Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:50:45 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling - 2011/11/18 error cas coin  (Read 2616 times)
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:25:32 PM
Last edit: May 27, 2014, 11:10:46 PM by Mushroomized

http://blockchain.info/fb/1apcz5
Hey buy this! Gimme offers now!!
DO IT KID

hi
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:17:17 PM

toot

hi
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:18:31 PM

I'll give you 2 BTC.

I can't really tell what condition its in from your pictures, so I'm going to assume the worst.
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:36:28 PM

I'll give you 2 BTC.

I can't really tell what condition its in from your pictures, so I'm going to assume the worst.

do you have any suggestions on how to take better pictures? the condition is fine. Maybe ill use the scanner

hi
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:39:00 PM

I'll give you 2 BTC.

do you have any suggestions on how to take better pictures? the condition is fine. Maybe ill use the scanner
Scanner might work.

My three biggest concerns:
1) Dents/dings on the coin, especially around the exterior.
2) Tarnish on the coin from being handled without gloves.
3) Dirt/dust accumulation on the inside edge of the coin.

So, I'd want pictures that can show me how much of each of those are a problem.  I bet a scanner would show 1 and 3 well at high resolution, but not 2.  Tarnish is difficult to get a good picture of, especially if you don't know what to look for.
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:44:40 PM

I'll give you 2 BTC.

Scanner might work.

My three biggest concerns:
1) Dents/dings on the coin, especially around the exterior.
2) Tarnish on the coin from being handled without gloves.
3) Dirt/dust accumulation on the inside edge of the coin.

So, I'd want pictures that can show me how much of each of those are a problem.  I bet a scanner would show 1 and 3 well at high resolution, but not 2.  Tarnish is difficult to get a good picture of, especially if you don't know what to look for.

Sure thing, ill try to take some pics later. I've handled it without gloves only a few times (stupid me), but mainly it sits in a case on my shelf.

Its not perfect, but its O.K.

ty for what to look for in the pics

hi
dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2227
Merit: 1057

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:41:29 PM

put it up for auction, let the open market decide Smiley

space for rent, shilling for sats
dozerz
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 08:03:03 AM

probably between 3-4 btc from your pictures.

i would suggest polishing it up and using the macro mode on your camera to get some better shots. for big prices send it off to anacs and you could get double that.

ixne

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 01:23:41 PM

for big prices send it off to anacs and you could get double that.

I agree. ANACS grading costs somewhere around $50, you'd easily get that back on sale, especially as all these questions about condition have now tainted your sale to some degree.
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:13:15 AM

i would suggest polishing it up and using the macro mode on your camera to get some better shots. for big prices send it off to anacs and you could get double that.
Hey thanks!
for big prices send it off to anacs and you could get double that.

I agree. ANACS grading costs somewhere around $50, you'd easily get that back on sale, especially as all these questions about condition have now tainted your sale to some degree.
Haha, well yeah- i just wanted to be sure i could describe the condition properly! I don't want to rip anyone off

hi
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:47:42 AM

i kind of just wanted to know what its worth, to be honest, and depending on that i might sell it

otherwise i want to learn how to preserve it etc
The most that an ungraded S1 2011 has sold for is 4.5, so I guess you could use that as an upper limit.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 03:38:10 PM

i kind of just wanted to know what its worth, to be honest, and depending on that i might sell it

otherwise i want to learn how to preserve it etc
The most that an ungraded S1 2011 has sold for is 4.5, so I guess you could use that as an upper limit.

No, I sold 4 so far at 5 BTC.  All ungraded. 

scotjam

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 04:06:29 PM

DON'T DO THIS

See:
One last thing. Do not buy this coin with the intention of cleaning it! (If you're highly experienced, know the risk you are assuming, and use non-damaging methods, suit yourself.)  A tragic and common mistake new investors make is thinking "Oh, I can make this look nicer, and improve the value of the coin."  The act of polishing, scrubbing, or wiping a coin has a very high chance of creating new scratches on the coin.  At best, that will reduce its grade.  More often, these marks provide a telltale sign of a cleaned coin. From that point on, the coin will not be gradable, and its future value capped.
-Chainsaw
(original thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=336687.0)
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 04:22:08 PM

DON'T DO THIS

See:
One last thing. Do not buy this coin with the intention of cleaning it! (If you're highly experienced, know the risk you are assuming, and use non-damaging methods, suit yourself.)  A tragic and common mistake new investors make is thinking "Oh, I can make this look nicer, and improve the value of the coin."  The act of polishing, scrubbing, or wiping a coin has a very high chance of creating new scratches on the coin.  At best, that will reduce its grade.  More often, these marks provide a telltale sign of a cleaned coin. From that point on, the coin will not be gradable, and its future value capped.
-Chainsaw
(original thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=336687.0)

good thing i dfidnt yet!

hi
dozerz
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 07:08:59 PM

as with almost all numismatic coins you should never clean them. however i understand even mike caldwell suggests some brasso to help shine these up. if sales are anything to go by then shiny and cleaner versions fetch higher prices and if done carefully and correctly should not damage or mark the coin.

scotjam

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:25:28 AM

as with almost all numismatic coins you should never clean them. however i understand even mike caldwell suggests some brasso to help shine these up. if sales are anything to go by then shiny and cleaner versions fetch higher prices and if done carefully and correctly should not damage or mark the coin.

I don't know about casascius coins in general, but the quote above relates to holo error coins in particular and is from the OP of the holo error coin marketplace thread. His argument is that once it has been cleaned (by a non expert) this will leave evidence and either it will be graded lower or you cannot get it graded. Higher graded coins are worth more.

Mike probably is being down to earth and practical. Coin collectors / graders seem to be less practical / more obsessive Smiley

scotjam
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 02:26:15 AM

i still have this btw

hi
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 10:55:12 PM

open to offeres

hi
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:26:51 PM

HOLY SHIT WOW

hi
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 01:20:25 AM

this coin has sentimental value to me, one time i asked it if i should study for finals, i got tails so I didnt and i got a b

hi
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: