Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:31:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Had 4 erupters going by now only 3 are being detected.  (Read 673 times)
nyktalgia1 (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:53:14 AM

I am using windows xp, just got 5 USB erupters.  I got 4 working and I accidently unplugged my USB hub and plugged it back in but now I am only running off 3 erupters. 

Does this have to do with windows xp or the usb hub I'm using?  I'm using a cheap 7-port USB hub with no external power.   I had 4 running just fine but after I tried to readjust my setup for better cooling I disconnected them. 

I am wondering why I can't get all 5 to work, but now I am just wondering why I can't even get 4 to work anymore.  The 4th still shows up but there is an exclamation mark under Device Manager.

Anybody know if its just windows xp or the hub I'm using?

I wouldn't recommend PRC or SAFEDICE. PRimedice hasnt fucked me yet but we'll see...
tripppn

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 06:05:25 AM

I'm surprised you got 4 to work at 1 time.  You need to get a powered usb hub one that has a good PSU.

Edit:  The reason your having problems is there's not enough power coming from your PCs USB port to power the BEs reliably.

“You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer.”
― Frank Zappa
nyktalgia1 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:16:19 AM

trippin, why would it show up in device manager?  It just has enough power to detect the erupter, but not enough to actually run it maybe?  I am skeptical just because I always thought windows was a pos, and I run the "older" version of it now haha.     Its just frustrating cuz I had 4 working, and if I hadn't messed with it probabaly still would be.  I'm pretty sure I didnt change anything though when I plugged it back in.

WHen I run CGMiner it says,  "Failed to initialize usb 2:5, is it correct device? "  Or something along those lines... lol  So I figure it has power, so it should be able to run.....

And If all 5 lights come on each erupter thru the hub before I start hashing, does that necessarily mean all of them will work?

I wouldn't recommend PRC or SAFEDICE. PRimedice hasnt fucked me yet but we'll see...
MarketTime

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:59:03 AM

I am using windows xp, just got 5 USB erupters.  I got 4 working and I accidently unplugged my USB hub and plugged it back in but now I am only running off 3 erupters. 

Does this have to do with windows xp or the usb hub I'm using?  I'm using a cheap 7-port USB hub with no external power.   I had 4 running just fine but after I tried to readjust my setup for better cooling I disconnected them. 

I am wondering why I can't get all 5 to work, but now I am just wondering why I can't even get 4 to work anymore.  The 4th still shows up but there is an exclamation mark under Device Manager.

Anybody know if its just windows xp or the hub I'm using?

It should be power problem, need some powered USB hub....
tripppn

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 08:12:08 AM

In my experience the light will come on solid with miniscule amounts of power but to actually get them to mine they need enough juice.  I've never had any luck with cgminer or bfg... I could never figure out the scripting for it.  I've always used the bitminter client and now I run a RPi with minepeon and had the same experience with both, when I don't have enough power they don't run.
Get a good quality powered hub and you'll be fine.

“You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer.”
― Frank Zappa
nyktalgia1 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:02:50 AM

I'm thinking it could be my drivers too, but yea, I need to do more debugging I guess just to make sure.  I don't like spending money for no reason.

CosaNostra

Activity: 843
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:06:02 AM

What if you just delete the device with an exclamation mark in Device Manager? And then restart the computer?

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
nyktalgia1 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:19:49 AM

I tried that, and I tried updating the driver with specific drivers... nothing worked .   I also installed newer drivers (so I thought) which seemed to detect at least 4 of my erupters, but now CGminer doesnt detect any of them, so I'm thinking I need to use a different client like he said above...

nyktalgia1 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:49:04 AM

They were working but with older drivers, now I can't get them to work at all, I am planning on upgrading to windows 7 anyways...

xsrvx

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:58:30 PM

You will probably have better luck on Windows 7 but I agree it sounds like a power issue. Even on powered hubs I run into trouble if I try to run too many erupters. It's a delicate balance of power with those things. What you could do is try them 1 at a time and see if the driver loads on each one, then slowly add one at a time till you see the problem.
nyktalgia1 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:50:03 PM

I ran the bitminter client and it seemed to work but I dont like the interface because I cant connect to the old pool i was using as well.  Is there a way to connect to multiple pools with bitminter?  Does it even matter if you mine from multiple pools? I would think so...

nyktalgia1 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:06:32 PM

Just tell me if I buy that piece of shit windows 7 my shit will work better at least... I might need a new hub but I think that is the least of my problems.  I just want to find some shit that works I don't care how jenky it is.  I'm tempted to using linux but I play too many vid games, fuck you bill gates and fuck you microsoft!!!

nyktalgia1 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:49:13 PM

How can you not like bill gates hate?  I rly do appreciate the help, this one fkin kid is just trying tos ell me shit i wonder what his prices are asic wat are your prices on a usb hub 10 port it better not be more than 20 dollars unless it has a fleshlight installed...

bsnmine

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:24:07 PM

Make sure you've got a solid .5 watts per device. Check your powe rsource, that's almost always the root cause with the USB erupters.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: