Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:49:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [IDEA] nLockSpace?  (Read 967 times)
btceic (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 11:08:32 PM

I was chatting with a fellow developer at work today and he was asking about nLockTime, and as I was explaining it to him, it occurred to me if it would be possible to also have nLockSpace, which would lock a transaction to a specified set of x,y geo coordinates.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
moderate

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

nearly dead

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:19:32 AM

it occurred to me if it would be possible to also have nLockSpace, which would lock a transaction to a specified set of x,y geo coordinates.

I take that you are imagine implementing this based on IP addresses ? This makes no sense as lots of IPs are dynamically attributed, lots of devices are constantly changing its position, and you would need all the ISPs in the world to collaborate with providing the geographical address of a given client that is using a certain IP at a certain moment.
btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:26:41 AM

it occurred to me if it would be possible to also have nLockSpace, which would lock a transaction to a specified set of x,y geo coordinates.

I take that you are imagine implementing this based on IP addresses ? This makes no sense as lots of IPs are dynamically attributed, lots of devices are constantly changing its position, and you would need all the ISPs in the world to collaborate with providing the geographical address of a given client that is using a certain IP at a certain moment.

No based upon lat/lng

For instance:

Walt Disney World is at:28.38602,-81.563873

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Walt+Disney+World+Resort,+Lake+Buena+Vista,+FL&hl=en&ll=28.38602,-81.563873&spn=0.010704,0.013797&sll=28.480763,-81.368866&sspn=0.005347,0.006899&oq=walt+dis&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A

With gps we can get (last I heard) within 3x3 yards with commercial gps.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:29:32 AM

Damn you BitCoin Protocol, you keep surprising me.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:31:33 AM

This would be a privacy issue, because then the whole blockchain would know where you were at a given time, forever. Also What use case?
moderate

nearly dead

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:32:57 AM

No based upon lat/lng

I don't get it, who would expose himself like that ? Combining nLocktime with this imaginary nLockspace is a serious personal security issue. Using nLockspace alone solves what exactly ?
btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:43:55 AM

Combined with nLockTime you could for instance only release a transaction at a given time and space.

Treasure hunts?

Dunno just an idea....

moderate

nearly dead

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:50:51 AM

Combined with nLockTime you could for instance only release a transaction at a given time and space.

Treasure hunts?

That would be a very boring hunt (i.e. not a hunt at all) for those that know bitcoin.
btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 01:01:09 AM

Treasure hunts?

That would be a very boring hunt (i.e. not a hunt at all) for those that know bitcoin.

Not if the coordinates are hashed...

Imagine your great great grandchildren being able to go to a physical location that you went to years before and being able to see a picture of you that only they could see by knowing the coordinates and time.

moderate

nearly dead

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 01:08:05 AM

Treasure hunts?

Describe things in more detail please. You certainly mean something more here, otherwise this is instantly crackable. I'm still missing the step where you claim the transaction, does it involve using a device that spits your current coordinates ? How do you validate that ?
btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 01:24:05 AM

Treasure hunts?

Describe things in more detail please. You certainly mean something more here, otherwise this is instantly crackable.

So we currently have nLockTime which for purposes of this conversation lock a transaction until a certain date and time.

Well... combined with nLockSpace a transaction would be locked so that it would not release until a certain date and time and physical location (again via gps x,y coordinates).

The purpose of nLockSpace would be to confine a transaction to a specified location on earth (within a certain degree of error, i.e. a few feet here or there), also given the correct time coordinates via nLockTime.

The data contained in the transaction (to be unlocked) does not necessarily have to be money/bitcoin but a message, for instance a video, audio or picture of you at that location months, years or decades later.

Today we have pictures with geo location embedded in them, well.... what if the picture of you existed at the location that you actually took it?

Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 02:10:50 AM

... if it would be possible to also have nLockSpace, which would lock a transaction to a specified set of x,y geo coordinates.

No.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 06:12:07 AM

It's possible for me to know exactly where on Earth I am, via GPS.

However, in order for Bitcoin - or any other blockchain-based ledger, for that matter - to support a feature like this, I need to be able to prove to the network that I'm there.

How do you propose this would be done?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:20:52 AM

The lock time operates on the network's rough agreement of the passage of time/the passage of blocks.  The network has no way to come to any sort of agreement, not even a rough one, on your location.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 04:56:11 AM

Not if the coordinates are hashed...[\quote]

It would depend on your precision.  Down to the metre is 0.00001.  So the earth contains ~(180x360x100000)=6480000000 combinations.

So depending on how many you could check a you could do a second...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: