Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:24:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just bought bitcoin using Coinbase, need help with paper wallet please  (Read 1126 times)
tmzn32 (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:08:06 AM

Hey everyone, I just bought my first bitcoin with coinbase. I got a free $5 worth of coin, but have to wait 4 days for the rest.  Anyways, I want to test the $5 worth using the paper wallet so I can keep it offline without any risk.  Am I able to write it down, save it somewhere like my safe, and thats it?  Do I need a printer?  Anyone with a step by step guide?  I can really use some help. Thanks!
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 04:33:47 AM

Its very simple. Login to coinbase, press account setting, integrations, and then create a paper wallet. Then simply print the page given to you. If you dont have a printer then write everything down, and take a screenshot of the page!

tmzn32 (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:58:42 AM

but first send the bitcoins to that randomly generated key? Couldnt someone randomly generate that key and have access to my wallet?
zeetu

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 05:00:14 AM

Check out the guide here: https://blockchain.info/wallet/paper-tutorial
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 06:22:50 AM

but first send the bitcoins to that randomly generated key? Couldnt someone randomly generate that key and have access to my wallet?

I don't understand what you mean. No one can easily replicate a private key.

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:29:02 AM

the chances of a random address collision are very very slim.  search for it. 

personally i generate my paper wallets using bitaddress.org on an offline computer booted from a linux live CD but that's just how it was done in 2012.  so much easier now, haha.

camalolo

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:30:42 AM

The odds someone generates a private key that you already generated (i.e. key collision) are so low that you don't need to worry about it Smiley

Check this for more info : http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/7724/what-happens-if-your-bitcoin-client-generates-an-address-identical-to-another-pe

Cheers
enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:35:20 AM

Its very simple. Login to coinbase, press account setting, integrations, and then create a paper wallet. Then simply print the page given to you. If you dont have a printer then write everything down, and take a screenshot of the page!

But then coinbase knows your private key.

enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:37:02 AM

personally i generate my paper wallets using bitaddress.org on an offline computer booted from a linux live CD but that's just how it was done in 2012.  so much easier now, haha.

How can you access bitaddress.org on an offline computer? And doesn't bitaddress.org owner then know your private key?
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 06:41:09 AM

But then coinbase knows your private key.

Well you trust them with your bank account info so I'm sure you trust them with your private keys. Personally I don't care if coinbase knows my private keys as long as they don't misuse it. Also you should contact them and ask if they do store your private keys. There is a chance that they might not.

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:46:55 AM

How can you access bitaddress.org on an offline computer? And doesn't bitaddress.org owner then know your private key?

i boot tails and access the site, then disable internet connection.  then generate new addresses, print and turn off the computer.  bitaddress.org does everything in your browser no info given to the site.  it is open source so you can be confident others have reviewed the code.  

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: