Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:12:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm a pre-noob miner that just spent a lot of money on hardware. Advice wanted..  (Read 1418 times)
Tayc34 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:40:21 AM

I was given advice to start mining when btc was <$1, but like most people, I laughed it off and kept playing WoW instead. Now that I've made some money in other industries, I've decided to give mining a go. After a little research, and I mean very little, I sent Cointerra over $24,000 for 4 Terraminer IV, expected deliver in late February. This will provide me with 8 TH/S, which isn't bad for my first setup. I did some calculations, and even if dif hits 3 billion and price stays about the same, I'm projecting to actually pay off my gear in about a month.

Anyway, if there are any hardcore miners that read this, can you please give me your input. I would have asked my friends that mine for their opinions, but quite frankly, none of my friends even know what btc are.

Thanks
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
derekleong75

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:01:31 AM

Whats your projected diff end Feb 2014?
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 07:05:38 AM

This is just a ball park figure...but i think it will be around 1.5 billion at least
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:12:21 AM

This is just a ball park figure...but i think it will be around 1.5 billion at least

We're currently at 0.5 billion (3.5 days from 0.6) and recently the difficulty has been doubling every month, roughly. If this trend keeps up, at the end of february, we should have 8 times the difficulty, or more than 4 billion by the end of february.
Tayc34 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:35:11 AM

Based on what I've been reading about the predicted number of mining rigs being released over the next few months, people are saying 1.5 bil. I doubled that number to be safe, and still saw a return at current btc value. Even if it is higher, the btc value will also be higher as well, hopefully.
derekleong75

Activity: 243

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:18:07 AM

I hope it will be 1.5 bill too. Smiley
Feneusens

Activity: 275

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:13:50 AM

I was given advice to start mining when btc was <$1, but like most people, I laughed it off and kept playing WoW instead. Now that I've made some money in other industries, I've decided to give mining a go. After a little research, and I mean very little, I sent Cointerra over $24,000 for 4 Terraminer IV, expected deliver in late February. This will provide me with 8 TH/S, which isn't bad for my first setup. I did some calculations, and even if dif hits 3 billion and price stays about the same, I'm projecting to actually pay off my gear in about a month.

Anyway, if there are any hardcore miners that read this, can you please give me your input. I would have asked my friends that mine for their opinions, but quite frankly, none of my friends even know what btc are.

Thanks

You are late pal, if you started when BTC was <$1 you are millionaire by now, right now miners have hard time even trying to break-even....

Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 01:59:02 PM

Thanks

OH man, even CPU mining would have earn you a lot at that time.. too bad I didn't know anything about BTC until few months back...
logicbomb666

Activity: 260

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 02:50:27 PM

My advice - Get very accustomed to not making money in the BTC world.  If you can treat it like any other hobby that you will put money into just for the fun of it, then you will be fine.  If you treat it like a money printing business, you are in for a lot of stress and even more lost money.

I think snare rolls should be used as a currency.
Corenin
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:36:40 PM

My advice - Get very accustomed to not making money in the BTC world.  If you can treat it like any other hobby that you will put money into just for the fun of it, then you will be fine.  If you treat it like a money printing business, you are in for a lot of stress and even more lost money.

Agree, guess its best to stay out of mining for now... unless its for fun..
Tayc34 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:38:35 PM

My goal isn't to make a bunch of fiat currency. My goal is to make btc. It would be nice to mine enough btc to trade away to pay back the fiat I've spent on my mining rigs, but after that I will be collecting btc and keeping/spending them, not trading them away for fiat. I really think by the end of February 8 TH/S will still be good enough to mine successfully. All the MH and GH miners will be the ones that are wasting their time probably. And yes, if I don't make a penny, that's ok. At least I'll be contributing to the cause! Thanks for your inputs guys.
ripple

Activity: 287
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:53:18 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2013, 01:16:31 PM by ripple

You are likely to just break even on your Cointerra Terraminer IV equipment if you start mining end-Feb.

This assumes a conservative Bitcoin price of $440 and a difficulty level of increase at 68% per month, equivalent to the average for the last 10 2-week difficulty level changes.

However the Bitcoin price rises to $800 you will double your money, i.e. obtain a 100% return on investment, and if it falls to $100 you will lose most your money.

Coincidentally you will be in a similar position to straightforward investing in Bitcoins. You will have twice as much fun as any investor and so I applaud your objectives to help the Bitcoin world.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: