Bitcoin Forum
September 10, 2024, 02:15:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-12 Seeking Alpha: Bitcoin Part 2: Valuation?  (Read 1375 times)
Arvicco (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:23:48 AM

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1833202-bitcoin-part-2-valuation

Bitcoin Part 2: Valuation?
Nov 12 2013, 14:36 

Disclosure: I am long EBAY. (More...)

There has been increased media, economist and investor coverage on Bitcoin recently, possibly due to the run up in pricing over the last week. So here I present a part 2 to my earlier article on what Bitcoin is (and isn't), and step off the solid foundation of reality into the free fall of speculation.

I've seen roughly three methods for valuation of bitcoins: 1) compare to gold (GLD), 2) compare to a company providing similar service such as Western Union (WU) or Paypal (EBAY), or 3) calculate values needed to support the transactional value.

You can get a good look at the comparison to gold from The Global Macro Investor here. The basic argument is that bitcoin is "digital gold". To me this smacks of valuing Amazon Web Services (AMZN) by comparing it to the value of annual rainfall in Seattle because they both are made from 'clouds'. To be fair however, the analogy is that both have permanently limited supply and are increasingly difficult to dig up. Gold however has several very significant features that bitcoins are unlikely duplicate. First gold does have industrial use - it makes for a great sound conductor among other things. Second there is intrinsic consumer demand to acquire and hold the mental for non-economic reasons - lots of women like the shiny stuff no matter the price - which means there is persistent non-speculative demand. Third is that gold has a long history of being used as a store of value, even if it has been volatile recently. While gold speculation, and even gold as store of value, relies on one guy paying as much as or more than the previous guy for something he won't use, there is a long history of this so he is pretty likely to find the next guy. And let's not underestimate the scope of items 2 and 3 - India imported some 860 tons of the stuff in 2012 alone. Bitcoin may have been designed to have decreasing marginal supply ala gold and may use metal like terms, but no one is going to make bangles out of them. Obviously I'm not enamored of gold as investment, but trying to equate the value of bitcoin stock to the value of gold ignores both real consumer values for gold and the thousand year history of holding it as value.

The second method of valuing bitcoins - by relation to a company or other monetary store - is copied (with due skepticism) here. The rough idea is to try to equate the total value of bitcoins to market cap of Western Union, Paypal, or the monetary base of Turkey (I'm not making this up). Hopefully it is obvious to SA readers that comparing the aggregate value of a niche medium of exchange to the discounted cash flow of a functioning business is a bit odd. Western Union's aggregate 'exchange' was about 70 billion in 2012, considerably more than its market value. Further, if Western Union were to hold onto transactions in the mode of a commodity speculator, it would quickly be a worthless entity. Here recall that Bitcoin is an open-source computer system protocol which logs transfers of bitcoins - it is not a company taking fees. The protocol is intentionally distributed in nature and allows for competition in attempting to take transactional fees (meaning you too can join the competition). In my previous article I did suggest that bitcoin might (at the limits of imagination) replace a fledging national currency as a way to leap frog the process of joining more traditional (and more expensive) international financial systems. What I had in mind was Somalia or Laos - a far smaller entity than Turkey - who lack financial infrastructure.

The third mechanism, working out a value necessary to support transactions, strikes me as the most sensible approach. I take the approach from Guan Yang here. The basic concept is to estimate the value of all transactions on the Bitcoin network and then use that to calculate how much each bitcoin must be worth to support that transactional value. Thanks to blockchain.info we have some statistics to estimate from. For the last few months, the bitcoin turn over has been about 250,000 btc/day. That's on a total base of about 9.6 million bitcoins (11.9 million mined minus about 1.5 million lost minus another 0.8 million for Dread Pirate Roberts which the FBI is unlikely to confiscate). Again according to blockchain.info, at market exchange rates, that's about US$25million per day for the last few months, with a recent spike to $150million. Calculating for turnover, we get an average bitcoin velocity (rate of spending) of 1 bitcoin per 38 days. Clearly a good portion of bitcoins are held for speculation and not spent. That is further supported by seeing that trade volume is generally above 10% of transaction volume, and often much higher. What about the longer term though? I've compared Bitcoin to PayPal before, so I'll start from there. In Q3 2013, PayPal had $44 billion in transactions, or $176 billion annualized. That would be an enormous growth and wildly optimistic. Assuming today's supply and velocity (9.6 million bitcoins flowing at 1 bitcoin per 38 days), bitcoins would need to be valued at about $1,900 per bitcoin to support that load. If we assume that it takes 4 years to get there and a 10% loss of bitcoins we'd have 14.3 million bitcoins and a value of $1,275 each. However, if people hoarded bitcoins less and spent them faster, in theory bitcoins could be spent at a rate of 24 times per day each (a whopping 230million btc per day with the current stock), then the value in four years necessary to carry $176 billion in transactions would be just $1.39. All of that leads back to the inherent dilemma of a virtual currency - its value derives from use, but the more it's used the less scarce it is. If you invest in bitcoins you must consider the risk of bitcoin losing users and the risk of it gaining too many.

There are some reasons to be optimistic for Bitcoin use; though what it implies for bitcoin price is unclear. More real-world services are accepting payment in bitcoin: food delivery company Thuisbezorgd, and more dramatic apartments in Shanghai from Shanda which sold out in minutes. Also notable is the very quick growth of interest in China. I'm only speculating, but Chinese interest in alternative investments, getting around capital controls and the notoriously opaque central bank might give Bitcoin a loyal and potentially large user base.

There may well be considerable upside to bitcoin speculating. The China market, and the install base that could generate present a potential for Bitcoin to stick long term. But for now, I still stick to my earlier assessment, that Bitcoin has been a wildly successful experiment but the greatest risk is the next generation of the technology. Bitcoin was built to provide fast and cheap transactions - 10 to 60 minutes is a lot better than ACH. But already faster, and probably cheaper, payment infrastructures exist - such as Vocalink in England with transaction times in seconds. Ultimately I think that something heavily influenced by, but much better than Bitcoin will come along.

Arvicco (OP)

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:25:19 AM

Yet another "I don't get it, so it must be worthless..." type of article from yet another "investment expert". Oh, well, what's new? Not worth your click, just for the record.

davidgdg

Activity: 552

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:34:12 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 07:44:50 AM by davidgdg

The article is worthless because it assumes absurd velocity figures. The velocities of most national currencies are in the 1.5 to 2.5 range. The authors lower bound value of ~ 2 dollars assumes a velocity of 24x365 which is Weimar-esque. If you treat BTC as a currency and assume a velocity of 2 then its theoretical max value is simply one half of the total value of annual transactions it supports (ie the size of the BTC economy). For a PayPal sized economy of say 40 billion USD  (fairly modest in the context of the global economy) that would give a value per coin of about $ 1600. If bitcoin transactions were to become a significant fraction of GDP then you can multiply that figure by 10-50.

Edit: if I use paypal's turnover of 70 billion, assume 10 mill BTC and a velocity of 2 then the value of each BTC is 35 billion divided by 10 million = USD 3,500

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
Arvicco (OP)

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 08:05:03 AM

Another SA article on Bitcoin today, just as clueless as the first one. Not even worth its own thread, really:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1836602-is-bitcoin-for-real-macroeconomic-considerations-for-an-alternative-currency

Is Bitcoin For Real? Macroeconomic Considerations For An Alternative Currency

Nov 13 2013, 12:50 
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.

The history of money has certainly evolved since the barter days. Over the years, payments have been used in the form of tobacco, elephant hair, stone money, salt and also in the form of commodity currency, or money that could be redeemed for precious metals or objects with limited supply. More recently, economies around the world have created and authorized what's known as fiat currency, that is, money that has no intrinsic value and cannot be exchanged for precious metals. Its value depends on the confidence of a particular people or governments.

The advantages of fiat currency can also be considered its disadvantages. For instance, when a particular government faces a debt crisis, in which its borrowing rate approaches catastrophic levels, the government's central bank can issue enough funds to pay back its debt, improve its debt outlook, and lower its borrowing rates. Such an action would lead to dilution of the economy's currency, which also means that the cash amounts the citizens are holding would be equivalent to the lower, diluted amount in relation to other basket of currencies (that's the disadvantage). That cycle reverses eventually as the economy is seen as a haven for cheap goods and services - inviting trade to its shores. Perhaps overseas travelers might find this particular economy as an attractive travel destination, one in which their country's currency might go a long way. Growth then picks up through trade and eventually the currency's value recovers. Notice how in this example, a stronger currency revives a weaker currency in exchange for goods and services demanded.

What is a bitcoin?

A bitcoin (BITCOIN) is a bit different. It is not a commodity currency so it is not backed by gold (GLD) or silver (SLV) and while it is considered a fiduciary currency since it is backed by confidence and can be exchanged for goods and services, it is also fairly unique. That is - the bitcoin, its value, its creators (miners), and its participants are not regulated by any government body. Perhaps that was the idea behind its design - a free market currency the value of which is controlled only by its participants.

Bitcoins are created through a complicated process called mining, in which bitcoins are awarded to miners uncovering new coins. The process is discussed in more detail by economist Francois Velde, but basically, miners solve difficult mathematical problems that require much computer hardware, electricity, and time. Their work is then validated by a community of other miners and new bitcoins are added to a ledger in the form of blocks. Every four years the new currency units issued are equal to half of the prior four years. So 10.5 million were created in the first 4 years, 5.25 million will be created in the next 4 years, then 2.125, and so on. Total number of bitcoins will eventually come close to but never exceed 21 million. That means that over time, bitcoins will be more difficult to create so less on-the-run bitcoin will be issued. We've currently just surpassed ~11.8 million bitcoins (10.5+5.25/4) and the total balance as of this writing was $4.6 billion (that balance was only $105 million a year ago).

Why it's incredibly risky…

While I consider Satoshi Nakamato, pseudonymous creator of bitcoin, a smart guy, I nevertheless find enormous flaws in this so called currency. Building confidence in fiat currency is always extremely important - in that sense, bitcoin's popularity and acceptance is definitely a good thing. As the community generates more confidence, more individuals and businesses should accept bitcoin as a form of currency for goods and services. Excellent.

Now here comes a list of issues.

What makes major fiat currency attractive is its full acceptance, at least in its domain. While it has no intrinsic value, in most major countries (all I believe), for example, currency is backed by the collateral held at its central banks in the form of securities. The central banks control the value of the collateral and the currency in circulation. The governments, institutions, and all other entities accept and distribute payments in this currency leading to the currency's liquidity, relative stability and full acceptance. The governments support the currency and the institutions where the currencies are accepted and trade balances, which are vital to a country's GDP, are absolutely critical to that currency's relative stability.

What is the bitcoin backed by? What system is driving bitcoin? How do you value bitcoin relative to other fiat currencies? The value to me seems to be driven by only three factors, factors which are commonly embedded in extremely risky assets: flow of funds (of off-the-run bitcoin), new issue of on-the-run bitcoin (a known amount), and the value assigned to both only through the speculation of bids and asks. No collateral. We have no idea how much of the recent spike in value is actually being driven by trade for goods and services (it is likely minimal). The miners are also not in actuality uncovering anything valuable. They're solving math problems to create pieces of code.

This is pure speculation.

In that sense, I see a bitcoin as "valuable" as a risky penny stock operating on unsecured loans with a promise to its investors that it will make money at some point in the future (at which point its value would rise). So as long as enough bidders believe that the price per share will rise based on pure speculation, then the penny stock will continue to increase in value, sort of like the bitcoin.

In a world where even the S&P 500 (SPY) is considered a risky asset, despite our ability to value its future cash flows using real drivers and dividends, some investors are pouring money into code that has absolutely no actual value and they consider it a safe haven.

But bitcoin is also risky for a different reason.

I do believe that governments will and should eventually intervene to protect themselves and their citizens from this currency.

Why? For the same reason governments should have intervened in the past when risky investments were passed on to the less knowledgeable with a promise that these securities will just keep growing in value.

Another reason why governments might intervene is because individuals and businesses might turn to bitcoin to avoid paying taxes. For instance, if you're a lucky owner of a $1 million house and you accept bitcoin as payment, you could technically sell your house for $1 (or however much to avoid capital gains) and 2,584 bitcoins (at the time of writing). I am not a tax attorney, but how do you pay taxes on bitcoin? You can then technically go to a bitcoin exchange and trade the 2,584 bitcoins for $1 million. This seems to me like a huge risk for governments to take. Technically you could do the same with cash, but then you could be criminally charged with tax evasion. That general deterrence keeps citizens from turning to tax evasion, something that doesn't yet exist in the bitcoin market. By the way, this is also why bitcoins appeared to be a popular form of currency for money launderers. Criminals chose to hide their money in a currency that is free of regulation (unless you count the FBI as its regulator).

Another way to understand why governments will intervene is to view bitcoin through a prism of an extreme example. Imagine a world in which all seek out bitcoin as their currency of choice, and all have lost confidence in other fiat currencies. The odds of this happening are about as high as all converting to that one penny stock with a promise, but if true, you'd technically have a race towards bitcoin that would eventually lead to a state of chaos and global anarchy. Accepted would be only bitcoin, scarce resources, like gold and silver, and real assets, which would all be in the hands of a few, while all others would face tragedy.

And in a world where governments would not allow for that to happen and eventually find a punitive way to control bitcoin, the currency would lose much of its flavor.

At that point receivers of bitcoin would need to assess its value relative to other fiduciary currencies (which they can't do) and decide whether or not to accept payment through this arbitrary currency, one that at least until now has seen much more volatility than other fiduciary currencies. Reputational risk might also be a huge factor in destroying this currency's speculative value.

Conclusion

The spike of the bitcoin from $10 to nearly $400 (+4000%) in about a year (chart above), without any way to assess if the increase was legitimate or just pure speculation doesn't seem to strike some as odd - they think they've uncovered something valuable - and no one else has found it just yet.

In my research, I even noticed an investor who is taken seriously in some circles who said that one bitcoin would eventually rise to $700,000. Imagine that. Paying for a nice house with one coin that doesn't even exist. Or we can live in the world of reality where that's never going to happen.

Additional disclosure: This article is intended for informational and educational purposes only and shall not be construed to constitute investment advice. Nothing contained herein shall constitute a solicitation, recommendation, or endorsement to buy or sell any security or private fund.

davidgdg

Activity: 552

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 08:59:29 AM

There are no arguments in there worth responding to.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1006

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:17:27 AM

The article is worthless because it assumes absurd velocity figures. The velocities of most national currencies are in the 1.5 to 2.5 range. The authors lower bound value of ~ 2 dollars assumes a velocity of 24x365 which is Weimar-esque. If you treat BTC as a currency and assume a velocity of 2 then its theoretical max value is simply one half of the total value of annual transactions it supports (ie the size of the BTC economy). For a PayPal sized economy of say 40 billion USD  (fairly modest in the context of the global economy) that would give a value per coin of about $ 1600. If bitcoin transactions were to become a significant fraction of GDP then you can multiply that figure by 10-50.

Edit: if I use paypal's turnover of 70 billion, assume 10 mill BTC and a velocity of 2 then the value of each BTC is 35 billion divided by 10 million = USD 3,500

Excellent analysis.
Interestingly, I see on blockchain.info that daily turniver of BTC equivalent in USD is about $200m which is $73bn annualized. Impressive indeed.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 11:37:38 AM

"In my research, I even noticed an investor who is taken seriously in some circles who said that one bitcoin would eventually rise to $700,000. Imagine that. Paying for a nice house with one coin that doesn't even exist. Or we can live in the world of reality where that's never going to happen."

imagine that:

paying in

salt
glaspearls
feathers

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: