Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:57:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-13 CNN: Donate to typhoon victims ... with Bitcoin  (Read 1297 times)
Arvicco (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 10:53:13 PM

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/13/investing/bitcoins-philippines-typhoon-donations/index.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:00:57 AM

That's amazing!  I think this is one of the main advantages of Bitcoins. If large corporations like the Red Cross jumped on the bandwagggon it can put a huge push for it.

I wonder if the FBI will donate some of its btCs lol

bitboyben

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:23:27 AM

Glad to see!

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:08:27 AM

14 BTC already! If it gets to 225 BTC then it will be larger than the donation made by the Chinese government.

lumierre

Activity: 862
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:31:19 PM

Donated some. Now it's 45 BTC.  Grin

CDEX-CROSS-CHAIN DECENTRALIZED EXCHANGE PLATFORM
TOKENS FOR BITCOINTALK USERS FOR SIGNATURES! ANN TREAD ! WHITEPAPER ! LITEPAPER !
TheD1ceMan

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:34:49 PM

Donated some. Now it's 45 BTC.  Grin

great to see that there are some memers that are willing to help, you rock!

i sincerely hope that some of the whales on this forum will contribute as well. a lot of the members own several hundred or thousand BTC. it's a shame to see that so far you were the only one that shared a bigger amount of his new gained wealth with those poor people. of course it's great to see that others (maybe with lighter wallest) also donated.

what bothers me: if you literally become rich almost over night and don't even bother to spend a few (hundred- in case you own thousands) coins that makes you quite the asshole in my book- pardon my french. so all you new millionaires out there- please think about how much of a difference a donation would make and you will still be very, very wealthy.
for all the greedy idiots that only seem to care about their own wealth: at least think about the positive press for BTC it will generate.

sorry for my rant but as someone who owns less than 3 BTC and donated almost 10% of it this really puts me off.

edit:typos

If you want to buy my a beer: 1C63v2YbqMmt6hb1EqxouaVxheCt1fBTBa
djalexr

Activity: 104

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:38:24 PM

i sincerely hope that some of the whales on this forum will contribute as well. a lot of the members own several hundred or thousand BTC. it's a shame to see that so far you were the only one that shared a bigger amount of his new gained wealth with those poor people. of course it's great to see that others (maybe with lighter wallest) also donated.

what bothers me: if you literally become rich almost over night and don't even bother to spend a few (hundred- in case you won thousands) coins that makes you quite the asshole in my book- pardon my french. so all you new millionaires out there- please think about how much of a difference a donation would make and you will still be very, very wealthy.
for all the greedy idiots that only seem to care about theirown wealth: at least think about the positive press for BTC it will generate.

sorry for my rant but as someone who owns less than 3 BTC and donated almost 10% of it this really puts me off.

+1 well said!

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:58:33 PM

I love all these donations being set up in bitcoin ... Ive seen several projects for people in africa & now the typhoon to their redcross... but I cant also help but be skeptical at the same time. How do we know as bitcoin users that our btc is actually getting to said agencies, in this case the Philippines red cross?

Sure, this looks nice and sincere: https://bitme.com/donate

And theres obvious proof of the 45 coins at the stated address...

But I would like to see evidence of the actual arrangement between Philippines red cross & bitme.com

Cuz afaik, bitme could just take the btc and cash it in for themselves...correct me if Im wrong...

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:10:27 PM

I just donated something too

djalexr

Activity: 104

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:28:39 AM

Cuz afaik, bitme could just take the btc and cash it in for themselves...correct me if Im wrong...

Not wrong, but would be an unbelievably evil thing to do...not saying its impossible, but at least they are putting their exchange brand name next to it.

It should be easy enough for anyone to check with the Red Cross at the end of the month if they actually received any of the donations - I personally don't think in this case they are planning on doing a runner

applelover

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:18:34 AM

what bothers me: if you literally become rich almost over night and don't even bother to spend a few (hundred- in case you own thousands) coins that makes you quite the asshole in my book- pardon my french. so all you new millionaires out there- please think about how much of a difference a donation would make and you will still be very, very wealthy.
for all the greedy idiots that only seem to care about their own wealth: at least think about the positive press for BTC it will generate.

diceman, how much did you donate?
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 04:59:22 AM

diceman, how much did you donate?

... the answers in what you quoted... 10% of his less than 3 BTCs so call it .3 BTC or $150?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
TheD1ceMan

Activity: 84

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 05:01:33 AM

roughly 10% of my stash of a little less than 3BTC

If you want to buy my a beer: 1C63v2YbqMmt6hb1EqxouaVxheCt1fBTBa