignore us when we say "don't fucking use web wallets"?  Huh

No signature ad here, because their conditions have become annoying.

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:17:42 PM

Why does everyone still ignore us when we say "don't fucking use web wallets"?  Huh

Speaking as a bitcoin noob, if we don't use Coinbase, what better way is there to buy bitcoin with USD? Coinbase seems like the best/easiest solution.
MaxBTC1

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 10:22:57 PM

Why don't my friends west of the river use BTC-e? As a brit it seems like the most obvious choice for anyone with access to USD.
BarkinTree

Activity: 204

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:25:57 PM

Speaking as a bitcoin noob, if we don't use Coinbase, what better way is there to buy bitcoin with USD? Coinbase seems like the best/easiest solution.
if you can trade p2p, do that. check the marketplace for offers. localbitcoins too. if i wanted money on an exchange, i would do it p2p. personally, if i had to fund an exchange conventionally (bank wire, etc), i would do it knowing that my funds would not be available until received/cleared. these "high risk" cancellations are happening far too often.

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:01:35 PM

Why don't my friends west of the river use BTC-e? As a brit it seems like the most obvious choice for anyone with access to USD.

I tried using BTC-e and it was virtually impossible to get USD into the account. The info provided on their site for US wires is incorrect and US banks don't accept it. So when I wanted to buy LTC on BTC-e, I bought BTC on Coinbase instant then immediately transferred the BTC to BTC-e and traded it for LTC ... which sort of makes BTC-e quite useless for us Americans.
BarkinTree

Activity: 204

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:21:02 PM

I tried using BTC-e and it was virtually impossible to get USD into the account. The info provided on their site for US wires is incorrect and US banks don't accept it. So when I wanted to buy LTC on BTC-e, I bought BTC on Coinbase instant then immediately transferred the BTC to BTC-e and traded it for LTC ... which sort of makes BTC-e quite useless for us Americans.
i guess i just come from a different perspective. when i first started investing in crypto, i never attempted to fund an account conventionally. all those payment processor services come off SUPER shady. i would never touch them. cash is king -- teller deposit or cash in hand <-> bitcoin or btc-e code! there are so many people looking to buy and sell p2p, why do it any other way?

of course, if you want to market buy $20k, you may need a bank wire......
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: