Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:12:07 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is still Inflationary!  (Read 1080 times)
User705 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:35:09 AM

It's nice to see new ATH but bitcoin currently is still very much inflationary.  The higher the price the higher the amount of new fiat needed to soak up the new coins created.  Where do you think the equilibrium is?  At current exchange rate it's about $2 million USD per day.   

wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:36:28 AM

I do think that the price is INFLATED

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
mvidetto

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:43:49 AM

It's nice to see new ATH but bitcoin currently is still very much inflationary.  The higher the price the higher the amount of new fiat needed to soak up the new coins created.  Where do you think the equilibrium is?  At current exchange rate it's about $2 million USD per day.   

This is only necessary if the miners are selling the newly minted coins.  Else, the amount of traded coins on the exchanges one would think remains stable.
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:34:48 AM

This is only necessary if the miners are selling the newly minted coins.  Else, the amount of traded coins on the exchanges one would think remains stable.
This point was related to my other post you responded to. Also, miners need to pay their bills.

Elon Krusky
4mherewego

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:20:35 AM

(The number of dollars created per day) / (The number of bitcoins created per day) >> 400
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:49:02 PM

An inflationary currency is simply one that has an increasing money stock. So, yes bitcoin is inflationary because additional bitcoins are being mined, but it has nothing to do with the price of BTC measured in fiat.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:51:46 PM

An inflationary currency is simply one that has an increasing money stock. So, yes bitcoin is inflationary because additional bitcoins are being mined, but it has nothing to do with the price of BTC measured in fiat.

Well it does to some extent.  If  x new BTC are being added to the exchange each day (net BTC inflows) then y USD also needs to be added (net USD inflows) or the exchange rate will drop.

The higher the exchange rate goes the higher the y/x ratio must also go.   
reactive4ce

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:57:07 PM

Well it does to some extent.  If  x new BTC are being added to the exchange each day (net BTC inflows) then y USD also needs to be added (net USD inflows) or the exchange rate will drop.

The higher the exchange rate goes the higher the y/x ratio must also go.   

But when your daytrader, you may buy and sell the same bitcoins/USD many times during one day.

So the y/x ratio does not matter much in my opinion
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:05:12 PM

History shows roughly about half of the mined coins are immediately sold on the exchanges. I would imagine the sold percentage only goes higher during a bubble.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: