Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:57:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ian Balina's wallet has been hacked. Tokens for almost 2 million $ were stolen  (Read 208 times)
vitruvio (OP)

Activity: 850
Merit: 331

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 09:29:13 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/8clo9b/ian_balina_hacked/
I think that people like Ian Balina understand security issues and do not leave their private keys. And still it happens. You have to be very careful

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btccrusher

Activity: 742
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2018, 09:37:11 AM

Ian already explained that how he got hacked. He shouldn't keep the keys in Evernote as it's an online platform. It is always advised to keep keys, passwords in offline version. His ignorance is the fact here to get hacked, another mistake was not to change the recovery email, which he doesn't have control.
dpui98

Activity: 118
Merit: 1

SEELE- Blockchain 4.0

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 09:47:44 AM

Ok this is scary... I have hardware wallet but too lazy to use... guess I need to change my mind now...

SEELE Blockchain 4.0
JOIN US - http://seele.pro
vitruvio (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 10:00:25 AM

Ian already explained that how he got hacked. He shouldn't keep the keys in Evernote as it's an online platform. It is always advised to keep keys, passwords in offline version. His ignorance is the fact here to get hacked, another mistake was not to change the recovery email, which he doesn't have control.

Oh really? I didn't know about this.
It will be good leson for everyone
I use Evernote too but don't use for private keys
vitruvio (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 10:15:54 AM

Ok this is scary... I have hardware wallet but too lazy to use... guess I need to change my mind now...

If you don't use hardware wallet you can give it to me  Grin Grin Grin
And if without jokes of course begin to use! Today Security is very important
Yudhisthir

Activity: 1038
Merit: 103

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 10:22:25 AM

The best way is to encrypt your private keys before uploading it to an online platform. Its even better to divide it between two of them.
Though offline saving of private keys is the best but it's very difficult to use.
DikkieD

Activity: 560
Merit: 22

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 10:26:53 AM

Not a big fan of the guy, but this is very sad, even if he himself is at fault. This is hard earned crypto money. Will he be able to recover this? Even if they would fine the Kucoin user, is there a way to 'catch' him?

batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2968
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 10:28:30 AM

I don't know who is this Ian Balina. Is he popular or what his career?
I have read and I have no idea what is that Evernote but that's the major lesson for people who are in crypto. Keeping your private keys on any cloud storage is definitely a bad move.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 10:32:16 AM

It's completely his fault to keep his privatekey in the cloud storage which it is not recommeded way to do. So he must try to forgive it just like a charity to the hacker and this gives another good lesson for us never try to save our important data in the cloud storage.
bramgg.crypto

Activity: 194
Merit: 10

Grow with the flow.

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 10:33:54 AM

I think it's a bit ironic that someone who is invested that much into crypto is hacked this way. How can you not secure your funds with the highest security possible? Keeping your private keys in Evernote is just down right stupid. I don't even trust my private keys in a password manager which is far more secure than something like Evernote. Just buy a couple of USB thumbsticks, put something like veracrypt on there make a double container with 30 character passwords en put the private keys there. Hide the thumbsticks on different places. Not that this method is bulletproof, nothing is. But I do think this is a far better solution than just saving the keys on an online service and hope for the best. Especially someone like Ian Balina who is a well known person in the crypto world and has a lot of people following him with the knowledge of how crypto wealthy he is. His method is just ignorant and excuse me for saying, but Ian just had it coming for being this ignorant with his funds. Nobody deserves this kind of robbery, but if he did care about his security a bit more it would not have happened.
Xioma

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 10:34:50 AM

Apparently he lost about $2M, that's crazy.

But what 's even more crazy is that he encrypted his private keys with passwords that could be reset?

Also, evernote, REALLY?
vitruvio (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 11:51:12 AM

It's completely his fault to keep his privatekey in the cloud storage which it is not recommeded way to do. So he must try to forgive it just like a charity to the hacker and this gives another good lesson for us never try to save our important data in the cloud storage.

I agree. Evernote is really very convinient service but not for private keys.
I think he will return (earn again) his money, and this will be a good lesson for all
vitruvio (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 11:53:48 AM

I don't know who is this Ian Balina. Is he popular or what his career?
I have read and I have no idea what is that Evernote but that's the major lesson for people who are in crypto. Keeping your private keys on any cloud storage is definitely a bad move.

Honestly, Evernote is very good servise for notes and not only. I using it with plesuare
But of course not for private keys
vitruvio (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 11:55:15 AM

Apparently he lost about $2M, that's crazy.

But what 's even more crazy is that he encrypted his private keys with passwords that could be reset?

Also, evernote, REALLY?

All people make mistakes. I think maybe he did not encrypt his keys at all
It will be good lesson
AshCoins

Activity: 336
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 02:04:17 PM

That’s pretty reckless.  The guy must have a lot of $$$ in crypto.  I got peanuts and I’m afraid to even use Metamask because I don’t want my keys stored anywhere on or near a computer or cloud. 
vitlk

Activity: 79
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2018, 02:07:54 PM

Is it possible that this is an imposition so as not to pay taxes? sorry if it is not. a lesson for all of us
lizardbtc

Activity: 448
Merit: 109

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 02:12:45 PM

And then when you think that some people on youtube will even advise you to email to yourself your seed/keys or keep it somewhere in the clud. When something like this happens it doesn't suck, you are fully resposible for not taking the time to do proper research and keep your private keys offline. Heck even if you encrypt and later upload your encrypted keys could have low amount of characters and make it easy for somebpdy else to brute force.
gabum19

Activity: 224
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 02:14:43 PM

Im not familiar with Ian but i was a bad issue for him, all of his hardworks of gain are just click by a second. Let us ve safe everyone no one is perfect if we securing all of our secrets. Hope this will not be happened anymore, it will be the lesson for all of us. Keep safe.
bigdude

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

Dolphins Finance TRUSTED FINANCE

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 03:34:18 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/8clo9b/ian_balina_hacked/
I think that people like Ian Balina understand security issues and do not leave their private keys. And still it happens. You have to be very careful
Do you believe on this story?
He he IBM technical guy and I guess he know and understand more than many other people in this crypto world about securiy
how can he store his private key on Evernote? lol that's nonsense and smell fishy.
i'm not anti fan of this guy but with huge money like that do you just use only MEW with private key? lol
with my 5 cents ideas that he's lying to avoid taxes

vitruvio (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 10:22:47 AM

That’s pretty reckless.  The guy must have a lot of $$$ in crypto.  I got peanuts and I’m afraid to even use Metamask because I don’t want my keys stored anywhere on or near a computer or cloud. 

Yes I was surprised when I found out about this story.
I thank tha Ian Balina is more careful in this theme
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: